Mausingfield Sneak Peak

Just a couple of teasers of my new Mausingfield demo rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Some high spec and uncommon to the UK components used in this one, just to do something a bit new and different.

26412619895_20cd7e0fd8_b.jpgi

25809729493_265d526237_b.jpg

Off for coating tomorrow and hopefully back early next week in time for load work and RRC next weekend.

More pics to follow...

Having watched all the videos from the designer, I have to say im impressed with some of the features.

Very interested to see how the rifle shoots.

surely you're not going to paint such a beauty?

No paint Gary. It's having a DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating Applied at a thickness of 4 microns..... Super slick and and hard.

Looks like a fantastic action, but the bolt handle would have to go based on both appearance and ergonomics.

Which stock/chassis is that?

Looks like a fantastic action, but the bolt handle would have to go based on both appearance and ergonomics.

Which stock/chassis is that?

The bolt handle is actually correct from an ergonomics point of view, if you use a bolt correctly.

The handle is designed to give your finger a fix point to locate on, rather than a tapered surface which encourages your hand to slide down the side of its surface into the space between the stock and bolt handle.

The bolt handle is actually correct from an ergonomics point of view, if you use a bolt correctly.

The handle is designed to give your finger a fix point to locate on, rather than a tapered surface which encourages your hand to slide down the side of its surface into the space between the stock and bolt handle.

I'll just have to take your word on that, but thanks for the explanation.

Other than its err, donut lugs, it's a modern day mauser?

Why all the fuss?

From an engineering/simplicity point of view the toroidal(sp?) lugs are a great idea, but beyond that why is it such an exciting action?

But doesn't the Winchester Mod70 and CZ offerings amongst others offer a modern Mauser action with better tolerances than '98 action?

I accept it has atleast one nifty feature I've not seen before, and decent tolerances as above, but other than that....its nothing we haven't seen before, except it's got a silly name and what appears to be some decent marketing spin on it?

Don't get me wrong....I like Mausers(although mine shoots like a turd!), and I like controlled feed.....it just seems like a wheel....reinvented, to tight tolerances ofcourse....

Other than its err, donut lugs, it's a modern day mauser?

Why all the fuss?

From an engineering/simplicity point of view the toroidal(sp?) lugs are a great idea, but beyond that why is it such an exciting action?

There's a bit more than just the Toroidal Lugs....

Lets start with Aerospace grade certified materials, correctly specified and heat treated to maximise their properties. Not simply chosen because everyone else uses it.... and doesn't really know why.

Interchangeable bolt head to allow 2/3 calibers per action if desired, adding value for the customer.

Tapered rail interface and proper sized rail screws to provide the strength and POI stability of an integral rail, whilst still allowing a choice of MOA pre-inclination.

Ultra tight tolerances used throughout its manufacture.... But correctly designed and engineered to have clearance where necessary to allow flawless function in harsh conditions. Not just used as a sales gimmick.

Integral Lug.

Claw extractor which gives not only rock solid feeding, but also designed to cam away from the cartridge when the bolt is in battery.... so no bias on the chambered round whatsoever.

I could go on, but I don't really need to. This action is going to be a source of much polarised discussion, Its expensive, it looks different, and its got some unusual features.

The bottom line is, If you want an action that just works flawlessly, is tough enough to last a lifetime, and capable of the highest level of accuracy....this is it.

That answers my questions, thanks.

Wish they had a better name for it though ;)

I'd be very interested to see what that DLC coating looks like.

I have a Barnard SM action that was Titanium Aluminium Nitride (TiALN) coated 9 or 10 years ago when I had my rifle built. Had tremendous trouble with the expat German smith but the one thing I've always loved about my rifle is the TiALN. In ten years it's never marked, worn, chipped or rusted. If I could it's a coating I'd use again on a new rifle. It's like a traditional blued finish with hints of rainbow like purple in it depending upon how/ what angle / you look at it. It must be hard wearing because they use it as a machine tool finish.

I apologise if I have missed this along the way, but what is the bottom profile of this action, i.e. Remington etc. - what stock/chassis will it fit, or is it a unique fitting? Are they single-shot or magazine, if magazine what type?

Thanks.

Archived