Q: About 6BR in a Rem 700 action

young1982

I'm almost certain I'll be getting a Remington 700P in .223 as my first centrefire in the next few months, but would love to convert it to a 6BR in the future. My question is would this rifle make a good base for a 6BR, and also am I right in thinking that there are issues with 6BR and magazine.

Thanks

young1982

Sorry no it won't. The .223 and the 6BR have different bolt face diameters. If you wanted to convert a Remy you would need a .22-250/.243 or .308

Sorry to spoil your thoughts.

Enjoy the .223 its a great caliber.

Cheers

Dave

Any smith worth his sort can open up the bolt face and fit a sako extractor, so yes it can be done.

The question is, would the extra expanse of these (£300 at a guess!!) operations be comparable to trading your 223 for a similar rifle with the correct boltface and then having the 6mmBR conversion carried out.

There is a well documented mag modifiction which will give problem free feeding with the BR case, which again can be carried out by your smith.

Ian.

I supose you could get a replacement bolt. Like the ones from Pacific Tool And Guage.

Personally the cost would be prohibitive on a remy action.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for help boys I'm flying solo down here in Pembs, most of my friends that shoot only have rimfire rifles so I don't have many people to quiz. Even my local gun dealers don't know much so I'm left to asking questions on the net.

I'll give it 12months with the .223 and then starting looking for a 6BR, do you two buy 6BR rifles off the shelf or have them made to your speck

ATB

The only factory rifles in 6BR will be Cooper or now Savage are making them.

Normally they are down the custom route or getting a gunsmith to re barrel an existing rifle.

Cheers

Dave

Good point made about the PTG replacement bolts.

They are available with standard Rem extractor (which works and is easily replaced if it breaks) or the Sako style extractor for about the same price (£130 I think) and with bolt handle fitted for a little more.

This is probably the cheapest way of using a .223 actioned rifle for something else - as Vermincinerator points out, the conversion of opening out boltface and installing Sako extractor alone would cost in the region of £300 - which is not economically sound when the 2nd hand action is worth less than that....

You can buy them from Midway UK, but any gunsmith in the UK should be able to get the right sized one for you when and if you decide to convert to the BR case.

Young,

I had a Cooper Varminter in 6mmBR an absolutely superb rifle but not cheap.

The only downside was that it was only available in standard 1-14 twist so you would be limited to bullets in the 55-80grn range, not that this is a hinderence a US based buddy of mine has the same rifle and using the same load as me scored a 501yd Praire Dog kill using a 65grn V-max.

For a premium you can specify a faster twist barrel but you are looking at the thick end of £350 however i have heard that you can order a 243 1-10 twist barrel and ask for it to be chambered in 6mmBR thus evading that premium.

Ian.

Ian,

What are your reasons for this?

Young 1982, not wanting to pinch your thread but I'm in a similar frame as I was going to buy a 243 maybe Remy or sako and rebarrel to 6mm br when shot out.

Now thinking I might as well jump straight in but the rifle choices are limited without going custom as you've probably found.

Why aren't Savages more popular generally then?

What are the problems or reasons against them, or is it purely less efficient marketing?

I have a Burris scope that is very good, but these don't seem to get such a large following.

i saw a factory savage, rebarrelled in 6mmbr shoot fabulously yesterday. FWIW this is the most cost effective way, and easiest , i reckon.They will live with a custom barrelled gun all day.

i saw a factory savage, rebarrelled in 6mmbr shoot fabulously yesterday. FWIW this is the most cost effective way, and easiest , i reckon.They will live with a custom barrelled gun all day.

Maybe, but who in their right mind could live with one of them? Awful, ugly things!

To all you guys who push Savage, would you actually buy one? Some how i think not.

It seems to me a bit like the labour governments schooling debacle, "State schools are good enough for your kids but not for ours" ;)

I have owned a Savage as well as handling and shooting several, and can honestly they are the most horrible rifles i have ever shot, and i will also say no matter how good they shoot, i would never never recommend one or ever buy one again.

Ian.

I once had this bird...she was slightly fatter than your average woman, i though she was pretty, none of my mates fancied her however.She was the best damned F**k i,ve ever had, and she could cook.

There,s a moral in there somewhere.

I once had this bird...she was slightly fatter than your average woman, i though she was pretty, none of my mates fancied her however.She was the best damned F**k i,ve ever had, and she could cook.

Being a chubby-chaser is one thing, but there's no justification for keeping an ugly, cheaply-made rifle!

Guest varmartin

Hope you married her dude....thats what wife stands for...Washing Ironing Fu**ing Etc ;)

Hell no...i didn,t

i went for a slim brunette, far better looking, and huge tits.......yep, i,m that shallow.

She cant bleedin cook either.

Cheaply Made? What do you call the Remington 700? An example of the Gun Makers Art? Both have similar construction methods except that Savage did it intelligently. They have interchangeable bolt heads, a real extractor, a collar on the barrel that allows swapping out barrels (adjusting head space) easily should you desire, and at least the damned recoil lug has a stud which locks it with the receiver. ...And the bolt handles aren't brazed onto the bolt bodies. Lastly, as Baldie says, they shoot. All JMHO, of course. ;) ~Andrew

Perhaps, if the sharpshooters in "Nam" had been issued with Savages and early benchresters used them, Remington's would not have the same appeal and Savages would be the customisers "choice".......

Remingtons might have better lock time (tho I am unsure about this) and certainly better trigger options, that's for sure. Also, they are a considerably more straight -forward than the Savage: not as many parts. Amidst financial troubles in the 60's and 70's they made about 8 model changes which make "early" Savage bolt guns an item to be avoided as not all parts interchange. By the time Savage got their (nearly) final variant done in the 1970's it was an up-hill fight for market share.

All this still doesn't change the fact that the Savages today are a rugged gun that shoot. I have sold them and even their most bargain-oriented "Starter Package" will shoot factory ammo with guns costing far more.

Adding to the Savage's appeal is the fact that there are better triggers available if you don't like the "accu-trigger" they produce, and threaded, chambered barrels are available. With a few inexpensive tools you can swap barrels and bolt heads in a matter of minutes. If folks on your side of the pond don't shoot Savages, they are missing a great opportunity to have a switch-barrel gun in their larder. Long story short, I have shot customs built on Savages and they are as accurate as any. ~Andrew

Archived