couple of oddities

Finished these a couple weeks back.

First in an AR15 a customer wanted building. It was a tale of woe, as this gun had been ordered and paid for with someone , 5 years ago, who simply didn't deliver. i sourced the parts, built and finished it within 3 months.

Its a battle arms lower and JP upper with a l/h side charger.

Barrel is a Sassen 1 in 7 in an SPR profile.

IMG_3347_zpsfhczpsro.jpg

IMG_3348_zpsjezvzjgj.jpg

IMG_3349_zpsdmmwsakd.jpg

IMG_3350_zpssn0wrucg.jpg

IMG_3351_zps4jkhpqus.jpg

Second up is a Valkyrie Thor in 6.5 creedmoor.

IMG_3346_zpser9milt6.jpg

IMG_3345_zpskpjzrzm0.jpg

This sports a Sassen barrel, fitted with one of my pepper pot brakes.

IMG_3344_zps1bc5chi0.jpg

Its sat in a left handed GRS stock, and its full bedded.

Trigger is one of the new Calvin Elite 2 stage units which are sweeeeeet.....

IMG_3343_zpsf7ewnmui.jpg

IMG_3342_zps3wpuuavo.jpg

IMG_3341_zpsvjxaguvo.jpg

IMG_3340_zpspp3slpup.jpg

PRI forearms look the mutts. Very nice.

The AR is very nice, and what you have created is essentially a Mk12 Mod 0 SPR (Special Purpose Receiver or Rifle)

The SPR story is a very interesting journey and I started writing something up on all the twists and turns of its evolution.

One day I'll finish it

I could talk about this all night :D

I bought more Sassen barrels than any other gunsmith in the UK , last year.

I like them very much indeed, and I also think they are better now, than when they were made in Scotland. The internal finish was always very good, but its in a different league now they have a honing machine.

Are they better than Krieger or Bartlien ?

An unfair comparison as both those brands are cut rifled.

I sell all three brands .

I also use all three brands on my personal rifles.

Haven't found a jot of difference between all three in the way they shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought more Sassen barrels than any other gunsmith in the UK , last year.

I like them very much indeed, and I also think they are better now, than when they were made in Scotland. The internal finish was always very good, but its in a different league now they have a honing machine.

Are they better than Krieger or Bartlien ?

An unfair comparison as both those brands are cut rifled.

I sell all three brands .

I also use all three brands on my personal rifles.

Haven't found a jot of difference between all three in the way they shoot.

Are you therefore implying that you regard a button rifled tube as inferior (or superior ??) to the Bartlein/Kreiger cut rifled barrels mentioned. Are there other differences that should be considered?

We suspect, ooman, that he means it's rather like comparing apples with oranges, id est, not a reasonable comparison. Both button and cut rifling have their own advantages and disadvantages, but both, properly done and from a good manufacturer, will give better performance than most shooters will be able to make use of. Our opinion, and probably a minority one though based on metallurgical and engineering considerations, is that hammer forged barrels are potentially the best, then button rifled barrels, then cut barrels. In practice, all three are more than good enough for most applications and in general, good cut rifled barrels are more common than either of the other two techniques amongst the top end of competitive shooters. It seems to me that it is easier to make a very good cut rifled barrel than to make one of similar quality by the other methods.

If you have unlimited funds, the ideal barrel would be made from electro-slag refined steel and then cold swaged over a mandrel. To my knowledge, only a few miltary users use such barrels, and even then not for small arms.

There is an awful lot of snobbery when it comes to buying barrels.

I shot a new sassen in 223 today, the very first one to be honed. It put the first round on paper, then 4 into another hole just a tiny bit away. It then proceeded to shot a couple of one holers in truly foul weather. That was with a std AR15 load, shot in a bolt gun. Not worked up , just shot.

That barrel will compete with any other barrel, regardless of where it comes from, or how much more, people have paid.

Much dick waving when it comes to barrel brands.

Archived