DIY Turret Wraps

That is what i used Adam, when i put the picture of the turret i did on FB.

Pricey but by the reviews waterproof!

Still cheaper than ordering from a custom turret seller...

True, and plenty left over for spare turrets!

I wanted to do my next set as white on black, I wonder how the vinyl would take to being printed black... need to order some and play :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, and plenty left over for spare turrets!

I wanted to do my next set as white on black, I wonder how the vinyl would take to being printed black... need to order some and play :)

Stuff in my previous pics was matte vinyl. I left a buggered one in a glass of of water over night and it was still sticky with zero colour run.

• 2 months later...

Just out of interest, when making up windage turret wraps does anyone else include spin drift within their wraps for right (90*) or left (270*) wind as this effects the results.

BC 0.490

2882 fps

95gr

1:8 right twist barrel

550 yd 90* 10mph wind correction is 4moa

550 yd 270* 10mph wind correction is 3.5moa

Just interested if others add this or not...

Not sure its in here but theres lot to read so may ahve missed it

But Chairgunner Pro (Hawke Ballisitcs program)

Gives output for Click value with near and far and can be imported into Excel ( i change Clicks to MOA as its easier to See on the scope) I just print the chart

Range with the laser find the MOA (up the left down the right and dial that

this is the 17HMR to 200 bit in boarders is printed and laminated with Sellotape to the stock

Blue ie 0.5MOA is the normal setting i have it on for hunting gives a PBR in a 1" KZone from 34 to 120 yrds (rabbit head shot)

ideal for Quick shooting and Night Vision use

13006563_10207841032321820_2073681770508

Version two just uploaded for the NXS

I've got this one for NXS (a single turn on a 10MOA per turn turret) Adam - pm sent.
Cheers

Totally agree a good old dope card is great, I just wanted to take it a step further and have it on the turret

• 3 months later...

Neil, many of these 'atmospheric' variables -and include Coreolis and spin drift etc etc,are not significant in the UK at normal hunting ranges,with modern ammunition. Trajectory and wind drift are,and these guides are useful/useable aids,which minimise errors in the shooting solutions.

(why 12-if you want to have every nuance covered,it would run to hundreds of combinations,but still only a few clicks,at most in extreme for uk conditions (distance and windage excepted).

Useable/useful is one set for the modal conditons,and maybe another IF conditions will be radically different.

With a 200 zero and then 25y (even 50y) intervals to 400,should cover most shots.

Fitted inside the front scope flip up cover is worth considering fast deployment.

LR target shooting will be dependent on sighters for windage anyhow-though the same principles apply-not degree by degree,surely.Have a read at the admitedly rather extreme Gelston shoot write up....

gbal

These things are good but every day is different . different humidity.temperature etc etc.you would need 12 different turrets too allow for all the variables.

Well yes and no. Clearly at the extremes yes, the firing solution becomes more sensitive to a range of variables and needs more precise calculation particularly for small targets. That's why you have the MOA/Mil sub tensions on the tape. Nothing stopping you using it in that mode.

However it is also a no. Atmospherics are not a key fundamental at all ranges; it is possible to just use an 'offset' for the atmospherics in many circumstances (for me at least); for larger targets where speed is required then the drop calcs are done offline giving a faster but still pretty accurate shot.

So for short and medium ranges I can dial in a faster elevation correction while still retaining the flexibility of the original scope sub tensions.

All very clever.

In reality I can see that damn numbers in the field without my glasses...

I have mine on my .204 so I'm only going out to 500yrds. Upto that point there is only 1/4 of a click in it at any weather extreme for me. At the start of a day I'll either fire a test shot at a known distance then adjust accordingly for the rest of they day. Option 2: I'll rig up my ballistics app as normal and compare data with my turret and and make a mental note on what to do for the day i.e 10°c warmer .25 of a click less than turret suggests. If I'm missing at that it's usually my fault instead of the 1.25 inches vertical i was out at 500yrds

I carried a range card I made with data up to about 750yds.thinking back it was probaly done in low temps.i was waiting for Mr Fox to show and he did at 540yds.quickly dialed in an fired.missed over.saw dirt kick up.i went on bal cal and typed in current conditions and it put my poi 5 inches higher due to being one of the hottest evenings all year.i no longer keep a range card.ive been using my phone bal cal for months and months before every outing. I do the bal cal with current temps etc and do a screen shot on my phone.ive waited alot years for a shot like that.

• 7 months later...

adamdavi3s,

I hope this is what you meant!!!

I have a Sightron S111SS8-32x56LRMOA.

I would like to either get a replacement windage turret OR a label giving 0-7 right then 0-7 left instead of 0-14 one way! (I hope this makes sense!!)

I have read your excellent guide on 'how to' but still rather lost!!

Any info you could give would be appreciated. Thank you

John G

• 1 month later...

adamdavi3s,

I hope this is what you meant!!!

I have a Sightron S111SS8-32x56LRMOA.

I would like to either get a replacement windage turret OR a label giving 0-7 right then 0-7 left instead of 0-14 one way! (I hope this makes sense!!)

I have read your excellent guide on 'how to' but still rather lost!!

Any info you could give would be appreciated. Thank you

John G

John, my apologies I have just been snowed under with a new job! Will try and knock this together tonight for you

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, Standardelg said:

I know it’s an old thread, but still excellent work. I‘ve hacked together an online tool at turretlabels.com

0AD37427-373F-4070-A7A6-8BBA5768D645.jpeg

Superb thank you, I’ll have a play later on! Thank you for making it free, I can suggest a donate button for H4H similar? 

When I download it it saves it as a .png, which when i try to print it,  fills the whole width of an A4 page, what am i doing wrong

Hi mitch308

What operating system are you using? The image created is a 600dpi image. Printing in 600dpi with no scaling (100%) should give you the true and correct size.

I’m using a mac myself, and using preview, I convert to pdf and print that pdf.

On Windows you could open image in Paint and print from there?

I’ll find some time to make some guides. If others have input on how to print in actual size or tricks how to do it, please share :)

1 hour ago, Standardelg said:

Hi mitch308

What operating system are you using? The image created is a 600dpi image. Printing in 600dpi with no scaling (100%) should give you the true and correct size.

I’m using a mac myself, and using preview, I convert to pdf and print that pdf.

On Windows you could open image in Paint and print from there?

I’ll find some time to make some guides. If others have input on how to print in actual size or tricks how to do it, please share :)

I'm using windows 10, tried printing from paint but still get the large format, ill keep playing around