Sako A7 Roughtech 243

cockneykev

Sako A7 Roughtech 243 advice

Hi all ,

Ive just purchased a Sako A7 roughtech in .243 with a 24" fluted barrel ( as it seems 243 are barrel length fussy re rounds ) this will be used for general foxing and deer management.

Question is has anyone had any problems with the Sako and if so what ?

Also can anyone recommend a really good reflex moddy ?

Look forward to your replies

Kev

More likely to be the twist rate of the barrel and bullet choice that won't shoot not barrel length.

Sure these are 1/10 twist from the factory so I would stick to bullet weights 90grn and under,

You might get lucky and get a 100grn soft point to shoot?

More likely to be the twist rate of the barrel and bullet choice that won't shoot not barrel length.

Sure these are 1/10 twist from the factory so I would stick to bullet weights 90grn and under,

Thanks, never owned a Sako before but it felt right in fit and weight so went for it..... did read somewhere that 55grn was a very good varmint round any thoughts ?

Thanks, never owned a Sako before but it felt right in fit and weight so went for it..... did read somewhere that 55grn was a very good varmint round any thoughts ?

good afternoon 87gr vmax and wildcat evolution moderator

Thanks for your reply, As i replied to happyhunter re 55grn any thoughts ?

kev, as others have said,the 243-just like every other calibre-needs its bullet (weight) matched to the fixed rifle barrel twist rate.Barrel length has no effect on that-longer barrels may give a small velocity increase

You do not need any more velocity for fox with any 243 bullet-some talk carelessly about 'flatter' but this is in fractions of an inch,at foxing distances. What does matter is choosing a bullet of appropriate structure-bullets designed for larger deer need trialing( others will have done this) on fox,and crucially,a some light bullets designed to disintegrate violently on very small varmints (think squirrel size.) should not be used for deer-there are legal guidlines-but sometimes (US) bullet design is geared to the US market...

But anything of the right construction (and you'll get actual useage recommendations on that from users here) from the newer light 55g on up to the classic 87 g will suit your Sako. You don't need heavier,but you might find the 90g,even 95 stabilise...and you might not. I've had Sako's that were superb with the older 87g-my bullet of choice before the really light ones (55-58) became available (for vermin).

At the other end of the distance scale,despite it's formidable ballistics-as a varminter-the 243 is currently limited by the lack of a really effective good BC small varmint bullet (bunny size)-and is prone to through and through wounds (Amax becomes suspect at long range). BC is simply not a concern for 250 yard shooting,but does come into play at longer ranges-for those experienced/competent to even think about it).

But there should be no problem finding an effective fox bullet and an effective deer bullet-you may be fortunate and be able to use one loading for both species-the balance has to be that the deer load has to be spot on-you might get away with a 'varmint' bullet for fox,but that will be a severe liability for deer. Back in the day,the 87g class soft points from Sierra,for example,fit the bill. Much as I like the newer 55g class,I would not use these on deer-just lack the impact/energy transfer of the suitable heavier bullets,which will also deal with fox,properly checked out.

Sakos are very decent rifles,and should do all you wish,from the box.

gbal

Remember if you stray north of Hadrian`s wall to stay legal you need to use at least a 100 grain bullet for Red deer.

LOL, i cant see that happening to soon as ive only gone as far as Kingsbridge ..... going to use mainly for foxing ..... only concern is ive seen a lot of complaints re the mag on utube, might do a bit more checking out on it before making the big finial payment and look at possiable options instead of the Sako...

Archived