Brexit - Yes or No?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Should UK leave the EU?

• Yes - Leave
    • No - Stay in

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really annoys me is that the establishment first tried to blame us oldies for spoiling it for the younger people by out-voting them.

It then became clear that @ 2/3 of the 18 - 25 year-olds, who were eligible to vote, were too bloody lazy to even bother voting.

So now they are trying to say that the majority of Brexit voters were in a lower intelligence bracket than the Remain voters.........................in other words we are all thick.

I just get the feeling that they are looking for an excuse, to make up a reason, as to why the vote isn't as meaningful as it needs to be.................

I can just imagine the speech in The House; "Er sorry, but as the leave vote was compiled of people of limited intelligence, we feel it is in the country's interest to overrule it."

Let's face it, they're already hinting at it.

G

What really annoys me is that the establishment first tried to blame us oldies for spoiling it for the younger people by out-voting them.

It then became clear that @ 2/3 of the 18 - 25 year-olds, who were eligible to vote, were too bloody lazy to even bother voting.

So now they are trying to say that the majority of Brexit voters were in a lower intelligence bracket than the Remain voters.........................in other words we are all thick.

I just get the feeling that they are looking for an excuse, to make up a reason, as to why the vote isn't as meaningful as it needs to be.................

I can just imagine the speech in The House; "Er sorry, but as the leave vote was compiled of people of limited intelligence, we feel it is in the country's interest to overrule it."

G

I think it all comes down to the National malaise that seems to be rife in this country .... trying to blame something/somebody else. It's never "their" fault. They've been brought up to believe that there are no losers in life. Everybody gets a medal. This is probably the first taste of reality that a lot of 'em have ever experienced, and they don't like it. Shame. Tough. Get over it. (Tact has never been my strong point! :lol: )

G

Yup.

The propagandised perpetuation of this 'thick people'/'clever people' stuff is utter bullshit:

43% of ABs voted leave, 51% of C1s .....

post-1450-0-69033200-1467619895.png

(LordAshcroft polls)

So, look around any roomful of professionals, and despite what the outraged 'I hate you because I'm better than you, you thick old Northern Racist' whingers are saying, roughly half of the professionals in the room will have voted leave - and a lot of people aren't admitting it because it's been stigmatised by the people who've turned out to be hateful: the vocal/protesting/petitioning/marching losers.

I've two theories:

Brexit happened because of political correctness. The PC brigade stopped discussion of all real issues by shouting racist or bigot at anyone who held any views that differed to their own. So, eventually: Boom.

We will not leave the EU. Cameron did the ultimate hospital pass to Johnson, which Johnson then swerved. Article 50 will require an Act of Parliament before initiation (to undo the 1972 'joining' Act). There is no way a new government will get such an Act passed in Parliament - it can also distance itself from a referendum that didn't happen on its watch....and that'll be it. -but not doom and gloom, we'll have a much stronger voice.

Gents, I'm also beginning to think brexit ain't gonna happen............the US were desperate for us to stay in as part of their own political agenda.

Could this be why our gov. are beginning to wriggle ?

H/man

Yup.

The propagandised perpetuation of this 'thick people'/'clever people' stuff is utter bullshit:

43% of ABs voted leave, 51% of C1s .....

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-07-04 at 09.10.16.png

(LordAshcroft polls)

So, look around any roomful of professionals, and despite what the outraged 'I hate you because I'm better than you, you thick old Northern Racist' whingers are saying, roughly half of the professionals in the room will have voted leave - and a lot of people aren't admitting it because it's been stigmatised by the people who've turned out to be hateful: the vocal/protesting/petitioning/marching losers.

I've two theories:

Brexit happened because of political correctness. The PC brigade stopped discussion of all real issues by shouting racist or bigot at anyone who held any views that differed to their own. So, eventually: Boom.

We will not leave the EU. Cameron did the ultimate hospital pass to Johnson, which Johnson then swerved. Article 50 will require an Act of Parliament before initiation (to undo the 1972 'joining' Act). There is no way a new government will get such an Act passed in Parliament - it can also distance itself from a referendum that didn't happen on its watch....and that'll be it. -but not doom and gloom, we'll have a much stronger voice.

Unfortunately BD, I think you're right. And also unfortunately that will mean casting a serious doubt on democracy.

I was listening to a Radio 4 program last week where a MEP was being interviewed about the process for leaving the EU. In this he stated, as you have just articulated, that Article 50 cannot be invoked until an act of parliament is passed to reverse the 'joining act'. What was interesting is that he clearly stated that this act will be automatically passed and not subject to a parliamentary vote because it would have been initiated by the referendum.

His words, not mine.

The crux may become how quick Juncker can be got rid of. If he stays it's 'more Eu control', exactly what people voted against. Merkel however seems to be plotting his demise ( how difficult can it be to get rid of a drunk who talks to aliens). Other issues to offer an olive branch to the UK maybe more difficult when on one hand trying to balance immigration and on the other accelerating the joining / freedom of movement for Turkey within Eu countries (at least schengen countries).

I must say the Czech Pm is a spineless git, had he supported the Czech President in a call for a referendum we might have been seeing fundermental Eu change ( as other v4 countries would likely follow) rather than Merkels damage limitation exercise.

Whilst I'd agree that our leaders have no appetite for brexit, we will have a new pm but effectively the same goverment, to truly shut the process down , would need another general election in which clear lines were drawn regarding the eu in the manifestos. The result would then be used to justify a course of action. But right now no politician will run that risk as although UKIP would be unlikely to gain any real power the vote ( until labour especially stabilise) could be split to open up even greater rifts within the UK.

I'd guess parliament will kick the issue back and forth until the elections in France etc.next year give a clearer indication of which way europe is likely to reform (or not).

A strong expression of Anti Eu sentiment will be to our advantage in any negotiation, talking to German colleagues there is considerable resentment with the eu across germany and some frustration that they are unlikely to ever be able to express this at the ballot box.

My MP is desperately unhappy with the result, but seeing as here the vote was 64% in favour of brexit , he was either deluded / totaly out of touch or the eternal optimist.

You never see the bars of the prison until you start pushing at the prison door

We had a democratic choice after it was denied to us for 40 years

Unfortunately (apparently) us thickos got it wrong

Their solution - if they are allowed to get away with it?

Either force us to keep voting until we get it right

or

Overturn democracy allowing the elite 10% to decide what is in our best interests (in reality - their best interests)

However - once that happens the entire legitimacy of our legal and governmental systems are undermined

Thereafter - they will inherit a whirlwind

It is probably a far fetched theory....but if parliament were to completely overule the wishes of the people in this way.

Democracy would be denied would there be the possibility of the queen dissolving parliament?

Maybe with the backing of miltary intervention?

Sounds nuts I know but MPs ignoring the people in that manner is surely a dangerous road to travel?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't believe any Govt would dare ignore the will of the people, taken in a national referendum.

If they are stupid enough to vote against it in the commons, the lords would overturn that [ i believe they still can ]

A government that ignores democracy, isn't a government, and would be removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived