7mm STW

Guest northernchris

It interests me too Chris, but i know very little of it, apart from its a very short barrel life reputedly...sub 1000 rounds?

The 7mm allen mag also interests too, but Kirby Allen holds the reamer rights, so any gun chambered in it, is built by him. However, i believe that Callum Ferguson has something very similar, he,s pioneered.

I heard they they can go out after 700 rounds, you wouldnt want to waste too many rounds running in the barrel.

Guest Smeagle

I put up a post on it ages ago on PFS, it is a very popular round in the States the Shooting Times Western and is used extensively. However there are a number of issues with it especially in the UK, obtaining bits is a bit of a problem for a start and as it is a hot round you run through a few.

For example it runs a 7mm obviously with all the benefits that the high BC brings with it, but at 120 gr you can pump them out at up to 3,500 fps, which is impressive in anyone's book, then you can go up from there right up to a whopping 195 gr and it is still travelling at 2,800 fps. To put that into perspective that is faster than a 7mm Rem Mag or a 7mm WSM. It is a kick arse round and if you want to shoot stuff on Mars it will get you there.

But hell its hard on kit.

Guest Smeagle

In terms of performance they are roughly the same, the difference is minimal so I would assume and that may or may be not foolish, that barrel life would be similar or so close as to not make much difference, may be 50 to 100 rounds longer in the Ultra Mag.

In terms of where it fits pretty much in the same class and ball park. Perhaps just slightly less obscure which can be of benefit.

Guest northernchris

Cheers all

i knew barrel life would be poor just wanted to now if it was a overly common over the pond here??? because on paper it looks like a pretty hot round.

Chris

Guest Smeagle

I am sure they do it just to confuse and annoy us. :P Especially when you check many of these out they are virtually identical to others on the market, just a different name or slightly different on the shoulders.

Guest 308Panther

They do it for one reason....to sell Guns.

The manufacture only benefits from a new gun sale, and occasional part sale.

While the ammo companies benefit many times over,and in a few cases the Gun

manufacture owns the ammo manufacture...Win and Rem come to mind real quick.

So they benefit a bit more than others.

Lets face it...if they only made one of the following:

small bore rimfire caliber

medium bore hunting caliber

Large bore hunting caliber

Life would be very boring and the gun makes would be out of bussines.

308Panther

They are both Shooting Times Westerner rounds one a 7mm and the other a .25.

The 25 will throw 75grn at 4100 or even more if you dare but after all its a bigger case than the 300Win Mag.

It makes 3650fps with Sierra 120gr with R22 in the 7mm look rather slow but with the 7mm getting the max fps isn't the be all and end all as it is the heavier bullets that make it a winner. At 160grn it outclasses everything else - and how !

Barrel life on both above is often better than expected if sensible loading is undertaken. Max loads in any rifle with fast powder and mag primers will shorten barrel life. In one review 10years use and 1200 rounds later a match barrel will still give 1/2MOA groups even using near top loads so drop a wee bit and life can extend noticeably.

Remember various makers chamber factory rifles for the 7mm round - Remington included.

Hello & cheer' s 325WSM sound 's like a rifle but i will stick with my basic 25cal it dose well for me.Chris fit you mean speak english? & when i get thing's sorted out here i may contact you for fallow stalking.

Archived