22lr barrel length vs accuracy/velocity

rhhudson

Looking to get a replacement 22lr,,

think im going with cv455 varmint,

only thing im not sure is barrel length

16" is nice and handy but will i loose out on accuracy or velocity

thanks

I wouldnt have thought you would lose accuracy at all. I have a CZ cut to 16" and a Ruger 10/22 about the same both are no different from original barrel lenghts. Neither have fancy crown profiles, both are just machine dead square with very slight countersink at the muzzle after rethreading. Both done but a first class machinist.

Mind you wish i could get the 10/22 to re-cycle subs but its great with high velocity.

Good luck

RHH,

do not think, from experiance, barrel length has a direct effect on accuracy in a 22RF. Pistols like the Walther GSP or Hamerlli 215 could shoot a ragged hole at 25 yards with 4-5" barrels. Plenty of other factors before just barrel length come into play.

Ed,

Re. 10/22 cycling subs on these rifle in the past I have drilled a couple of thru' holes in the bolt assembly to lighten the reciprocating weight and fitted a 'plastic' bolt stop pin. Cycled subs and accurate ammunition no problems, personnaly have no use for hi velocity ammunition. Usual caveats apply re. Working on firearms.

Brgds Terry

No barrel length has little direct effect on accuracy just velocity you may actually gain a little from a 20" barrel down to 16" I would certainly not go longer

I use a 12.5" on my Ruger 10/22 works fine on all ammo so far mostly Subs if you have problems cycling a good polish and slicking up helps as does re profiling the back of the Bolt

you can also get Lower weight springs . Synthetic buffer pin is best to minimize the action noise

Well I have already reprofiled the bolt as per the suggestions in Mark Whites book the Ultimate Ruger 10/22. It is polished and runs against a plastic covered buffer pin. Rifle has aftermarket trigger bits and sear. Doesn't matter it will shoot 20 subs after cleaning and then start to stovepipe the rounds again.

So I shoot high velocity and no problem with accuracy and at night with the lamp from the jeep don't find its less effective than my CZ with subs which is so much quieter.

Still I apologise to the OP because I have digressed on his thread.

Regards

Redneck

I think some where , between 12-16 inches is best depending on his use/ammo etc .

To me the question with the 22LR is all about subsonic use , as this is where the calibre is best to me , its never going to be a hotrod .

Having said that , the next question , is what is the best barrel lenght for subsonic use , and here is where it gets a little sticky , as this means , I need to find the sweet spot for subsonic velocity & also the sweet spot for sound suppression , they may not be the same .

In short you want top sound suppression & uniform velocity ( indicating all powder is burnt ) .

I would like some one to do a test , on say 12,13,14,15,16 inche barrels , chrony them & sound test then & accuracy test all at the same time , most have done the chrony & accuracy testing , but no sound tests , all 3 being measured would be nice , and useful .

You choose whatever barrel length you like within reason,,, the accuracy will "PURELY" depend on the quality of ammo ,,,end of!! Eley Match or Tenex will all go down the same raggety hole at 50 yards in a good gun,,,,thats all there is to it in 22 LR,,,,nothing else except other top end match ammo will be so consistently accurate.Velocity surely not an issue,,,,,?

Agree with the last two posters. Barrel length seems pretty irrelevant to accuracy in rimfires.

I have various suppressed rimfires, mainly bolts, but also a 10-22 with a perforated fully-sleeved barrel.

The action cycling as you say makes the most noise in that.

I think its more of a shooter preference, the 22lr is a tiny round anyway so the powder will all be burnt within a small length of the barrel anyway.

I have a 23" anschutz and a 1.25" 10/22 and there isnt any real difference in accuracy.

It all depends what you want at the end of the day, if you want a fast handling weapon go as short as you like but i find a slightly longer barrel balances better and is easier to shoot consistently.

Steve kershaw is fitting an 18" sassen for me at the moment to an anschutz 54 action and with a moderator on it will be around 23" I think its a nice compromise between balance and size.

My shortie with mod on is around 17.5 so think of the overall length with mod on.

Bought a CZ455 varmint thumbhole in 20", very accurate out of the box. I use it for target shooting, not hunting, so barrel length is not an issue to me. Longer helps in my opinion, not just for velocity but reduces flip, adds weight etc.

Rimfire Majic trigger spring kit helps no end!

Bought a CZ455 varmint thumbhole in 20", very accurate out of the box. I use it for target shooting, not hunting, so barrel length is not an issue to me. Longer helps in my opinion, not just for velocity but reduces flip, adds weight etc.

Rimfire Majic trigger spring kit helps no end!

Do you have to call them to buy the trigger kit?

Cant see any option on the website to buy it

My walther gsp carbine rifle is finished at 16 inches or thereabouts and has very good accuracy. Also my weihrauch hw66 jagdmatch was the same length also with no issues with accuracy. I prefer a shorter barrel on a 22lr, because at the distances I am shooting - less than 150 yards, there isn't much discern able differences in bullet drop.

Archived