Police interview.... and not the good kind

It will be fascinating to learn quite how and why your act of lawfully acquiring a moderator under the authorisation of your FAC has caused them such concern. In law, what you have done is absolutely no different from the members on here that do their own rebarrelling work.

I'm inclined to agree that you should take along both the BASC and a friendly lawyer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In preparing you interview have a look at this and take your pick. Applies to Police Staff as well as officers.

http://www.scotland.police.uk/assets/pdf/recruitment/184188/standardsofprofessionalbehaviour?view=Standard

In relation to recording, from experience it is better to announce that you are recording the interview rather than covertly. I knows it's obvious but expect to be cautioned and have a plan of action if this occurs. I have seen several people in interviews who have been ambushed and make inappropriate responses to the question without thinking because they have not been prepared. It may be handy to have the appropriate pages in the Manual of Guidance marked so you can find them. ( I learned this the hard way!)

I suspect the letter is a standard interview request to enable them to conduct an investigative interview. If there were any serious concerns they would have used the model I have used in an earlier post and probably chipped up and removed you rifles. The law is somewhat different in Scotland in relation to cautions and procedure and it would be best to check with a solicitor who practices in Scotland.

I suspect the letter is a standard interview request to enable them to conduct an investigative interview.

That makes sense now that you point it out. I think historically Glasgow have been more bullish than the other FL departments in Scotland.

It's a bit much to infer that because an FAC holder manufactured their own moderator they are all of a sudden an unsuitable person.

A bit more thought on the approach to this issue (if there is one) wouldn't have taken much effort from the licensing department, and checking their facts first with a higher authority would be the least you could have expected.

In light of recent events I suspect theres a brief gone around the Forces along the lines of " be vigilant for home made firearms " some plonker has read it and totally misunderstood it and is now harassing the OP.

On my last visit to one of my local dealers a few weeks ago he told me that he had just had a conversation with a couple of the local police.

They had told him that Police Scotland now have a policy to reduce the number of firearms certificates in Scotland by a signifigant amount.

By which means they plan to do this I don't know. I told him I didn't believe him and he again said that was what he was told.

On my last visit to one of my local dealers a few weeks ago he told me that he had just had a conversation with a couple of the local police.

They had told him that Police Scotland now have a policy to reduce the number of firearms certificates in Scotland by a signifigant amount.

By which means they plan to do this I don't know. I told him I didn't believe him and he again said that was what he was told.

If they intend to go ahead with airgun licensing in April, they're going about it in a strange way.

If they are planning that then they are overstepping their authority. It's not for them to do that, only an elected government can choose to do such a thing and they haven't otherwise it would have been made public by law.

There has always been an unstated policy to try reduce the number of FAC and SGC holders in Scotland.

With the current budget cuts and the upcoming air rifle legislation, they're going to try even harder to get people to give up their certificates.

Having said that, their resources are so stretched they are not in a position to get into lots of appeals against their decisions, so as long as you can clearly show you are meeting the requirements of the HO Guidelines then I don't think you have much tom worry about.

Cheers

Bruce

In French street, it's the night shift office staff that is helping with the paperwork - the daily staff that deals with variations etc are overwhelmed still. I foresee it being a quick straight forward talk just to tie up the ends......

In French street, it's the night shift office staff that is helping with the paperwork - the daily staff that deals with variations etc are overwhelmed still. I foresee it being a quick straight forward talk just to tie up the ends......

Interesting you say they are overwhelmed......plenty of the guys I shoot with say they can hand a variation in and get told to sit and wait for it. Apparently a tin of biscuits goes a long way too. Sadly I'm in another part of the country with another region....with their own peculiarities.

There's no excuse for trying to sort out an admin miscomprehension by being aggressive and saying that an FAC holder may be displaying characteristics that make him unsuitable to hold firearms.

This is the poor customer service that BASC said would have to stop in order to raise firearms licensing fees.

I made my own mod for my .243 bout 8 years ago, rand police firearms (wilts) and advised them i was filling slot on my ticket with it, not bothered one iota, have told me I need to get it destroyed now it needs to come off (rotted ali). Sounds like they are not ofay with the law!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok gentlemen, i have just come back from my interview with Police Scotland. After half an hour or so of deloberating their view was they weren't so worried about about the the singular moderator, but more concerned that i had made more than one and this therefore would mean a serious offence (Section 3 i believe). As i have only made the 1 there was no real issue (the shock :o ).

The next problem they had was that i am now a person on their records that has the capabilities to make controlled items - be it moderators or components. As a result they suggested - although not directly - that if i wish to make this kind of thing on a commercial level that i should become an RFD.

Reading between the lines this means anything i decide to do in the future is regulated and not just "Some guy a ken makin guns nd that in his shed' they also said it could open up more opportunities in regards to manufacturing and smithing. This would play in both our favours as i can carry on with what i am doing and also expand one of my current machining companies to accommodate and in return they have another capable person on their accountable list.

Im happy with this outcome as becoming an RFD has been on my radar for a while now. Since making this moderator i realised it's well within my capabilities as a machinist and designer to progress into a building full rifles.

Thank you to all that chimed in with advice and experience (Y)

Watch this space!!

Geordie

Bit odd really, because the law on this is crystal clear. Make somethng under the authorisation of your FAC - OK; make something commercially - become an RFD. Why did it need a meeting to tell you that?

That said, if you have aspirations to become an RFD anyway, then it is clear that they would be content and good luck to you.

Bit odd really, because the law on this is crystal clear. Make somethng under the authorisation of your FAC - OK; make something commercially - become an RFD. Why did it need a meeting to tell you that?

That said, if you have aspirations to become an RFD anyway, then it is clear that they would be content and good luck to you.

Yeh they could have done it over text message in all honesty! Both police in the interview were aright guys! I was expecting tweed suits, moustaches, and both smoking fags in a dark room with a "mirror" :lol:

Wow, going from question your suitability to hold firearms to suggesting perhaps if you want to do this kind of stuff being an RFD might be a good idea....

Can't complain there. Glad it worked out!

where's the "like" button :-)

Archived