Ruger Precision Rifle in .308.

Steve R

Has anyone actually got one of these in .308 and given it some serious use? Lots of revues and accounts of 6.5CM but how does the .308 with its 20 inch barrel perform in the real world? Is there someone out there who has one and has put a few hundred through it at some decent ranges, say 600 to a thousand? Look forward to hearing from you guys.

I've got 4 in stock, one of which is sold and have an enquiry on another, so that leaves 2 or possibly 3

I had one of the first batch and did a write up on it. It's on here.

The owner picked it up on New Years Day from me and is still grinning from ear to ear over it.

They are a great little rifle

good evening lowsider,my sons was ordered in October and arrived at the dealer on Saturday,we are going to collect it on Wednesday,was a long wait but at least £200 cheaper than on the forum so the savings buy some ammo.hope your mates arrives soon .there are lots in country now

Has anyone actually got one of these in .308 and given it some serious use? Lots of revues and accounts of 6.5CM but how does the .308 with its 20 inch barrel perform in the real world? Is there someone out there who has one and has put a few hundred through it at some decent ranges, say 600 to a thousand? Look forward to hearing from you guys.

I have been shooting one since last summer. I shot it Saturday from 220 to 840. I only shoot it at long range: 200 to check my zero and then usually in 200 yard increments out to 1000. I shoot 168's at 2700 fps at 3400 ft above sea level and don't have problems other than those that are (ahem!) shooter induced, or the product of angry wind gods. On the rare days when the wind is nearly still, I have no problems hitting 18" square at 800. The best 1000 yard group I ever shot was a month ago in a 10mph cross wind. The rifle is plenty accurate. I plan on moving to 175 grain bullets as soon as I shoot up my supply of Match Kings and A-Maxes; probably this summer. I have seven 308's and this is my favorite. Comfortable to shoot. Nil recoil even before I installed the brake.

That said: The Creedmore has about 1/3 the windage correction of my 308 and certainly seems to have more reach. My buddy got his 6.5 RPR about two weeks before I got my 308 and the accuracy is dazzling. Smallest 1000 yard group I ever saw shot was with this rifle/shooter. About 4.5 inches from prone bipod. Saturday I watched him hit a 15x20 inch plate at 1540 yards. It took about 9 rounds in shifting cross winds but all his misses were within 2 feet of the target left and right: inches high and low. Compared to my 308 it is a laser. Out to 1000 he seldom missed once he is on and he is into the realm of cold bore hits as the gun and load are that consistent. By the way, we shoot over hilly canyon country, not over the flat of a shooting range. I have a large amount of 308 loading gear and I am not nearly as serious about going past 1000 yards as my friend is so the 308 made sense: no regrets. Were I inclined to reach as far as i can, I'd get the 6.5 CM.

FWIW. 600 yards, even for me, is pretty much a chip shot with my 308 RPR unless the winds are crazy.~Andrew

Archived