zeiss scopes

triggersqueezer

The requirements of hunting scopes and bench rest/Fclass scopes are fairly different-Varminting scopes can be in the overlap zone....

Key issues are very high mag for the long rangers (25x is not really enough-80x isn't too much),but there is no need for very low light performance;a lot of elevation is needed-let's say 35-40 moa-and moa preferably 1/8 clicks; very reliable turrets; target friendly reticules; etc ;second focal plane usual; etc.....)

...these are not typically Zeiss features-or at least not compared to the Night Force;March etc designed for the long rangers. The Zeiss of course has excellent features,maybe optically even better-but these are not as important as the above list.....at a more modest level,Leupolds can be dual purpose,and varminters might have preferences from either target or hunting scopes.

Much the same is true of rifles-while a few can be used for both,it's a compromise each way...and at the higher competitive levels,maybe no so much at club level, compromise is a serious disadvantage...an 18 lb range rifle just is not a useable stalker-and the light stalker will be compromised by dedicated heavy long range rifles,even in the same cartridge.

It's not quality- it's qualities-what the shooting discipline is best served by (note Precision shooting,cold barrel first shots at unknown 1-4 moa targets from irregular firing points,at unknown distances -200-800y- the top scope is the superb S&B PM11 5-25/similar-exactly because it fits the desiderata for that discipline.

gbal

The issue with Zeiss as a company is that they really don't understand (or maybe care) about the requirements of the target or long range shooter.

Years ago Zeiss brought out their 6-24x56 scope ( Which I owned three of) Despite having limited reticules, it was , and still is an awesome scope.

They track perfectly and personally, I prefer the reticule in the SFP for both LR varminting and gong ringing.

Unfortunately the next scopes they produced the FL range , Zeiss had decided to remove the windage target turret and fit a little sports knob.... Besides looking shite , it rendered the scope totally un-usable for any type of long range shooting. Just to finish the job , they decided to charge you £160 EXTRA to fit the windage turret that the scope used to , and should come with as standard. :mad:

They also fitted the worlds most naff zero stop system --- which will only go round one revolution .... So what's the Fking point :mad:

Zeiss had committed suicide with this model scope for LR shooting. As we know reputation take years to build and seconds to destroy.

This occurred at the same time as other scope manufactures were getting their act together and producing some tasty choices. The like of - IOR - Meopta - Nightforce - Kharles - March - The Vortex Razor - S&B and now of course the new Swarovski. At the cheaper end - Vortex - Sightron are producing good scopes that cant be knocked for the price.

Optically Zeiss thrashes the NFX's and Leopold's of this world into next week and back again. Unfortunately the real strengths of Zeiss are its , unbelievable clarity - ability in low light - fantastic resolution - superb FOV - massive non-fussy eye box...... These are not the top of the priority list for target shooters.

Zeiss have done a half assed job with their new scopes - and from the reports on their new 35 mag scope - there is no change.

They are not listening to the needs of the shooter as normal , which is why people shy away and put up with mediocre optics from NF - but they have got everything else right.

ATB

S.

Hensoldt is now a division of Cassidian Optronics, operating as Airbus DS Optronics GmbH, after aquiring the brand from a former military contract division of Zeiss Sport Optics,

thats answers that, thanks gbal .i'm just surprised, guys like myself who work on a budget normally compromise in order to shoot.

Think about what you are mainly going to use the scope for, if its nighttime fox lamping where 8x is enough and a wide field of view is critical for fast target acquisition then look at Ziess, or older Swaro such as the PV or PVS models. I have found that far cheaper scopes such as the little Simmons were perfectly acceptable for 90% of shots that could be taken with my Ziess, they do though need to hold a zero. So you do not need to spend mega bucks as long as you accept the limitations.

Long range varmint or paper targets then a higher mag and some sort of center dot or very fine ret, I use an NSX NP2DD ret for that, the center dot nicely covers the bull of a 100 yard BR target. Under a lamp its perfectly ok but in a poor light situation such as the last 5 mins before dark or taking a shot into a bright light then the dot is to fine to be seen. While I have seen Sightron personally I found the very critical eye relief annoying.

A

I have got a victory v8 2.8-20 x56 and can honestly say that the optical quality is awesome.

It does have the zero stop turret which is no issue for me as i only shoot about 500y max normally,

but having said that there is 100 clicks in 1 revolution (33 1/3 MOA)

would highly recommended one. Buy once,,,,, buy right...

• 2 months later...

The 5-25x50 HD Conquest, is getting good reviews from the US,but mainly for varmin . It is said to track very well..heavy discounted ,so may be there not selling? Anyone got one .Not high enough mag or MOA in turrets .i was looking at one for out to 300m on rabbit ,5 to 8 power on deer out to 150m.

Archived