new rifle trouble

moonfleet

deciding on a new rifle this year .223 but cant decide tikka t3 lite hopefully adjustable or Remington sps stainless what would you go for.

No brainer , Tikka every time , Google Tikka rifle problems then Google Remington rifle problems , you'll see what I mean.

+ http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/32269-do-remington-make-a-decent-rifle/?hl=decent

SWShooter and his Remy hating :P

I've got two remingtons and have had no issue with them. What I would say is the SPS(spastic plastic stock) stocks are absolute crap. But so are the T3 stocks....(ok, maybe a little less so than the SPS, but still crap)

If you can, find owners locally or if you're in a club, and try either. I tried the T3 and didn't like it at all.

I found both actions a bit big for .223 sized rounds. CZ do a great micro mauser action that is the perfect size for .223, Nice wee rifles the 527's.

tikka every time ,you could buy a £700 Remington then spend another £700/£1000 to get it shooting each to their own,good luck with your choice .I have to say a cz 527 laminated varmint1in9 would be a good choice for 223rem I have owned two remingtons one a 700pss in the early 80s brilliant but heavy 308cal and in 2009 I got a new 700 sps in .243 140rounds and two months later sold on to a dealer poor accuracy and on 3 occations the rifle fired when the bolt was closed. buyer beware.i also own a 6.5x55 steyr pro hunter,2 crap stock .look at the bergara rifles as well

tikka every time ,you could buy a £700 Remington then spend another £700/£1000 to get it shooting each to their own

While it's very easy to spend plenty of cash on a Remington, the above simply isn't true.

If it were the case, Remingtons wouldn't be as popular as they are. I've two off the rack Remingtons that shoot great, with the appropriate loads. Plenty of others out there experiencing the same thing, or they just wouldn't sell.

They don't have the best factory trigger out there. Some of the stocks they offer are pants. Some of them will benefit from a bit of epoxy bedding - but what factory rifle wont.....

I do agree(as I've already said), the 527 is an excellent choice, only let down by it's lack of aftermarket stocks and fancy bits - if that's your thing. If you want a compact no frills rifle that will do what it's meant to do day in day out.....its a winner.

bloody hell I wish I hadn't posted im going to take a look at the remy and tika I chose the tikka with adjustable stock for night vision (eventually) I do like remi actions but the cost of re stocking may be a little expensive the c/z well after market stocks etc isn't readily available as in future I may want that option.

Moonfleet-my sympathy,but choice has two sides to it.

I'd focus first on what you want in the rifle-calibre,weight and those basics. Remington will have a model,Tikkka also,very likely. Dn't get too caught up in the 'must spend' on 'upgrades' etc-but factor that in if you think you must.Remember you only need one suitablestock,so wide choice-for Remingtons-is more a reflection of the wide preferences of the 5 million that own one.

I have/had both,older ones-one remington is the most accurate factory rifle I have shot,but had a poor plastic stock which should be replaced,as it just hurt (308) :the tikkas had that old reliable wood option that just fit fine.I would not dream of replacing a Sako stock.

Much is done to factory rifles,but much is 'pimping' -not performance enhancing,so optional.Buy the most functional one.

"Ask not what you can do for your rifle. Ask what your rifle can do for you." :-)

gbal

SWShooter and his Remy hating :P

I've got two remingtons and have had no issue with them. What I would say is the SPS(spastic plastic stock) stocks are absolute crap. But so are the T3 stocks....(ok, maybe a little less so than the SPS, but still crap)

If you can, find owners locally or if you're in a club, and try either. I tried the T3 and didn't like it at all.

I found both actions a bit big for .223 sized rounds. CZ do a great micro mauser action that is the perfect size for .223, Nice wee rifles the 527's.

I knew you'd soon turn up :D

Just balancing out your anti Remy rhetoric, no worries ;)

Have you tried one yet?

thanks for replies as for the advice to look at a howa I have had a look new models have improved triggers.and I believe faster rifle twists theyre now doing a smaller action but I cant find any real info on accuracy.223 david hancock has a hice 22.250 ive looked at several times on forum but too big for my needs. anybody know anything about .223 howa accuracy also how about the weatherby which is a re branded howa does anybody have info on them id love to hear ffrom owners of both rifles so if you've got one please tell.

Yeh, Remmy's are utter crap.

Thats why every other rifle that isn't a mauser action is virtually a copy of the design.

Nothing wrong with them. Neither a Tikka.

Both guns benefit from a bit of aftermarket love.

Howa's used to be great out of the box. I,ve seen an awful lot of dogs lately. Failure to feed [especially in .223] and absolutely appalling chambers and bores when viewed. One was so bad it simply wouldn't shoot, it was taking so much jacket off the bullets.

Are you looking to buy new or second hand? Do you reload?

I've a tikka t3 lite stainless in .223 1/12" twist factory barrel sat in a t3 varmint stock with a sako picatinny rail, tactical bolt knob, metal shroud, reduced trigger spring (breaks like glass at 1lb).

The barrel has had 200 52gr a-max down it and 119 50grn v-max (81 loaded rounds with h4895 remain) The stock has a few scratches from out foxing, the barrelled action is in a1 condition.

Shoots exceptionally well for a factory rifle, its just sitting in the cabinet doing nothing as I sold the nv unit off it and use my .22/250 drone pro combo for all my foxing now.

Reloading consumables and dies available if required?

If your intrested send a pm

thank you for the offer but I don't re load and I would like a new rifle when I eventually decide and get what I want it will not be getting replaced the adjustable stock is what I would like though.

moonfleet.

thanks for replies as for the advice to look at a howa I have had a look new models have improved triggers.and I believe faster rifle twists theyre now doing a smaller action but I cant find any real info on accuracy.223 david hancock has a hice 22.250 ive looked at several times on forum but too big for my needs. anybody know anything about .223 howa accuracy also how about the weatherby which is a re branded howa does anybody have info on them id love to hear ffrom owners of both rifles so if you've got one please tell.

Howa are good , I`ve got one but you will still hanker for something Finnish :)

I think there was a problem with the 223 extractors on the Howas that can be fixed with free replacement parts (at least from what I have read on the net). Apart from that, another vote here for the CZ - our club 223 is a CZ in laminate stock, varmint barrel and wearing a very nice vVortex scope. Shoots extremely well at 100 and 200yds at Bisley.

I have also held, but not shot, the Howa 223 in laminate and this also looked great and felt well made.

Regards

Mark

Yeh, Remmy's are utter crap.

Thats why every other rifle that isn't a mauser action is virtually a copy of the design.

Nothing wrong with them. Neither a Tikka.

Both guns benefit from a bit of aftermarket love.

Howa's used to be great out of the box. I,ve seen an awful lot of dogs lately. Failure to feed [especially in .223] and absolutely appalling chambers and bores when viewed. One was so bad it simply wouldn't shoot, it was taking so much jacket off the bullets.

Very true Dave. My Howa was exactly like that, when I brought it to you. Needless to say, it went back and then started the regular visits to Valkyrie..... :D

Also my Tikka .223 that you have worked your magic on, is exactly what the doctor ordered!!!

They don't have the best factory trigger out there. Some of the stocks they offer are pants. Some of them will benefit from a bit of epoxy bedding - but what factory rifle wont.....

A good description of many production rifles. Only quibble would be that most stocks are pants.

Buy whichever one comes with a laminate stock...

• 3 weeks later...

Moon - neither. Howa 223 short action. Save yourself some cash.

That is one hell of a good tool, probably the best factory rifle I have ever seen accuracy wise.

A

Moon - Mine's a .223 - not 22-250 - and whilst respecting all posts reference brand preferences and comments about Howa quality, mine seemingly came out of the lucky bag.

The pic is three shot "group" with 50gn Norma, though it will shoot 40gn Vmax, 53gn Superformance, 55 Vmax and 50gn Sako Gamehead into 0.6 / 0.8.

I like it and feel confident with it and it fitted my budget at the time.

My ideal rifle . . . . .

If you are not tied to caliber or Time, keep your eyes on the classified section there's some nice semi custom rifles that are sensible money

And someone else has spent the money putting the right bits on it

Swagger

Archived