6.5x47 Lap Bullet choice

maltbuck

Good evening,

Currently have a 6.5x47 in build.

Specs will be 28" heavy varmint, BAT action, Ballard Low Boy type laminate stock.

Shortly about to be chambered, and I am weighing my options regarding reamers, - either way it will be a no neck turn.

My preference will be the 123gr Scenar, or the 130gr Berger VLD, just wondering if those in the know have a definite preference and the reasons for that? I presume the Scenar will be easier to keep a regular supply with.

Thank you in advance,

MB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used 123 Scenars and 130 Norma Diamonds in mine, and there's not a lot to choose between them performancewise.

However, the Scenars at 278 Euro's/1000 are considerably cheaper.

Pete

More important is what the barrel likes. The 123 Scenar is a very accommodating design whilst some barrels / chambers don't take to VLDs. Try both and see which produces smaller groups. There isn't such a large difference in BCs that you'll see much difference there unless you fancy some top-level competitive shooting at 800 yards and beyond.

I have heard from some shorter distance 6.5X47L users that the new 120gn Scenar-L is a 'cracker'.

any feedback on the 123g Amax, looking for something more frangible than the scenars

I use the 123 amax, very frangiable. Excellent deer bullet if major trauma and quick death is your thing. Reccomended to me by Chris Howard of the BDS and confirmed as deer legal in England on the advanced deer managers course by the same organisation.

use 140 SGK SPBT at the moment got some 130 SGK HPBT to try as well at the show

A Max and V max are to be phased out for the new ELD-X and ELD match but will be a while before 6.5 gets Run

I used to shoot the lapua 139 s through mine powered by elcho 17 or whatever it's called now , really worked well even at 1000 yards but had something like 34 Moa drop I think

I use the 123 amax, very frangiable. Excellent deer bullet if major trauma and quick death is your thing. Reccomended to me by Chris Howard of the BDS and confirmed as deer legal in England on the advanced deer managers course by the same organisation.

Thanks for that, exactly the sort of thing I was after. Basically my 6.5 mainly gets used at various rifle (zeroing) shoots rather than any sort of serious competition , I have noticed a few more ricochets with the scenars than other bullets so would like a more frangible projectile that will maintain the accuracy and do a decent job on Roe and fox when necessary. I have loaded some for an OCW test so will see how things go.

Thank you for all the replies.

As I thought it will be a question of the barrel telling me which of the two, i.e. 123 scenar or 130 Berger VLD, it was just the riflesmith offering me the option of having it chambered by either a reamer more suited to the VLD or one more suited to the scenar.

The good news looks to be that the 6.5x47 has multiple accurate options!

ATB,

MB

For what it's worth, and I can only say this from my own experience with my two '47's, one was specifically chambered for the Scenar and he other I don't know what reamer was used but they both allow use of both the Scenar 123 and 139 grain AND the 130 VLD.

Therefore I would suggest that if you chamber it for the Scenar you'll cover a lot of options but not the other way around.

I'm sure a few 'Smiths' on here will either support that or not.

I would like to see some documentary evidence from the home office.

The BDS do not write law.

Documented in the Deer act So is Amax Soft nose or hollow point

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/54/schedule/2

SCHEDULE 2[/size]

Prohibited firearms and ammunition

Firearms

1Any smooth-bore gun.

2Any rifle having a calibre of less than .240 inches or a muzzle energy of less than 2,305 joules (1,700 foot pounds).

PROSPECTIVE

3Any air gun, air rifle or air pistol.

Ammunition

4Any cartridge for use in a smooth-bore gun.

5Any bullet for use in a rifle other than a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet.

Offroad Gary, can you point me towards the BDS confirmation regarding the legal use of Amax on Deer. Presume they have documented guidelines?

Mike,i suggest you take 3 days off work, pay your fees's and enjoy the course like I did. I don't think its fair to distribute their material, they are a charity after all.

Interesting conundrum !

If Amax is legal for shooting deer then by definition it's 'expanding' under the 'deer act' - yes/no?

If 'yes' then it would need to be entered onto your FAC and only sold to you if you had permission to squire expanding bullets/ammunition in your FAC - yes/no??

Think this has been a subject of significant discussion before?

T

Archived