.22lr

Furyan

Hi after some advise on which .22lr to buy ?, First one i had was a plain 1022 which did nothing but jam every third shot sold that for CZ425 American.

now i am looking for new .22 but which would you recommend ie the cz455 or a 1022 tuned up = rimfire magic ?.

How well does the CZ455 shoot or is it worth tuning or buying a fully custom built up 1022,

Many thanks Furyan

Your tricked-up 10-22 will eventually jam just as easily as a bog standard one if you don't maintain it. The pro pest guys round here that used them said they stripped them every second brick and got the gunk fully out. A bolt action is relatively maintenance-free by comparison.

If you want bling and firepower, buy a fancy 10-22. If you want accuracy and reliability, buy a bolt gun.

I have a CZ 455, and I have had a 10-22 custom built by Rimfire Magic (mine had a Green Mountain match barrel on it). I would say the 455 with its factory barrel is more accurate than the 10-22 was. It is also a lot more reliable.

My experience with .22 semi-autos has been that they all need cleaning a lot to work, especially if you are going to shoot subsonics through them. I am not particularly keen on the 10-22 in any case, and would not have another (nothing to do with Rimfire Magic, I should say). I certainly would never have another .22rf semi with a match chamber - there is no room for even the slightest amount of muck. I also do not like the idiosyncratic placement of most of the controls on the 10-22 or the fiddliness of the standard controls. Nor did I particularly like the fact that an unfired round would often remain stuck in the chamber and have to be fired to remove it.

I have a military-style Sig 522 for my semi-auto .22 now, which is as reliable a .22 semi as I have ever experienced, and is pretty accurate too, given the slightly Glocky boingy trigger pull. I also have a CZ 455 which has been discussed elsewhere - have changed the stock and breathed on the trigger, and its very accurate with ammo it likes. I wouldn't bother with a 10-22, out of the choices you have given.

I'd go for a CZ they are a basic rifle nothing fancy but they are very relable and very accurate. I've got the short barrelled varmint one and it's a great gun for either vermin shooting or just spending a few hours plinking with using Eley subs.

They need very little maintenance, I'm not proud of the fact but I've had mine for over 5 years now and it's never been cleaned!

Fury an,

Unless you have a specific need for a semi-auto I'd not bother with the 10/22, I've been down that route a couple of times, yes they can be accurate, yes they can be sorted to be more reliable but there are better IMHO 22lr semi platforms now. Caveat not saying the '10-22' is poor. Just that a good 10-22 is no longer a 10-22 by Ruger. :)

The CZ can be had in a useful array of configurations and the only 'tweak' is the trigger which is a home job for not a lot of money. They are, once you find the ammo they like, a very accurate rifle. We hold a 100m for scope comp. and the do very well.

If you want a 'man sized' version buy the best action barrel combination in any factory stock and replace with the Boyds stock (as per Bushdog's) and you have everything you need.

Terry

Depends do you want /need a semi auto I got one cause i have a bolt 17HMR covers long range rimfire stuff and a semi gives me other options as a closer range gun fully silenced on Subs and fast Fire

the main advantage the 10/22 has over most other semis is there are Hundreds of aftermarket parts and stocks you can just drop on

you do need to play with and MOd a 10/22 to get it a lot better than factory But a fair bit can be done for free or very little if you spend some time on it

without a lot of cash a bolt gun will beat it at longer range but do you want to kill rabbits at 100yrds or hit a thumbnail bullseye every time

you either get rimfire magic or the KIDD importers to build you a total Non ruger job

or

Buy as cheap as you can old worn 10/22 and throw most away and replace with upgrades or modify as and when you can

I got an old dog (1991 ) that had been raced so had a few mods any way for cheap and sorted the rest to my liking does exactly what I want it to do understanding its limitations.

runs like a sewing machine hada good degunge after i got ti and have put a few 1000 thru it now and never misses a beat will give it a summer bath maybe

Thanks FGYT, I have the chance of a 1022 its £300 so not sure if thats a cheep one or not it has 3 10 shot mags ,basic wood stock, suppose i could build one off that and get a cz455 for the longer stuff.

I have two slots on my ticket for .22.

Ruger 1022's straight out of the box are well over rated! You have to spend the same amount again to get it where you want it.

CZ 452's are great guns, and if the triggers are not to your liking, £10 or £15 sorts that out. Although, if bought new i'd leave it as is for a while until the whole gun beds in a bit.

Had several of both the above guns. Although can't comment on the CZ 455 as never owned or shot one. But being a CZ rimfire they should be good. Never heard a bad word about them either...

Good Luck.

The CZ455 has the bonus of interchangeable barrels - .22lr, .17HMR and .22 WMag - although you could probably pick up a used rifle in any of the calibres for the cost of a barrel! ;)

If you use something like CCI Std through a 455, you'll have a good plinking gun, but it really needs something a little better in the ammunition box - SK Standard Plus gives excellent accuracy, and will give good results for hunting or [non-competitive] target shooting. Better ammunition generally produces better results, but it will never be a Bleiker! :lol:

Archived