6.5x47 Barrel Choice / Manufacturer / Profile / Length

***CHOICE OF BARREL MANUFACTURER / PROFILE / LENGTH*** So here is the scenario... I would like to build a 6.5x47 rig. Assuming I am not going to go off the shelf, eg an AI type then the item that has been causing me much quandary is barrel choice.....
I want to use the rifle (6.5x47 Lap) for informal club comps, perhaps go up to Diggle every now and then for the the fly shoot etc if I can escape for long enough and use it on the shoot for ranges 300-800m.

Having looked at the PRS 'what the Pro's use' website there are definite trends (albeit with a USA bias) and I am leaning towards a Heavy Varmint profile up to 26-28", heavy I know but I am not using this gun in a 'tactical setting' and I shoot prone or from the bench so weight is no issue. The key driver here is paper punching and steel plate hitting with first class accuracy. It would be mounted to a quality action, trigger and stock which I have a good idea of what I might want however manufacturer recommendations or avoids and other details would be much appreciated before I part with my £ for the barrel.

Thank you in advance for your ideas / thoughts.

I went for a Bartlein in M40 profile with 5r rifling and a McM A5 stock. I am a very happy bunny as it shoots very well and cleans really easily. It is heavy but I do stalk with it using a Biathlon sling and find it manageable

Morse,

Ditto on Shuggy's comment.

The Med-Palma is all you really need for your described application, AI used this profile originally on thier rifles (beleive they still do?) as they needed accuracy as well as not becoming a cannon to lug round.

I put a 25" '5R' med-Palma on my 6.5x47 and it worked just fine, needs replacing now and will be the same set up. Put a heavy Palma on a 7SAUM just to add weight for that round.

T

1. Excellent feedback chaps on the weight. Are there any manufacturers you would suggest for the blank? Are there any that you would suggest that are made of UNOBTANIUM but would be decent if we could get them in? I see the length debate is 25-28" so far..... Choices choices. Thanks you for the input so far!

The blank was profiled to 28", 2" was cut off, finished rifle was 26" to bolt face. That barrel was a benchmark from gary c, which was very high qualty and shot tiny groups, just like my lothar walther and blaser barrels in the same calibre. Ive had 20", 22 3/4", 24" and 26" rifles in that calibre. Accuracy is no difference between them, velocity differed by about 100fps.

Morse, PR blog is good-as you note,US bias,of course,and 400-800 firstshot hits at gongs are the game-shooting position never optimum! Bench Rest it is not-this matters in the choice of equipment-there is overlap (esp in barrel brands) but much less in eg scopes-however excellent 5-25 S&Bs are for the Precision shooters,long range BR-or F class shooters won't choose them-not enough magnification;and less optimum reticules (FFPlane is irrelevant for BR/F class) and so on...Night Force will be more popular.

Accurate shooter site has good coverage of accurate shooting gear, ( se eg 'F class winning formula",among others.

Fclass isn't what you are focussing on,so bear in mind that good advice sometimes doesn't say 'best applied to....";it does look as if you would be closer to 'shoot for score' than 'pure' grouping-you want to hit the bull/fly/gong....and at some considerable distances-choose accordingly.

Precision (loosely called 'accuracy'-but that includes the shooter!) in a rifle comes mostly from the barrel,so don't compromise for a small amount of £-most of the cost is in the smithing,not the barrel blank.

Every make can give good barrels sometimes;what makes the top makes is that they very very seldom give mediocre barrels,and can give super ones-we're in the sub 1/2 moa class,and better.

You will have seen the names- Kreiger,Broughton,Bartlein,Brux in the top echelons: Benchmark,Truflite very sound....

Of course ,someone will have an alleged tack driver in almost any make,(seems to me tacks differ in size too,especially if imore than three taps needed) but top shooters will be buying half a dozen "Bs" -knowing they will all be excellent,one might be special (the national winner) -it's not the name,it's the track record....( there might be a couple of others I haven't named-and you may not get a completely free choice.....but play the odds,try not to feel you have compromised.)

Oh,and remember 'recommendations' can come from shooters (including me) with different needs/standards/experiences-but PR blog and like reviews will even out the idiosyncracies-the top guys are serious indeed,and data based- some other shooters might try to save on barrel/action/scope for a candycolored paint job....it's your dream machine...

gbal

Hi I have a true flite No.4 profile at a finished 24" in an 8.5 twist with geometry lands. I ain't used any other barrels but rate this highly with every bullet I have tried doing in .2 at 100m if I do my bit I have used 120g nosler 123g A-Max/Scenar & 130g vld. I have just got an A3/5 fitted to my Borden action but no mounts yet to mount scope to try it with new stock. The stock before was an H-S precision skim bedded & got me by till I could afford a stock. Even out to 450yrd its holding 2" so far but I have heard very good of many diffrent barrels but for 1000yrd bartlein seem to be more common. I heard great reports on benchmark barrels more so just now but they all come with a very high standard & ability for it accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived