Howa 223 Mini Action Varminter

onehole

Yeah the latter,,,need to do some walking,,,,have gone for the Howa Mini action ,,,,I reckon this will shoot as good as necessary once fitted with a small moddy and low mag quality glass.Just wanted 0 to 200 in a cheap light package,,,,,,will report findings in due course,,,,,O

If it doesn't work out, you won't go far wrong with a CZ527 for the purpose....

• 2 weeks later...

]ust an update and a pic below hopefully,,,,,,I,was offered a mini actioned 223 Howa varmint at a bargain price so went ahead and after a short wait for variation. I picked this up just a few days ago..Things i didn,t like were the plastic stock ,,the crap rubber butt,,the stock touching the barrel,the huge mag {now shortened},crap feel of the pistol grip,,trigger second pull remained heavy even after lightening and the action resting on pillars only.Considering all that lot i suppose one would say well why did you buy it!!!Some of you who know me would definately wonder why but I do have some talents in fettling things and I did see improvements could be made to enhance my original intention to buy a cheap and potentially accurate light carry rifle.I started with the stock,,,off came the flimsy butt pad and i graffted on a nice harder and better shaped item that i found in my huge spare parts box.Feeling braver I then cut a huge piece out from behind the pistol grip area, filled and shaped with cast iron like two pack filler.I was a little concerned with regard to weakening the stock but the plastic is very thick and retained a lot of of rigidity.The pistol grip now has a genuine semi palm filling feel to it now.Third stock mod was to properly freefloat the barrel whuich was touching all over the place,,,,easy,,,sand paper and some aluminium dowels soon fixed that .Last but not least was to bush the existing pillars to snugly accomodate the stock screws and to bed the remaining flat areas around the pillars to hugely improve almost all of the action seating areas.I didn,t consider a full bedding job was necessary.The standard 10 round mag hung down to far for my liking and got in the way of handling so with careful planning of where to cut and shut the dremmel soon made light work of reducing the mag down to a 5/6 rounder and now sits almost up and out of the way.

Last thing was the trigger,,,Dohhhh!!!,,,nice idea Howa but not a true two stage now is it!!!,,,,I thought the easiest way to get a result was to try the same trick as on the "Sako,s" ie fit a lighter loading spring to the adjustment mechanism.That done I now have a superb safe and clean breaking second stage which is now truly adjustable..So there we are most things done,,,may do higher cheekpiece in due course but really have to see if she shoots now hence NF on board just to get some loads sorted after that maybe just a little meopta or something after all its a carry gun nothing more.I know its a 1 in 9 but will be using 50 Vmax and a nice surprise is that loaded rounds fit the mag well even at just a few thou off lands.,,,,,,,,will report again on performance but have a good feeling it won,t dissappoint,,,,,,,Opost-41-0-62747100-1461077092_thumb.jpg

This little one not only producing some tight full power groups with 50 Vmax and the TMK 69,s but found it likes Trail Boss and Blitz Kings at 100 yards too!!! 1750fps,,,,,,,,now could this do the double act and bye bye 17 for up to 100 or so,,,,,wondering if the 50,s will expand sufficiently,,,,,,get the fruit out I guess,,,,,,,!!!!!post-41-0-67363500-1461705654_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have got one the same, any update on loads etc

Yep,,,,,have abandoned the 69TMK,s although very accurate on 22.5/vit135 @2700 ish as really wanted a point and squirt lightweight with a 200 yard zero and 250 yard easy holdover so worked up the 50 g Blitzking[had 400 lying around} with Vit 130.I favoured the 130 considering the short barrel but will probably use 133 when the 130,s gone.we,ll see.Anyway tried only 3 loads at 100 just to see,,,22.5,,23,,,and 23.5 all at 5 thou off,,,,hard to tell but all groups were 1/2moa at 100 so hung out for a better day and the full 200 yard zero and group test.Went through all loads twice and pretty much same return with 23 and 23.5 giving the best with pleasing 1 inch ish groups with three bullets touching at the 23g load.I shot 4 shot groups.23.5 was still a 1 inch group so nothing fussy with this little rifle vit 130, 50 grainers and a two load window.

Measurements,,,,I will give OAL,s as ogives will mean nothing due to variances in one,s devices,,,,,,,69 TMK OAL 2.400,,,,,50 Blitzking OAL 2.355 these are measured at 5 thou off MY RIFLES JAM measurement.at 350 rounds down the tube.

These groups were shot with a lovely little target dot 12x fixed leupold ,,,,,,,oh! aint got a clue on 50grainer velocity ,,,don't matter really somewhere around 3200 I guess but flat enough,,,where the 2700 of the heavies wasn,t and demanded some range finding I was trying to avoid,,,,regds O

The Trail Boss experiment has also been abandoned,,,,,,,,whats the point really hahaha

The shorter mag exposed the mag release lever too much and was regularly dumping the mag should it touch something ie clothing ,,bag rests etc,,,,so it was refashioned to a workable stump and no more unexpected detachments.

My post on the 26/4 with Trail Boss group target card was laid over my 22PPC group testing cards please do not confuse load and performance with this 223.thanks,,O

Yep,,,,,have abandoned the 69TMK,s although very accurate on 22.5/vit135 @2700 ish as really wanted a point and squirt lightweight with a 200 yard zero and 250 yard easy holdover so worked up the 50 g Blitzking[had 400 lying around} with Vit 130.I favoured the 130 considering the short barrel but will probably use 133 when the 130,s gone.we,ll see.Anyway tried only 3 loads at 100 just to see,,,22.5,,23,,,and 23.5 all at 5 thou off,,,,hard to tell but all groups were 1/2moa at 100 so hung out for a better day and the full 200 yard zero and group test.Went through all loads twice and pretty much same return with 23 and 23.5 giving the best with pleasing 1 inch ish groups with three bullets touching at the 23g load.I shot 4 shot groups.23.5 was still a 1 inch group so nothing fussy with this little rifle vit 130, 50 grainers and a two load window.

Measurements,,,,I will give OAL,s as ogives will mean nothing due to variances in one,s devices,,,,,,,69 TMK OAL 2.400,,,,,50 Blitzking OAL 2.355 these are measured at 5 thou off MY RIFLES JAM measurement.at 350 rounds down the tube.

These groups were shot with a lovely little target dot 12x fixed leupold ,,,,,,,oh! aint got a clue on 50grainer velocity ,,,don't matter really somewhere around 3200 I guess but flat enough,,,where the 2700 of the heavies wasn,t and demanded some range finding I was trying to avoid,,,,regds O

The Trail Boss experiment has also been abandoned,,,,,,,,whats the point really hahaha

The shorter mag exposed the mag release lever too much and was regularly dumping the mag should it touch something ie clothing ,,bag rests etc,,,,so it was refashioned to a workable stump and no more unexpected detachments.

My post on the 26/4 with Trail Boss group target card was laid over my 22PPC group testing cards please do not confuse load and performance with this 223.thanks,,O

Cheers for the reply, I still need to get some time in with mine, trouble is, every time i go to the cabinet the hmr smiles at me and off we go.

Just out of interest, how far from the Tamar are you?

Ah, the edge of the known world, and home of the best show in England

fast becoming too well known I,m afraid ,,,,,,not liking the changing scene at all ,,,,and the best show in England run by ,,,best say no more,,,regds .......O

Looks like we got the only 2 in private hands

Mmmm I don't think they will be hugely popular and most would probably pick up the full sized action in preference but not what I was looking for. Was hoping there may be a few more users amongst us as there is another issue in that the Leupold mounts supplied with the rifle gave rise to me maxing out on elevation just to obtain zero with my 12x Leupold and this was also a problem with the NF using huge dial up from centered position so think I,m right to assume the fault was not with the scopes but in the mounts not suiting the "mini action",,,,I cured the problem with some 10 thou shim steel under the rear base which was the only way the scopes would lay completely flat in the mount saddles.I have since bought/cut and shimmed a 20 MOA picatinney rail which works much better.How I did that takes a bit of explaining and unless I,m pressed will leave it there for now.Let us know how you get on with yours in due course and of course if there,s anyone else out there???or have I wrecked the sales of Howa mini actions,,,,whoops!!,,,,joking aside,,,,they really are an accurate litte rifle ,,,,,,O

Going to have to start taking mine out,. last night a fox was sat at 200 yds just mocking me with the hmr.

Shall have to stock up with powder and bullets, any suggestions? thinking Amax to get round number limit,

and see if the troops have left any litter after their training, can often find a few empties.

Best powder? primers?

Going to have to start taking mine out,. last night a fox was sat at 200 yds just mocking me with the hmr.

Shall have to stock up with powder and bullets, any suggestions? thinking Amax to get round number limit,

and see if the troops have left any litter after their training, can often find a few empties.

Best powder? primers?

Lots of powder and primer options JS,,,,52g,,,,, Hogden H322,Benchmark,Vit 130 or 133 ,,,those sort of burn speeds,,,,,,any make basic primer should be ok. Yeah weight soon creeps up ,,,,,,,O

Oh well, bit the bullet so to speak and loaded a few to try.

Couldent find my scales from long ago, using a cheap electronic that i wouldent recommend, varget powder and

50g sierra softpoint. Filled nearly to the neck seems about 27g so just filled by by eye and cracked on.

Did weigh each cartridge overall when loaded =171g there abouts

At 50 yds they were going into the same place as factory rounds, so well pleased so far.

Have to start a shopping list now, something to clean primer pockets, Powder thing to fit on press,

lube of some sort, and drill a few holes in a block to hold cases, and sort a skip to take the rubbish away from the reloading area.

Pleased with with the Mini so far, except for the weight and mag release.

Couple of lessons relearnt,, 1 when buying electronic scales, take a few identical coins to do some check weighing.

2 when buying a gun/rifle, take scales and any bits you are going to fit to gun[bipod,scope, mounts, mod and sling]

and weigh the lot and believe what the scale tells you.. 7lbs all up is comfortable, anything over 8lbs soon gets to be a pain

to lugg around for sport

Looking good, 2 clicks right and 4 clicks up and your good to go :)

Mine straight out the box seems to love a bipod. Trigger a little heavy but almost afraid to remove stock to adjust trigger in case i upset something

Next thing is to find some lighter bullets,,40g for instance

Interesting effect, i got the 223 for 200+ crows, well , had 2 shots this afternoon and all the corvids that were about

in abundance cleared off, never seen that reaction so clearly with 222 or HMR. talking about several hundred acres.

They just picked up and went

Archived