new rifle trouble

moonfleet

Moon - Mine's a .223 - not 22-250 - and whilst respecting all posts reference brand preferences and comments about Howa quality, mine seemingly came out of the lucky bag.

The pic is three shot "group" with 50gn Norma, though it will shoot 40gn Vmax, 53gn Superformance, 55 Vmax and 50gn Sako Gamehead into 0.6 / 0.8.

I like it and feel confident with it and it fitted my budget at the time.

My ideal rifle . . . . .

Plus 1 on this. My friend use a 223 howa varmint . I've seen this rifle shoot 1/4 inch groups on several occasions. Although it did have to have the extractor fettled with. It was having trouble extracting fired rounds but was easily remedied. A very good rifle for the money in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

T3 has the bonus of a good trigger vs the remmy. Remmy might be cheaper.

Most factory rifles have cheap stocks that can be improved.

I would go 1/8 T3 and have the option of 40-75gr bullets to play with.

as a pure lamping tool with 50/55gr I prefer the remmy.

edi

Well to throw another rifle into the mix, our club has purchased one of the moss erg MPV rifles in .223 and I was supervising a probationer last week. With GGG milsurp it shot very well in 200 yard steps back to 600 yards with a 'so-so' scope fitted.

Howa's that I've come across/used have been very accurate - Dave, have they dropped their standards (which would be a shame!)

Rem700's have been around and can/do shoot, plenty of parts and fixes. Bit pricey by the time they reach UK shores.

The last rifle I purchased was a Tikka T3 and it shoots well and the factory trigger can be adjusted to be very useable.

You do not say what your budget is? How about buying a used rifle and having a new barrel put on it?

T

Archived