Opinion on .222

bri2506

What's everyone s thoughts on a .222. Been offered one a little money in form of a remmy.

Only want it for 200 yard shots with a drone on top. Was thinking it would be cheap to load for and apart from finding cases it should have a good supply of fodder for it. It's in a wood stock but going to swap it for modular stock to bolt all bits on with an adjustable stock and cut barrel to a 16 inch to make the perfect truc gun. Any pros and cons would be appreciated as never had anything to do with this caliber

222rem is an excellent little cartridge-it can be very acurate.Reloading costs are comparable to 223.

The 222 seldom comes in faster twist barrels so 50/52 grain bullets are about it,so it will never reach out as can the 223 with heavy bullets/fast twist;but as a 200-250y fox/small varmint cartridge it is excellent.

(velocity is only down maybe 50-100 fps on the 223,energy similarly- with a 200y zero ,10 mph wind drift is is about 5 inches for both-you would probably zero at 100-150,and drop/drift will be even closer.

A lot of fox have been taken by the 222,in the past fifty years. It was the 250y cartridge of choice for many.Barrels should shorten very well. I had an 18 inch rem carbine truck rifle. Very handy.

It's still loaded commercially.

I'd want to check it shoots though ,first-as with any used rifle-it should be well under moa,good ones maybe half that.

gbal

.222 Rem, is a fantastic calibre and very accurate. Here in NE Scotland it's used for foxes and roe - I'm amazed at how effective it is on roe with the right bullet. I'd go for it as long as the barrel is OK.

I can help you with little used dies, brass and .... if you can get to Diggle Ranges, near Oldham ... a small amount of factory ammunition. As others say, it's a very nice little cartridge - the original modern varmint design and still one of the best for up to 200/300 yards.

I've been and pulled the trigger on it. Just need to get variation sorted now. Can't see a problem with a one for one against a 223. Going to have a look for a LDT chassis stock for it now. Then get barrel chopped on it. Cheers for comments I also spoke to a friend that had one for years and he only got shut cause of ammo cost

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my third

19" BRNO sporter - shot 52gr AMax and 60gr Hornady SP extremely well

stupidly sold it for a Sako S491 with factory barrel

that hated 52gr Amax but shoots 60gr SP, 53gr Barnes XLC and 40gr SBKs very well

I also have a 18" barrel H&R single shot which has so far only shot 60gr...again very well

most are 1:14 twist

bullet length is the key

stick to flat base and you should have no problem with the heavier bullets

I'm not surprised. the Triple Two is still very popular in Scandinavia. Amongst other uses, they shoot some game birds on the ground, or rather on the snow, in their winter using 50gn flat-base FMJs. The 222 is ideal for this. Also, given the shortage of open prairies in that part of the world, there probably isn't as much need for ultra high-vel cartridges and high-BC bullets as in North American ground squirrel 'varminting'.

I have a .222 on a Sako L461 action. Original everything (barrel, trigger, stock etc, an exact image of this: http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=929&page=61&category=&product=R10259).It's barrel is 1:7 from factory. Through sheer lack of time I haven't shot it yet, but I'm expecting good things.

Best wishes,

Finman

I have a .222 on a Sako L461 action. Original everything (barrel, trigger, stock etc, an exact image of this: http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=929&page=61&category=&product=R10259).It's barrel is 1:7 from factory. Through sheer lack of time I haven't shot it yet, but I'm expecting good things.

Best wishes,

Finman

You sure about the twist? 1:7" is very fast

I have the exact same rifle in .222 and its actually just OVER 1:14" twist

(which was a pain in the arse as it wouldn't stabilise the 52gr Amax like my previous 1:14" twsit BRNO)

Archived