Buying a used .22-250 advice please.

Copperjacket

I am looking at a used 22-250 which is being sold by a dealer. It will apparently come with a 1 year warranty however I really don't want to get into an endless debate in the future, I would rather try to ensure I have undertaken all necessary checks before I part with my cash.

What should I look for and check please? Can I expect that the dealer will let me use his bore scope?

All advice gratefully received.

hi dave here, ive shot a 22-250 for nearly 40 years, ask the dealer your buying it from does he know the history of it, e.g. how many rounds it shot, 250s are a high pressure round and if its had a lot of rounds through it, because if it has you would be looking to replace the barrel you didn't say what make rifle your buying and how much, the 22-250 ,s a great calibre to shoot and to load, so long as you don't shoot the barrel red hot you should expect about 1800 to 2000 rounds out of it, is it for fox or range work if its for fox, it will last you years if its for range work, my friend shot a 22-250 on the range and shot the barrel out in 2 years but if its for fox and vermin, it will last you ages also a good cleaning regime works, even if I shoot one round through mine I clean it so anyway, I hope its a great rifle keep us posted e.g loads I can help you

Hi Dave Thank you for your advice. The rifle in question is a Tikka m590. I am assured it is in good nick from a known acceptable source ( or they wouldn't have bought it in).

There is a slight issue with the quick release mount which looks Araldited.

I am hoping to get it for £400 or less if that seems reasonable?

Cj- you may well be in the area know as 'caveat emptor'-let the buyer beware-it has to be 'fit for purpose' but good luck on that....

....depends a little on your relationshipe with the dealer- a 'warranty'? -on a £400 used 22/250- it may be a sizeable amount to you-been there!-but you need to see it in perspective-a bore scope look would be nice-unlikely to be pristine,but you never know-barrel life is not unlimited...but rifles remain 'useable' even when not perfect-and you don't need sub 1/2 moa,not that many rifles deliver that! If at all possible,have a few test shots-it's just got to be worth the ammo costs.

As you say,for you it needs to be OK, Tikkas are fine-but there really is no way of knowing,other than test firing-good luck,and I hope the dealer has enough confidence in his source not to risk your cash,and let you check it out!

gbal

At the money, if its mechanically sound and the bore looks OK, and it shoots alright, if you get a year or two out of it, and have to rebarrel, I wouldn't be too worried.

As for the araldited QD mount - micro blow torch and force. As you apply heat and force, epoxy will give up.

I am looking at a used 22-250 which is being sold by a dealer. It will apparently come with a 1 year warranty however I really don't want to get into an endless debate in the future, I would rather try to ensure I have undertaken all necessary checks before I part with my cash.

What should I look for and check please? Can I expect that the dealer will let me use his bore scope?

All advice gratefully received.

If you cant try it don't buy it , every used rifle I`ve ever bought has had problems , for a few hundred quid more you could have a new T3.

Hi.£400 is a ball park figure for a shot out 22.250 i.e action/stock for rebarrelling so the price quoted is very reasonable.Why not test fire and if the group of 5 is tight then you should have a fox rifle that should last a fair while.590's are sought after for rebarelling.By the way a great flat calibre for fox-if reloading try 55 grain heads Lapua brass over 36.5 grains of Varget powder.not a hot load that should preserve a bit on barrel wear.Always start low and work up to my suggested figure as not all chambers are the same!If a bore scope is available then that should tell you what you want to know.Richard.

If you cant try it don't buy it , every used rifle I`ve ever bought has had problems , for a few hundred quid more you could have a new T3.

I'd suggest you've been unlucky - While I can see some logic behind the old argument that 'The only reason people move a gun on is that there is something wrong with it'.....it really doesn't hold that much water these days. People's tastes change with the wind, there's always something new or better to try. Add to that space constraints, people giving their tickets up, financial cicrcumstances, etc......there's loads of good second hand rifles out there. I just picked up a second hand .260rem.....proofed in 2007 and looking at its general condition, the lack of wear on the bolt and the absolutely mint bore, it'd be lucky if it had done 100 rounds.....and it shoots great. And it cost 400 quid.....with a set of dies.

Oh, and my .308 Remington cost me 70 quid. Built in 1984.....obviously done a few miles, but it shoots and functions flawlessly.

These days with borescopes it an easy way to see if the barrel has been well used by somebody who knows what their on about.so many rifles are bought new that see little use before they are put up for sell.it does help your choice if someone you know selling.also been said for a few hundred quid more buy new.ive had 2 second hand rifles.the rest have been new.maybe 7.not sure if I would buy another second hand now.

The "araldite"thing doesn,t sit well with me for a start,,,,,,,If you can get a stony point tool and a modified case from the dealer test a suitable bullet up the bore,,,if it presents with plenty in the case neck then maybe you will be ok ,,,,if it leaves nothing or very little in the case,,,,walk away its probably shot out....good luck anyways.

Archived