REMINGTON 700 S/A TORQUE SETTINGS

blueheckle

Guys I have a Rem 700 S/A LSSF, which I have put a Rem Police stock on, I am going to remove it to put a sling mount screw on it the threaded type with the bolt, and some new bottom metal, I will also be fitting a new PIc rail so will be zeroing from scratch so thought get it all sorted at the same time, my question is what torque do I set the two action screws I have been reading conflicting reports, I have not got a clue what its at at the moment as I never used a TW when I put it on but feel the groups could be tighter, seems factory settings are 45 inch/lbs, and some people vary between front and back, some people swear by 65 inch/lbs all round for pillar or block bedded stocks, just need some input and advice please tks.

I found 45 inch/lbs a little slack for my liking but i like everything hee-man tight. I do 55. Snug the front screw up(dont torque it right up). Thump the butt to seat the recoil lug(not really applicable for bedded rifles?), torque up rear screw and torque up front. Some people have found that differing torques front and back are best. Ive not experimented that much, but have found consistent torques mean a reliable return to zero if you have to strip it and rebuild.

Archived