Sporting Services NIMROD

newsatten

Anybody using one?

A mate of mine picked his up a couple of weeks ago, its in 260 rem, and fitted to a late right folder AX chassis.

From the outside it dont look to bad, however in use its a bit crap!

This may well be a problem just with this rifle?

First its almost impossible to insert a mag, 5 or 10 they are a major fight to get in, you have to sort of push them in at a weird angle

to locate a small tab at the front them lift the rear up to engage the rear catch,

When a mag is finally in! push the bolt forwards and his expensive Bergers are rammed into the front part of the action!

it will feed to its bloody awful!

Bullets are deformed and cases marked???

To get around this he purchased a single shot sled from SS this is also rubbish, as it dos'nt have a small lip at the front so it sits to high

in the action and the bolt wacks it when loading and ejecting,

Any body else had any issue's ??

I've had no problems with the magazine, other than it's tight with five rounds in. I have I also had no problems with damage to the bullets when feeding, it feeds pretty smoothly. My rifle is in an AT chassis and chambered in 6.5x47L.

Had a friend that bought one of the first ones to land in the UK last summer

Took it to Bisley for the McQueens and had so many misfires and light strikes that you'd never believe

Anyway he dropped some headspace gauges into it and it was so far beyond Nogo that SS took it back and gave him a full refund!!!

Your Wonga......

I have the one that is featured in SS web site, never had an issue with it. Its a 308 and is easily capable of less then 0.5 moan. The AX stock requires the mag to be placed front edge in first then rocked back, its a bit unusual but soon get used to it

The problem with the feeding might be the magazines I found that on two I had bought that the metal feed lips will bent in slightly too much at the front making them tighten up on the cases causing slight marking of the brass, just bent them out a little and they were great after that

What about bullet presentation? im no gun smith but ive got almost 40 years in engineering so i can see when something aint lined up !

the rounds hit the lower part of the action, a 1911 feed ramp might help!!!

The mags on my AW just slotted in, and my single sled was the same?

Anyway thanks for the reply's guys

:blink::blink:

My point is the mag fit is Sh--e!

And dont confuse an AICS system to a proper AI rifle, i know they use different mag etc,

Ive not used a AX or a AXMC but i cant believe AI would let a battle rifle go out the door with mags that are a massive pain to fit!

This gun has a AICS AX type stock with single stack 5 and 10 round mags, i had one of these awhile ago in 300 WM long action, the mags just fell in the gun

I spoke to my mate last night, and this rifle also suffered from misfire's , so its now going back to SS , will update on the conclusions :wacko:

Its now been returned to SS, and from what i can understand from my mate its going to a gunsmith to be machined?

Have no idea whats going to be done, but his aint the only one!

He was told several???

Maybe its getting a feed ramp :wacko:

The AICS AX stock will accept AW, AICS and AX lipped magazines and feed without fault. A rifle has to have the mag opening to run double stack mags however.

The fault is not with the stock, or magazines.

​I agree that the new AICS AX stock has an awkward mag fitting system and don't know why they changed it

I've used both the latest AX right folding short action chassis (with latest pattern 5 round AICS lipped mag) and the AX308 with the AX double stack 10 round lipped mags. I've also used regular (no lip) AW 10 round mags in the AX308. They've all worked perfectly (in fact I am struggling to see any advantage of the lip with the AX308 as the AW mags fit perfect and seem totally secure without the lip). If you are having fit/feed issues with AI mags it's almost certainly the action which is the issue not the mags/chassis.

Well whatever the problem is? and it appeared to me to be an interface issue between the action and stock chassis,

As when the mags are inserted and the small front lip is engaged in the forward slot, the rear pushed up the engage the rear retainer the mag presents the top round to low, so when the bolts pushed forwards it strips the round from the mag and rams it into the lower part of the chamber??

Not good :o

However this is abit academic as far as this particular rifle goes , as my mate doesn't want it back!

Jim is unlucky! he also sometime back took delivery of a new Savage Fclass in 284 which turned out to be the worlds most inaccurate rifle!

At 100 mtrs it shot ten foot high and ten foot left :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

My mate picked his new AX 308 up last week, its in the new green colour which is quite cool,

Twice the price of the Nimrod and in 308 not 260, he will source a 260 barrel at some point, ordering the rifle in any other calibre apart from

308 incurs a hefty penalty, and puts £500 on the price!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived