Squirrel's 'n Things

gunner

Had a nice outing with philly last Sunday on my shoot id invited him to come along for some varminting , it was a pretty clear fine day in the vally . We had been out the day before for more gong practice and phil was sighting in a new vortex on his 223 varmint , so sunday phil was first up , we spotted 2 pigeon in a low tree with ivy , ranged at 403 Yards phil dialled for drop and i think 6mph quarter value wind , plus had to try and miss a small twig in front of it , he sent it and i watched the trail sweep left in the wind as the 40 grain blitzking hit its mark with a nice puff of grey . Good start - We both had various other shots on crows and pigeon , and a few misses , the wind very difficult to judge , my furthest crow was 371 , i missed another at 590 to my stupidness of dialling the wrong way for wind which iv done before :wacko:

Soon our attention turned to a squirrel id spotted nibbleing in a tree top at the new shoots ! 434 Yards phil was up and had a miss , as so did i ,not enough for wind , on my next try i spotted the miss again & seen the splash behind on the bank , i knew i had him on the next shot and seen the grey fur momentarily fly . Toppeling out the tree . Job done . But abit dissapointed with a couple of misses .

Abit later we were just admiring the view from our position , we kept glassing the area for targets , id spotted 1 then 2 then 3 squirrel low down in the vally , i ranged the closest, 720 odd , dialled & it was a miss, as i thought it would be but didn't see the splash and it dissapeared back into woods anyway . 5 mins later one came back out , at 726 , so again dialled 17¾ moa and 1½ for wind , this time the bullet punched a hole in the deck as it was steep 8° downhill which i forgot to allow for , the impact was high and right so i adjusted ½ moa down and ½ moa more for wind i took carful aim and said to phil if i dont get this im im leaving it its abit of a streatch at this range ! No need as that shot found its mark , yet i was still beating myself up over some of the earlier misses . So initially wasn't that pleased , but gradually did smile , another great outing with great company , thanks philly .

hopefully philly can post that pic once hes not foxing !

IMG_20160320_163331_zps2lgk1coj.jpg

IMG_20160320_162827_zpsh70jpszk.jpg

1458491260767_zpsre6hf0hf.jpg

There you go Timmy, your long shot and the firing point. Middle top tree in middle of the photo.

Sorry I couldn't get it sorted earlier, got a call to go sort a go in the lambs. Again the 40gn blitzKing finds its mark. Nice darts off the sticks in the wind and rain. 145 metres so not to shabby, also no exit so very happy about that.

IMG_20160324_213703_zpsbctoqxzk.jpg

So, until next time Timmy....

It may have been mentioned before, but do you really think posting brags and pics like this on an open forum is a good idea?

H/man

OK, so why risk upsetting people? Shooting gets a bad enough press as it is without this type of negative PR.

Oh, and the answer is 900yds.............

H/man

OK, so why risk upsetting people? Shooting gets a bad enough press as it is without this type of negative PR.

H/man

I have painted my door blue, it I'll upset someone always does, so why did I do it? Because it's not illegal and no wrong has been done. Things only become an issue because of the likes of yourself that allow it. Make a comment to get a rise as there is no other reason. If one doesn't like it the one shouldn't be lookinv. Simples!!

So now your going to tell us all why it is so wrong. Is it because it it is wrong or is it because the boy down the road told you it was wrong.

Now where is them safty goggles and high viz vest. Lmao

H/man

I have painted my door blue, it I'll upset someone always does, so why did I do it? Because it's not illegal and no wrong has been done. Things only become an issue because of the likes of yourself that allow it. Make a comment to get a rise as there is no other reason. If one doesn't like it the one shouldn't be lookinv. Simples!!

So now your going to tell us all why it is so wrong. Is it because it it is wrong or is it because the boy down the road told you it was wrong.

Nice write up, what kit were you both using?

I will leave gunner to tell you the woes on his rig, just don't mention the pile of green poo that the metalwork sits in as I hate seening a grown man cry.

Mine is a bog standard Tikka T3 in 223. 1:12 twist running a 40 grain payload. Not the best twist some will say a 1:8 would have been better but I want light bullets running at a fair speed. It is running out of steam much past 550 and getting rather unpredictable.

I don't want an exit on fox if I can get away with it as this time of year most the work is in with the lambs so can be like knitting at times. With no exit there is Less chance of a lamb getting it. Even though a shot isn't taken with ewes or lambs behind.

Scope is a vortex viper HS 6-24x50. Caps over the turrets so can still use as my field rifle but still easy to dial on the long days.

Moderator I a DPT with stainless first baffle. Light and takes a good amount of the noise out. By no means the best but it's a compromise as the barrel is heavy.

IMG_20160317_185912_zpsnn3pvsbs.jpg

5 shot group at 100yards. The 200yard isn't to dissimilar

Good shooting lads. I find the 69 grain tmks to be excellent bullets. Any foxes I have shot have had virtually no exit holes at all. And all have dropped on the spot. Very hard hitting indeed.

Hmmmm " if it's legal,it OK "........nope

The first 'boy down the road' to convince me was Professor of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh University (early 1960s),whose lecture on this was essentially one word ..."Slavery".

Both what is legal and what is 'not wrong/right' change over time-etc,so there was a bit more to say-quite a bit,as it turned out,including the limits to protest ('illegal but justified') and we're into Ghandi,King,Mandela...and related changes.

This remains true-current experts (legal/academic/and commercial in ...let's say,consumer ethics) use examples like "knowingly allowing carcinogens in cigarettes",or "excess sugar in pop" etc ,and "seat belts in cars' or 'using non blue tooth hand held mobiles while driving'....there are many many examples.

Sometimes new information changes things,and sometimes 'morality' changes ie what a society will tolerate.Then the legality can be challenged,and often changed (much is intended to be for the general good,as with seat belts,carcinogens,sugar).

Shooting is not immune, and has been affected,in law. 'Why give the antis ammunition ?' has been mentioned...well,see above-why risk a change in public opinion generally....probably the large majority are tolerant of shooting,but may not welcome too much 'blood',so maybe a bit of discretion is just plain enlightened 'self interest',and also considerate to others (at no cost at all-most shooters have seen shot animals before-no photo of that needed. Won't the very nice group shot target do-no problems with that :-)

"If you've shot it,flaunt it" is poor PR,and naive-if not actually ....err...bloody minded.

Being discrete-and respecting the sensibilities of others-isn't a weakness.

The 'legal, so alright' defence is distinctly dodgy.

gbal

Archived