Threading barrel and keeping iron sights ? Sako 85

SWShooter

I`m thinking of getting a new Sako 85 Hunter with iron sights , whilst Im unlikely to use the iron sights very often I`d like them as a back up in case of a scope failure , I had this happen once on an overseas hunting trip ,but I`d also like it threaded for a moderator , I realise the iron sights may not be usable with a mod , anyway , what could I expect to pay to have a barrel threaded and the front sight mounted further back and a thread protector made ?

The going rate on thread protectors seems to be about £50, which is probably right for one offs, given all the pfaffing about...and is also the going rate for man/machine time.

Sight resetting would probably be the same, and to ensure sight realignment, I'd probably pick up off the rear (second) hole, so windage shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, it would be best to see it first, but £100-150 would cover it me thinks

The going rate on thread protectors seems to be about £50, which is probably right for one offs, given all the pfaffing about...and is also the going rate for man/machine time.

Sight resetting would probably be the same, and to ensure sight realignment, I'd probably pick up off the rear (second) hole, so windage shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, it would be best to see it first, but £100-150 would cover it me thinks

Thank you.

There was a guy, can't remember his name, a gunsmith anyway, that made a thread protector with the front sight mounted on it.

It was for a Blaser and the idea was that he could use the rifle with the sight on for driven hunts abroad and back here take the site/protector off and use over barrel mounted moderator.

It was one of the Yorkshire RFDs that has been in business for a few years, does quite a bit of barrel threading.

The name Kershaw comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived