New 7mm SAUM

I'm now having doubts about hunting vlds after having two pass throughs myself last month.

Always had good results on deer with 168grns vlds out of my 7mm SAUM. Two out of twelve deer had pass throughs in the same week, a roe doe at 380m and a mature fallow buck at 200m. Both first shots missed bone and went through both lungs and out. Second shots on both deer hit bone and dropped them.

It's not done much for my confidence with that set up.

I might go back to my Accubond load if I can find them.

I didnt find the 3 roe I had pass frews on, I did retreive a few foxes that went betweem 100 and 150yds, fortunetley in open fields so they were findable, to look at you wouldnt think they had been shot, try the 162gr amaxs, you wont be disapointed.atb swaro

How available is 7saum brass?

This was mt worry! I'm going to buy the brass then then start the build me thinks. I was thinking 200 caaes would do a barrel at 10 reloads each. But I'm not sure if that is obtainable.

Any idea on case life expectancy for the SAUM? I.e how many reloads per case?

I didnt find the 3 roe I had pass frews on, I did retreive a few foxes that went betweem 100 and 150yds, fortunetley in open fields so they were findable, to look at you wouldnt think they had been shot, try the 162gr amaxs, you wont be disapointed.atb swaro

I don't know if I would use 130 vlds on vermin myself Swaro. They're designed to penetrate 3 inches then fragment. So in my mind not fragile enough. But on roe they should in theory should do the job. I may try annealing them instead of changing bullet & load again.

I use amax in my 6x47L on everything and love them.

It was my intention to use 130gr vlds for everything too.they were extremely accurate and running at over 3000 fps in my 6.5 06 I thought that was ample fast enough to get the best out the berger.definately not the case.6.5 06 is my only hunter.i too would use 105gr amaxs if I had a 8 twist 6mm.

hunter686

The guys in the states are getting 5-7 reloads out of cases being pushed hard.

I am hoping for 10 reloads on "warm" loads.

however i will anneal after every 2nd firing.

Mark

Bang on! Just what I was looking for. Cheers Mark!

hunter686

The guys in the states are getting 5-7 reloads out of cases being pushed hard.

I am hoping for 10 reloads on "warm" loads.

however i will anneal after every 2nd firing.

Mark

I can't say I've ever had 7 reloads from the same case.i don't anneal but that only helps the neck area.alot of my cases start getting a crack line forming just up from the base.my 270 norma brass I neck down to 6.5 06 must be near 7 times.defo the best wearing brass I've ever used

I can't say I've ever had 7 reloads from the same case.i don't anneal but that only helps the neck area.alot of my cases start getting a crack line forming just up from the base.my 270 norma brass I neck down to 6.5 06 must be near 7 times.defo the best wearing brass I've ever used

I get a minimum of ten from my .204. Some are up around the 15 and are still looking good. In saying that i have just bought new Nosler stuff before somthing came up with my older brass.

Need to get into the annelaing man. Iv not long been finished doing mine. I really enjoy it!

Thats neck sizing I guess, mine and fl sized, maybe I am doing something wrong if my cases dont last, ive never adjusted my fl dies ive had, just standard procedure of set the die for a little cam over,1/8 to 1/4 turn.

I FL all my loads! There's nothing you can really do against case head separation, thats caused by the pressure as apposed to the work hardening of the brass- although it happens between the FL Sizing line and the case head there will be some difference in the brass structure either side if that line.

If that comes up before split necks then then your right, you don't have to worry at all about annealing. If you were bothered about the case life you are getting (which you are clearly not) then you would have to look at backing of your powder charge.

No head space gauge.gotta hornaday oal gauge.never found 308 brass lasts.ive used 5 or 600 lapua cases.they don't last no longer than any other.throat is gone in my 308.coal chambering a 155gr smk (2156) it measured 3.068 inches lol.it still shoots good at the mo.not gonna use them as they've 206 fow jump.168gr amaxs have 150 fow.they too were shooting well last time I used them.maybe 200 shots ago.

Archived