Firing Pin

DL.

I am the proud owner of a Tikka M695, really like the rifle, and want to use it well into the future, the only potential issue being spare parts.

I placed an order with a well known distributor/importer for a spare replacement firing pin.

They needed a faxed copy of my FAC before they would authorise the order.

I questioned this, all be it willing to oblige, however I maintained that as firing pins are not pressure bearing parts they shouldn't need to be subject to FAC authority.

The response was the police had requested that they check customers FACs before they sell firing pins.

What is the consensus? I don't particularly mind either way, but thought it to be a bit officious.

I'm not condoning people breaking the law, I don't however think there is a legal requirement to see an FAC before purchase, and am against any encumbrance of lawful firearms holders going about their business.

Do the guidlines allow an 'overarching concern for public safety' to come into play ?

Seems sensible really,if they do.

Mr C's point seems to underline this possibility,quite specifically.....though you will have the rifle on FAC?

If the firing pin is not broken.....well,what 'should' be done?

As Mark implies,we live in complex times.....

gbal

I got one for my M595 from the importer through my local gun shop. I rang the importer first to discuss how it was sold as I only wanted the pin, and they called it an "assy".

As it turned out, Tikka only supply the "assy", which includes almost everything apart from the bolt body, for £60.

No-one asked to see my FAC............

H/Man

Archived