AI AW rifles, the different models, awp, aw, awf etc

Offroad Gary

Is there a definative guide on the various models (short action) other than wikipedia?

As far as i can make out you can get the following

Aw, 26" non folder

Awp, 24" non folder black

Aw (f), 26" folder green

Obviously barrels and sides can be changed so how can you tell what model your buying, or does it really matter?

Any fanatics on the site got an idiots guide?

There were 3 basic models of AW / AWP family.

1.0 fixed stock and non adjustable cheek piece.

1.5 fixed stock with adjustable cheek piece.

2.0 folding stock and adjustable cheek piece.

If you were gucci the quick adjustable cheek piece and Lop were extra.

The difference between the AW vs AWP (artic warfare police) was barrel length, AW 26" and AWP 24", the weight of the barrel however was kept the same therefore the AWP barrel had a larger diameter profile.

Some special contract runs were made to various specs, eg my Awsm had a lightened receiver and chassis.

Black or green, in general the AWP came with black plastic panels, but also in green...they fit the same.

Other options, rear monopod (welded to chassis), adjustable butt pad.

Later models had a picatinny rail bonded over the 11mm dovetail.

The original L96 had a flat bottomed rear butt stock, non artic trigger, built in bipod...probably other stuff I've forgotten too......prototypes also had wooden stocks too and also a wooden stocked competition rifle was made.

Serial numbers..... (excluding AW50) first two numbers denote year of manufacture eg. my AWP starts 00, so year 2000. Next prefix AW followed by rest of serial number. So my AWP has an AW prefix....just the barrel is different.

Barrels.....made by Border or Lothar Walter. Barrels are numbered but numbers don't correspond with serial numbers.

Archived