17HMR AMMO

It is to my understanding that all the HMR ammo is all made i the same place.

So you would think that all components (case,powder,head) would all be the same apart from the nylon inserts on the tips on the ballistic tip rounds.(17grn)

Same wieght but just a different colour.

So why is it that they all give the same results when I have done tests using 3 different rifles?

The ammo I have tried has been -REMINGTON-CCI-FEDERAL-WINCHESTER AND HORNADY.

The REM and CCI gave a 1- 11/2" group,the winchester a little tighter , but the Federal and Hornady both did half to three quarter groups.

Has any body found the same and any body got any idea why this may be?

Possibly,

Tighter quality control to protect the brand name?

What is acceptable parameters to one manufacture may not be to another.

Emphasis on QC is rotated, otherwise folks would simply buy one brand over another instead of chasing what ammo they read about on the Net. It is so silly to see 4 "different" brands of 17HMR on the shelf, at different prices, knowing that the ammo is identical except for QC. It is a crap-shoot to find what shoots. If you have an accurate LOT# buy it. Next lot of that brand may not be nearly as accurate.

When a buddy and I were testing barrels for Green Mountain we would buy up 17HMR ammo randomly from the stores as well as order brick-lots from distributors. In one instance a box of CCI "TNT" HP from a local store shot bug-hole groups and blew ground-squirrels to ribbons. The exact same ammo from a different source (and Lot) shot miserably and would shoot through a 4 ounce gopher without doing much damage. I still have the better part of a brick of Hornady 17 grain V-Max from those tests that is both inaccurate, and won't expand.

In the end, I have retired all three of my 17HMR's in favor of the 22WMR. Much more consistent all around. ~Andrew

Thanks Andrew for you imput, as you do so much testing of these things for companies over in the States you must see all manor of problems.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andrew You mentioned the Shot Show, 3 of us have been invited to the show in Florida next year and we are looking forward to it.

We understand that it is a trade show but am wondering do exihbitors sell products at the show?

No. No goods are physically transfered at the show. You can place orders and perhaps pick up non-firearm/ammunition/component items at an off-show site, but there is no merchandise transfer allowed. How are you getting in? (Under what category?) There is a good chance that Marine PMI and I will be wandering around there. ~Andrew

a good friend of mine is going to be there exhibiting Titainium Sound Mods and we have been given trade passes from him .

Hope to meet up with you anything you need brought over ?

Archived