Muzzle brake peel washers

One of those infuriating things for many when buying a muzzle brake etc is correct timing.

With the ARs for example, a common practise is to use a crush or peel washer.

The peel washer is more satisfactory though for many reasons.

As with many of these things, they are usually only available from America, and is very few sizes.

Seeing as I use a lot of these, I felt it time I had some made here in the UK (one more self sufficient item for the UK market)

To start off with I have gone for 2 of my most popular sizes, 1/2" and 5/8"

Both are .750"od and have IDs of .505" and .630" respectively.

Material is A2 Stainless.

As you can see from the pic they are made up of a series of laminated shims, each .002" thick and come as supplied with a total thickness of .040", so will cover at least 1 complete revolution of any thread pitch.

This means that the layman can now purchase and fit his own muzzle devices without having to revert to a smith for lathe timing

All you have to do it catch the edge with a knife and peel off the layers

Depending on application and demand I can get other sizes made.

Thoughts please

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-19%20at%2012.41.

Bradders-please explain to me[and a few others] who are slightly ignorant when it comes to the working of a brake-the technical side-and the timing of one-

thanks Gary

Hi Mark, As posted above, great idea for correcting timing without resorting to very expensive machining time/ set up. Time to get my Mitutoyos out and see what sizes I need… Just how fine/thin can you peel them down to without shagging them??

Cheers. JP.

Hi Mark, As posted above, great idea for correcting timing without resorting to very expensive machining time/ set up. Time to get my Mitutoyos out and see what sizes I need… Just how fine/thin can you peel them down to without shagging them??

Cheers. JP.

.002"

Cheers. JP.

.002"

Bradders-please explain to me[and a few others] who are slightly ignorant when it comes to the working of a brake-the technical side-and the timing of one-

thanks Gary

Gary,

Timing a brake is just to ensure that all the ports are perpendicular (I hope that's the right word), i.e. that the side ports come out at 90 deg and any holes in the top are exactly at the 12 o'clock position, as no one likes a brake that's off centre (pissed)

Hope that helps

Very useful Mark - but I'm usually looking at a 0.75in internal diameter. Are these available from stock?

Vince,

As I'm sure you can imagine there are so many variables with internal and external diameters that it's hard to plan this out.

These are the first ones and I have already had a couple of enquiries for M18.

I can have them made in any diameters and thicknesses in laminates of .002", but would need to know quantities.

Manufacture is around 1 month

Mark

I'd be saying 18x1 too.

(what happens to these when you repetitively take a brake off to swap over for a suppressor and back again?)

There ones I always used were aluminium (or aluminium according to the Yanks) and they don't wear as such.

These are A2 stainless so tougher, and I don't see any issues, or delaminating problems.

If any problems were to occur then you get the Bradders guarantee.....I'll replace them

:-)

As for M18, what OD would we be looking at?

Archived