Is any pitting acceptable?

Landyrattle

Hi, as a newbie I'd appreciate some advice.

I've been offered a high quality rifle whose barrel has nice crisp rifling and an undamaged crown but has some pitting, supposedly due to poor cleaning before storage.

Is there any way of gauging what impact pitting may have on the potential precion that the rifle could offer or is it best to walk away if the price cannot be 'adjusted' to allow for a new barrel?

Many thanks.

I've been offered a high quality rifle whose barrel has nice crisp rifling and an undamaged crown but has some pitting, supposedly due to poor cleaning before storage.

Is there any way of gauging what impact pitting may have on the potential precion that the rifle could offer or is it best to walk away if the price cannot be 'adjusted' to allow for a new barrel?

Many thanks.

Personally I`d walk.

Many thanks.

It depends on the price of the rifle and its intended purpose. If you want to shoot bench rest then I wouldn't take the chance, but if you're shooting deer or fox then it wouldn't be such a issue.

I have a heavily pitted barrel that has shot 100's of foxes.

landyrattle-same as you'd do for a Landy rattle-check it out!

ie as jcs and elwood-shoot it and see if the holes on paper are good enough for your useage.If not,or you can't so test it,SWS has the no risk option. A rebarrel might be around £750.....it would have to be a superior rifle to justify that premium,and be reflected in the price.

gbal

My 6.5 06 barrels bore is pitted and cracked real bad now and it still shoots extremely well.gave me 1st place in 1000yds club shoot sunday in that real windy conditions.my 308 bore has pitting too and that gave me 1st place aswell in second 1000yds shoot.ive had both from new so get it checked by a smith who knows best.

It depends really, i have borescoped one or two barrels, some i have seen that have had minimal pitting and that have shot ok for a couple of hundred rounds then dropped off in accuracy and others, like one of my tikkas at the moment that most scrap yards would reject, it looks awful but just keeps shooting.

Btw you dont mention what it is, action, calibre. That would be good to know.

Btw you dont mention what it is, action, calibre. That would be good to know.

I think this is relevant, it's just a hunch, but I would think that small calibres and high velocities would be less likely to tolerate any pitting, a big bore with a slow bullet may not be so bad.

I saw a guy at the range shooting an antique rifle that looked like it had been dug up, the pitting on the outside was 100% coverage, he said the bore was ok and it shot well, I can't believe the inside of the bore was smooth. Of course shooting well is relative too, it was an antique military rifle, nobody would expect 1MoA.

Many thanks for all your replies. The rifle in question is a Sako TRG in .308, but its without scope & mounts which makes trying it problematic so I think I'm going to leave it.

That's the safe option, but if the price is right it is at least an action which is well worth rebarreling.

Ah, therein lies the question, what would it be worth!

The asking price is currently £1900, I suspect that may be open to some further negotiation but my gut feeling is that is on the high side given the gamble on the pitting?

By the time you've re-barrelled it, you'd have spent the cost of a brand new TRG; give or take £100!

Ah, therein lies the question, what would it be worth!

The asking price is currently £1900, I suspect that may be open to some further negotiation but my gut feeling is that is on the high side given the gamble on the pitting?

Thats NOT a bargain.

£2550 will buy you a new one and that's without haggling.

If you like the gun and it shoots well for what you want it to do then give it a go. If it can be re-barreled at a cost you can deal with then thats a bonus but if you are happy with it then thats the most important part, I have seen a few guys at the club psych themselves out thinking about potential gun faults when it is the nut behind the bolt thats not shooting well on the day!! If it were my purchase test it, borescope it if you have one and enjoy!!

The way I see it:

Pitted barrel rifle £1900 - minimal warranty (the RFD has been honest and told you it has a pitted barrel so come backs are limited ) , you will start wondering what you've done when you have a bad days shooting.

Brand New with full warranty £2550 (max) ,and full peace of mind .(New price excluding VAT £2125)

Cost of a new barrel ? most likely more than £650.

In my eyes for it to be a bargain it would have to be £1500 or less .

Archived