Barrel wear in .22 Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22

Mauser3006

I've been looking for one of these for a while for a bit of fun and found one recently that is second hand and in my price range. It's had approx 1500 rounds through it. Whilst I'm not going to be using it for real competition level accuracy, I clearly want it to be as accurate as possible. So what do we think about 1500 rounds? Makes no difference or will it be worn out? Thanks

• 9 months later...

just bought a 1965 vintage BSA that shoots one hole groups at 50 m. Don't see an issue with 22lr that shoot lead heads all of their lives. Jacketed heads may be different as in 22 Mag. but with normal 22lr rimfire fodder there is not gonna be any wear on a steel barrel. Just my experience. Best regards. j.

just bought a 1965 vintage BSA that shoots one hole groups at 50 m. Don't see an issue with 22lr that shoot lead heads all of their lives. Jacketed heads may be different as in 22 Mag. but with normal 22lr rimfire fodder there is not gonna be any wear on a steel barrel. Just my experience. Best regards. j.

I agree that a .22 barrel is good for many tens of thousands of rounds, in fact more are probably damaged by cleaning than shooting.

Something to watch out for, especially in the old ex-club rifles are bulged barrels. A squib round, a heavy barrelled match rifle, earmuffs and an inexperienced shooter is not a good combination.

At one time, 1960-70's there seem to be at least one dud in every box of 50 Eley Club.

When I was working with rimfires a lot, I changed two ruger 10/22 barrels that were fitted to club guns. The club had fairly detailed records of the rounds down each.

Both were actually shot out, and had suddenly "gone off"

One had fired 120, 000 rounds, the other 150,000.

Never seen one since.

Archived