Tikka T3 .260 Semi Custom

Orka Akinse

I’d been toying with the idea of becoming a member of the semi-custom rifle club for a while. Money, never far from being a major consideration, meant the rifle I envisaged would double as both a stalker and range gun. It would need to be accurate enough to play at 1000 yards when I visit Bisley and yet portable enough to carry while stalking across the UK.

Having sought advice from some of the very experienced shooters off this site, my journey led me to Andy (Ronin). Many an hour talking and discussing/changing ideas later, we agreed on a specification and I asked him if he could make me something rather special, which wouldn’t break the bank, but be accurate, light and portable.

We discussed stock options and discounted the usual composite ones available from Mcmillan and Manners as I favoured a chassis style stock utilising AICS mags.

Andy suggested the XLR system, which I thought would be unobtainable, but there’s a company in Norway who are the European Importers.

I contacted them and ordered a XLR Element Tactical Chassis for a Tikka T3 Inlet as that was my chosen action, luckily Andy had one available. I chose a Lothar Walther 8 twist, medium profile barrel, which Andy sourced immediately.

Whilst we were waiting for the parts to arrive, Andy stripped the T3 Action down, cleaned and relubed all the parts, he also changed the trigger spring for a lighter version he has had custom made for the T3.

The barrel arrived a few weeks later and following the build of about a month or so, Andy called to say the rifle had passed proof and was off to be Ceracoated. I had chosen matt black. Which I hoped was a similar shade to the XLR Chassis.

Andy sent me a few pictures of the completed rifle which I thought was stunning, colours matched and the barrel length we agreed would be 20”, screw cut with invisible cap with the thread at M18x1mm.

It looked the part, exactly as I wanted.

Diaries meant I had a further wait of a couple of weeks before I ventured over the M4 to the dim northern wastelands and spent the best part of a day at Andy’s place, enjoying his hospitality while he fitted the scope rail that had to be re machined using 8/40 machine screws, the standard M3.4x.5 Tikka screws not being available (even from Tikka) and my scope that I had brought with me.

Andy spent time adjusting the stock for a perfect cheek weld and then setting the scope up for me. The gun just felt perfect.

The whole experience of buying your dream can be a roller coaster of a ride but with Andy’s care, attention to detail, obvious methodical approach to rifle building and expertly honed metal smithy skills, I would be delighted to recommend him to anyone who has an idea of what is required for an accurate rifle and are looking for someone to build it for them.

Since returning home, I’ve shot the rifle several times, its stunningly accurate, the trigger is superb, the build is a work of art and it turns heads on the fire point.

I’m over the moon with the build.

Andy, you’re the man!

Need pictures, never heard anyone have Andy do some work for them and not be happy, I'm not sure if he is a full time smith but I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

+ 1 from me - Andy is a gifted Amateur, with great attention to detail.

This was the 3rd one he has done for me.

Rifle%205819.jpg

Orka - Enjoy the Rifle, as I am sure you will.

ATB

+ 1 from me - Andy is a gifted Amateur, with great attention to detail.

This was the 3rd one he has done for me.

Rifle%205819.jpg

Orka - Enjoy the Rifle, as I am sure you will.

ATB

That appears to be an exceptional stalking rifle , tell us about it and post some more pics please.

What's the XLR like for weight?

Would you be comfy hauling it round for stalking and long range vermin bashing?

Looking for something for my .260 build....it'll be going in an AICS in the short term, but ultimately it's too heavy. MDT LSS looks interesting, as does the XLR.

Another "adequately accurate rifle" from my stable.

I may consider doing this full time when I retire and lose the amateur status. :)

(and there was no offence taken with the stamp either)

That appears to be an exceptional stalking rifle , tell us about it and post some more pics please.

That was a Borden Timberline CM action, the rifle chambered in 7x57 Mauser and stocked by Gary Cane.

The rifle made to customer spec.

Possibly (probably) the most aesthetically pleasing rifle ive had a hand in making to date.

If you want to find the write up do a search for Borden Timberline - Tikka 260 posted it in Oct 2014

Archived