22/250 or .223

hughes.s

Some help needed please.

I have a .223 T3 1/12 twist shooting 55g spsx (drone pro 10 on top)very well. I intend to use this as a dedicated night rifle. ( I understand that is legal for muntjack in day light but the drone 10 for me is limited in day mode, at night it is the dogs, but I do not have the cojones to swop to a day scope with leupold qr mounts which I bought to do that). I have space (unrestricted) for a 22 center fire. So I would like a day rifle with a 1/9 twist for heaver bullets for use on muntjack as well as fox.

As I reload for .223 I was thinking of a howa 1500 blued sporter @£499.00 with a 1/9 twist, If I could find a 22/250 that would stabilise heavy (more than 55g) bullets useing factory ammo, barrel life of 1200 rounds would be acceptable. I have looked but cant find any. As I am writing this I have almost sold myself to the .223 ,but your thoughts will be appreciated.Can anybody put me onto 22/250 information, or give me hands on with a howa 1/9, in either caliber.

Hughes.s

Really in 22-250 you will need a 1-8 twist for the heavier bullets 1-9 may work but will be down to the individual barrel

I have no experience on the 223 but would guess it's the same

I think Tikka do a factory option 1-8 for 223 but not sure on others but will be more than the Howa one you've looked at

Happy hunting

Duey

You'll struggle to find a fast twist .22/250 in a factory rifle and factory ammunition with heavy bullets.

Semi custom rifle and reloading would be the only way for the .22/250.

I've just sold a factory t3 in .22/250 as shot out with nearly 2500 rounds down the barrel (ten years foxing out of it) it still held a decent group but had an almost new .223 sitting doing nothing and a mate wanting an action.

I never had any problem swapping scopes with detachable mounts untill I bought my drone pro, for some reason it would not hold zero now I have a dedicated mount for it.

As has been said already, there will be no fast twist 22/250's out there in factory spec.

A 9 twist barrel will stabilse Sierra 69gr TMK's which are very accurate from a 223 case and a great small deer/varmint round, in many cases a 9 twist will stabilise 75 AMAX, I recently built a rifle that does both bullet weights perfectly.

Looks like you only real option is the Howa for the money you want to spend and the twist you want.

Some help needed please.

I have a .223 T3 1/12 twist shooting 55g spsx (drone pro 10 on top)very well. I intend to use this as a dedicated night rifle. ( I understand that is legal for muntjack in day light but the drone 10 for me is limited in day mode, at night it is the dogs, but I do not have the cojones to swop to a day scope with leupold qr mounts which I bought to do that). I have space (unrestricted) for a 22 center fire. So I would like a day rifle with a 1/9 twist for heaver bullets for use on muntjack as well as fox.

As I reload for .223 I was thinking of a howa 1500 blued sporter @£499.00 with a 1/9 twist, If I could find a 22/250 that would stabilise heavy (more than 55g) bullets useing factory ammo, barrel life of 1200 rounds would be acceptable. I have looked but cant find any. As I am writing this I have almost sold myself to the .223 ,but your thoughts will be appreciated.Can anybody put me onto 22/250 information, or give me hands on with a howa 1/9, in either caliber.

Hughes.s

Have you considered a 1 for 1 variation for a 243 or 6.5 which would be far and away more flexible than any 22cf

Thanks for all the replies,

It looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet, and buy a tikka true 1/8. A .243 was offered but circumstances literally changed from a FAO visiting on Monday to a small land problem on Thursday.

Hughes.s

• 3 weeks later...

You won't be disappointed with a Tikka 1/8 .223. I shoot the same twist 223 in a 26 inch barrel and it's the dogs dangly things for accuracy with heavier bullets especially. V--max 60 grainers work well, and 75 Amax should be good too (although I shoot 69g TMKs in mine). I haven't got on as well with 55g Gamekings. Whilst still sub one inch and perfectly fine for Muntjac, they're not up to the precision of the heavier bullets. Heavy and slow is probably better for Muntys to avoid meat damage.

There's a thread running somewhere (another forum) regarding 22-250 V's 223 and for most hunting purposes, there is no real world advantage of the 22-250 other than a slightly more advantageous MPBR, but at the cost of half the barrel life of the 223. Once you're out over 200 yds, windage becomes an issue no-matter what you shoot, so learning to read the wind and to accurately compensate is usually more important than how flat shooting something is.

At the risk of repetition, I wouldn't use a 22-250 on Muntjac, or a .243 for that matter. I've seen the results, and it is usually a waste of good meat. Others may hold a different point of view of course.

I have a 1:9 .22-250, 69 TMK, 73 Berger no problem, 75 Amax no chance but others of the same twist do. As already mentioned, you'll struggle if at all possible to get a fast twist factory rifle. As you're already set up for .223 I'd stick with the same

Worth having a look around for s/h Sako Varmint in 223. Not going to cost very much and they have a fast twist barrel (can't remember what but I shot 75r out of it just fine). Sold mine to Gbal and he promptly shot a 0.25" moa group with it.

We would all like a factory 22-250 with a fast twist. There again, isn't that a 243...

Worth having a look around for s/h Sako Varmint in 223. Not going to cost very much and they have a fast twist barrel (can't remember what but I shot 75r out of it just fine). Sold mine to Gbal and he promptly shot a 0.25" moa group with it.

We would all like a factory 22-250 with a fast twist. There again, isn't that a 243...

sako did the 75 with either a 1-12 or a 1-8 , I have a 1-8 version and it's awesome

stick with the 223 no need for 22/250 and if you already own a tikka you need to stay away from howa ask any decent gun smith.i personally know four shooters who had howas all have been sent back or sold on,poor accuracy ,feeding problems rust on the stainless barrels etc,i could go on but your get the idea tikka all the way

Here's another angle-you already are familiar with the Tikka-why not get a clone Tikka with fast twist-the ergonomics etc will be the same....you have reloading gear....it's probably a better rifle too...and I'd rather have a used Tikka than a new Howa,if £ is tight. You would then have the option of heavier bullets if you wished to stretch a bit-further probably than a standard 22/250 could manage ( a fast twist factory Tikka 22/250 only comes in unobtainium,alas).And the same applies for two Sakos!

gbal

Would that clone be a Ruger ?.

Hughes.s[/quote

A Clone of a 223 Tikka would be another 223 TIkka.

I meant 'another rifle like the one you have and are familiar with" ie a 223 Tikka (but with a fast twist barrel)-especially as it is a justly well respected rifle.

My choice for me would be to stay with Sako,but that's irrelevant.

gbal

Thank you,

I read "clone" as the verb ( informal), "to produce near copies (of a person or thing)". All replies have been read over and over, it"s going to be a Tikka super varmint when one can be sourced.

Thanks to all.

Hughes.s

• 3 weeks later...

My 223 ackley is up for sale

Nice fast and flat without all the powder burning like a 22-250

Fantastic gun

Gaz

Archived