Ruger RPR 6.5CM

David Hancock

Probably easier finding a unicorn?

It's getting easier. For a time only two of us had RPRs in my county but there are a few others now who have delivery pending this week. In the next town -about 90 miles south- there are now a dozen RPR shooters at the local gun club from what I hear.

I had my 308 out in the rain, wind, and snow at 800 yards yesterday shooting an 18"x18" steel plate. Very satisfying.~Andrew

Do you handload for it? And if so, have you tried the Sierra Match Kings? My buddy swears by them. After giving the Amax a long trial he has switched to the GK's from now on.~Andrew

Hi , don't suppose you know which weight match kings he swears by?

Hi , don't suppose you know which weight match kings he swears by?

The 142 grain MK's. When he can't get them he uses 140's. While I was spattering that 18x18 plate with my 168 AMAX 308s in the wind, he was tattooing the center using the 142's from his 6.5CM.

Yes. High priced stuff. Sierra took a 20% increase this past year which puts them within a few bucks of Berger's long range hybrids -here at least. Crazy.~Andrew

Cheers, I've already gone with the 139gr scenar but thought I'd ask , the lapua prices got better as sierra went up over here so a no brainer

But even if we have to pay through the nose better shooting expensive than not shooting at all.

I am a bottom feeder these days. I buy A-Max 168's** or the Hornady 168 Match (a MK clone) because they are inexpensive. They are accurate, especially the latter, but not quite as accurate as the Sierra versions. I should do with less but buying these lets me shoot more. Likewise, a long while back I switched from Varget to IMR 4064 because Varget was $38 US/LB and IMR 4064 was $24.50/lb and delivers equal accuracy at higher speeds.

The hard truth is that I can send a 36-cent bullet just as far off, or on, target as a 25 cent bullet. The only thing that seems to improve my shooting is more shooting. I get 50% more components by sacrificing a 1/4" of grouping ability and it's paying larger dividends down range.~Andrew

(** You know, the ones that melt going down range? that I have 1200 of??? <_< )

Archived