Ruger Precision Rifle mags

activeviii

Having problems with ELD-X 140gr bullets and seating depths. if i start loading .010 off then there is no way i can get in the Magpul mag. im 3mm off if i load to the mag length. 2.795 OAL to fit mag

I can't single load as the mag stops the bolt closing when mag is empty.

question, where can I get my hands on an all metal mag, something that's not going to break the bank, so i can either single load or cut up and modify. i did find some for £12 but i have slept since then and now forgotten where.

Anyone have or now where please.

Thanks for time

Phil.

Have you tried shooting loads seated to fit the magazine? There is much hub-hub on some of the American sites about 6.5 CM shooters breaking their necks to get longer magazines for the RPR and sadly, most are doing this without ever trying the bullet seated deeper. They simply assume that their best accuracy will come from bullets seated out farther than the MagPul -made magazines will allow. I don't believe this is necessarily true.~Andrew

Yes. Anything is possible.

But some chambers are deliberately cut to have a long throat. The 308 Norma Magnum was one. Custom gunsmiths in the US ran into all kinds of pressure problems when they eliminated the "free bore". Likewise Weatherby MkV rifles. THis isn't a a problem if the owner is going to keep the rifle, but it does present a problem if it gets sold once or twice and an unwitting soul chambers a full house factory load. So yes, if you have a chamber reamer built without a throat section, you can custom throat a chamber to whatever length you want.

That's if you place that much value on seating bullets to X-thou from the lands. I'm not one of those. I have too many rifles for which I load to recommended OAL on FL sized brass that shoot far better than I do. Likewise, I have rifles like my CZ Hornet that have a throat long enough to require a 35 grain V-MAx to be almost out of the case to close in on the lands, yet it shoots consistent half MOA with said bullets seated to spec OAL. I also have a 300 Blackout which is throated for 240 grain 30 caliber bullets yet I get 1/2 - 5/8 MOA from 110 grain V-Max, and solid hald MOA with 125 grain Speer TNT and Nosler BT's. I have not measured the throat of the 300 but I'm thinking those three bullets need to vault a bit of open ground to hit the lands.~Andrew

Yes. Anything is possible.

But some chambers are deliberately cut to have a long throat. The 308 Norma Magnum was one. Custom gunsmiths in the US ran into all kinds of pressure problems when they eliminated the "free bore". Likewise Weatherby MkV rifles. THis isn't a a problem if the owner is going to keep the rifle, but it does present a problem if it gets sold once or twice and an unwitting soul chambers a full house factory load. So yes, if you have a chamber reamer built without a throat section, you can custom throat a chamber to whatever length you want.

That's if you place that much value on seating bullets to X-thou from the lands. I'm not one of those. I have too many rifles for which I load to recommended OAL on FL sized brass that shoot far better than I do. Likewise, I have rifles like my CZ Hornet that have a throat long enough to require a 35 grain V-MAx to be almost out of the case to close in on the lands, yet it shoots consistent half MOA with said bullets seated to spec OAL. I also have a 300 Blackout which is throated for 240 grain 30 caliber bullets yet I get 1/2 - 5/8 MOA from 110 grain V-Max, and solid half MOA with 125 grain Speer TNT and Nosler BT's. I have not measured the throat of the 300 but I'm thinking those three bullets need to vault a bit of open ground to hit the lands.~Andrew

SORRY! I goofed up editing.

Great advice as usual Andrew.

I would add that factory chambers are always going to be cut long, simply to avoid the company being sued when someone stuffs an overloaded homeload in there. If the throat was short....Kaboom.

There is a very simple solution. Use a tangent ogive bullet like a matchking or one of the scenars that isn't secant shaped. All these bullets jump well and are pretty tolerant of where they are loaded.

I,ll give you a good example from a test I ran.

I bought an AI AX a couple of years ago that is chambered in 7.62. It has a long throat. Almost 0.100" over a standard mag length. So I loaded up 100 rounds in 10,s and made them 10 thou longer, each 10 rounds. This gave me 10 rounds at 10 different lengths, all the way up to the lands. I spent a full day at Diggle and shot 10 groups.

There was no difference in any of them, group size wise.

So I now simply load at comfortable mag length and shoot.

The bullet is a Lapua Scenar 167 grain. I,m not sure of its exact shape, but it isn't secant ogive.More a hybrid of the two....but it jumps lovely.

Those rifles just shoot, if you forced a 32gr 6 in the chamber and fired it it would shoot a cloverleaf.they are quite impressive.

Neil,and consistent .....

so that's 253/3 ie 84 clover leafs ( and one pellet left over through the same hole as another-not even a flier).

No doubt it could do 253/5 ie 50 5 shot groups,with three pellets clover leafing on the sighter target,which woud be about ten seasons bench rest competition ,in just one shot.

Great for barrel life, even compared to a 6.5-06 :-)

gbal

Archived