UKBRA 600 Yard Round 6 - 7th Feb 2016

mole-e30

UKBRA 600 yard Benchrest Competition Sunday 7 February

Winter at Diggle, 08:30 and no rain! Well that’s unusual, however, it was cold! Opening the car door you were hit with an icy blast, the wind chill factor making it feel much colder than its indicated 2.5degrees.

Thirty four hardy (or is that crazy) souls turned up for this the 6th shoot of the year (5th actually taking place as one had been cancelled). We had pensioners a-plenty, middle-age and 2 youngest, welcome to Dylan (Grandson of Martin Miles) for his first shoot.

Looking at the conditions would this be a day for the heavy calibres, time will tell?

Today it was the Heavy Guns and Factory Sporters to go first. Vince marshalled the troop (as the Americans would say “it’s like herding cats”) and we got the first shot down the range by 10:30 plus/minus a few minutes. No major problems sighting in but it was soon obvious that there was not only a strong right to left cross range wind but it was gusting viciously – for once the weather forecast was right. Very few of those shooting in the morning were treated to just one marking disc when the targets displayed the results. This was not going to be a morning of breaking records.

By about 12:15 we’d all finished and off for lunch and heat in the clubhouse. Whilst the aggregates did not show particularly small numbers, there were a few who were smiling with reasonably small individual groups, namely Gary Wrighton, Darrel Evans and Emily Lenton. Poor Don Burrows not really the day for 58gr .223 bullets, they were struggling to arrive with any consistency.

Final aggregates saw Darrel Evans win Factory Sporter and get sufficient money to buy petrol and get back to Wales, he was followed by Alan Seagrave and Toni Young.

In Heavy Gun Emily Lenton kept her cool and produce a couple of outstanding groups, considering the conditions, to allow her to wup the old guys, she was followed by Mary Marsden and Gary Wrighton who shot the smallest group of any during the whole day. In the car home Emily even explained how she had been watching the windflags, maybe next time she can share her knowledge.

Because I was watching over Emily I was also “privileged” to shoot my light gun in the morning, so by lunchtime I was leading light gun (yes first out of one) – but would it last?

Results for Factory Sporter:

Ist Darrel Evans 6.128”

2nd Alan Seagrave 8.761”

3rd Toni young 9.349”

Small Group – Darrel Evans – 3.152”

Results for Heavy Gun:

Ist Emily Lenton – 5.581”

2nd Mary Marsden – 7.072”

3rd Gary Wrighton – 7.072”

Small Group – Gary Wrighton – 2.589”

After lunch the wind decided to give the afternoon shooters, all Light Gun, a bit more fun, it was getting even windier with ferocious gusts.

As the targets starting arriving back at the club house for marking it was becoming clear that some were struggling to keep it on the paper, competent marksmen were having great groups sub 4” then in the next struggling to keep it on the paper and some taking penalties. I was happy I was cocooned in the clubhouse marking targets, but my lunchtime lead had disappeared – thanks Luke.

As the end approached Diggle resorted to its norm and the rain came, clearly this did not help – was this the start of Imogen, not a Danish model but the pending storm.

Light gun was finally won by Luke Wadsworth with a cracking agg. and the small group too, followed by Jeanette Whitney then Bruce Lenton, I was ultimately pushed back to fourth place.

Well done to Dylan, who had two good groups in the very adverse conditions, Martin you better keep looking over your shoulder!

Results for Light Gun:

Ist Luke Wadsworth – 4.721”

2nd Jeanette Whitney – 5.197”

3rd Bruce Lenton – 5.388”

Small Group – Luke Wadsworth – 2.947”.

Was it the day for heavy calibres – well yes and no - with the exception of Luke shooting his new straight .284 three out of the top four were still 6BR’s. Make of it what you will!

Next shoot is Sunday 28th Feb, this will be the last of the season, and our score-master tells me that whilst two places are sewn up, not saying which, the rest it’s all to play for so let’s have another good turn-out.

Reminder: after prizing giving at the next shoot the UKBRA will be having a meeting to discuss two important topics left over from the AGM – (i) 1000 yards Heavy Gun course of fire and (ii) the ongoing definition of “Factory Sporter for 600 and 100 yards competitions. All are encouraged to stay have your say. Tell your “better halves” you may be late home!

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Results

7th Feb 2016

https://www.dropbox.com/s/phcr858bmhu8kv9/UKBRA%20600BR%207th%20February%202016.pdf?dl=0

2nd Jan 2016

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3p1qr6verumi7x/UKBRA%20600BR%202nd%20January%202016.pdf?dl=0

27th Dec 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i2egrfqsi1p0ig/UKBRA%20600BR%2027th%20December%202015.pdf?dl=0

6th Dec 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upe3o9ee5wh1df5/UKBRA%20600BR%206th%20December%202015.pdf?dl=0

4th Oct 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dzszd20cwgrcao/UKBRA%20600BR%204th%20October%202015.pdf?dl=0

2015-16 League

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui7ii7stdlnvu05/UKBRA%20600BR%202015-16%20League.pdf?dl=0

I think that we were very brave to shoot in the conditions ,

Very challenging to say the least

Darrel

I think you where very brave to shoot in them boots you where wearing :D hope you have bought some new ones with your winnings

Barry, I love taking money off s Yorkshire man, I don't know about boots but I have got some nice wellies ,,

In coming

Steady on we all know what you will be using them for coming from the Valleys that is

Sunday dispelled a few myths about benchrest - for those who thought it was just sitting at a bench, under-cover and loosing off a few rounds.

Like humpin' half a cwt of gear over rough ground in cold, wet, windy conditions, staggering up to butts and back and getting soaked in the process. Oh - and bump-starting the soddin' pick-up.

BUT - what a great bunch of guys and gals - plenty of good banter and not a single whinge did I hear - proud to shoot with you lot!

Thanks to everyone who turned out, mucked-in and made it a great day's shooting.

Sunday dispelled a few myths about benchrest - for those who thought it was just sitting at a bench, under-cover and loosing off a few rounds.Like humpin' half a cwt of gear over rough ground in cold, wet, windy conditions, staggering up to butts and back and getting soaked in the process. Oh - and bump-starting the soddin' pick-up.BUT - what a great bunch of guys and gals - plenty of good banter and not a single whinge did I hear - proud to shoot with you lot!Thanks to everyone who turned out, mucked-in and made it a great day's shooting.

vince it's always good to come to the Diggle, it's the like mineded people that make the best of some bloody horrible weather a pleasure to shoot with. At least we have got the summer months to look forward to,

100yrd bench rest is just around the corner.

Sunday dispelled a few myths about benchrest - for those who thought it was just sitting at a bench, under-cover and loosing off a few rounds.

Like humpin' half a cwt of gear over rough ground in cold, wet, windy conditions, staggering up to butts and back and getting soaked in the process. Oh - and bump-starting the soddin' pick-up.

BUT - what a great bunch of guys and gals - plenty of good banter and not a single whinge did I hear - proud to shoot with you lot!

Thanks to everyone who turned out, mucked-in and made it a great day's shooting.

I bet you did the driving and not the pushing if I know you :P

I bet you did the driving and not the pushing if I know you :P

I wasn't there last weekend but I do believe that Vince has actually visited the butts once during 2015 but did use Satnav apparently and got lost!

Just a rumour going around but he plans to do the same this year. Watch this space for photographic evidence of the Second Coming :):D

Vince i was whinging but as usual no one took any notice

yes it was a good day despite the weather- if it wasnt for everyone prepared to have a laugh and a joke and make the best of the day and maybe win a few marbles it would keep many sat in front of the fire-

and if anyone has a spare left boot size 10 please contact Darrel[foxing tonight] ;)

I don't know what bullets Luke was using but I would guess 180gn but, knowing Luke, it could be any make.What is currently classed as Factory Sporter? Any 'out of the box' mass-produced factory rifle.

HI GP.sporter as is a sporting barrel.thin barrel as appossed to a standard heavy varmint barrel eg tikka varmint.

NO - any 'out of the box' rifle qualifies for Factory Sporter. Nothing to do with barrel profiles.

Savages are most popular but we get Remmys, Tikkas, AIs - one of the new Rugers would qualify or maybe your Barrett in 6.5 Creedmore or 338.

Quiz time question.

Who is the stranger on the right on the attached photo of Diggle butts.

A. Lord Lucan.

B. Elvis.

C. Jesus H. Christ.

D. Vince Bottomley (a.k.a. The Gun Pimp).

Answers on a postcard to:-

Yes Pigs Fly Competition.

The Club Secretary.

Diggle Rifle Ranges.

Diggle.

Nr Oldham.

Hell, you might have chosen a pic of a more typical sunny warm day, Les! It hardly ever (ever, ever) rains or is cold at Diggle. So far as the three individuals ..... I don't recognise the two big upright ones, but the small one in the middle is definitely The Gun Pimp.

Archived