Police interview.... and not the good kind

So today i got call a call form my local constabulary regarding the details of one of the sound moderators for my firearms i.e where i got it and who i bought it from as i never stated it it my letter of acquisition. As some on you may know. i built a custom mod a while back for said rifle: hence the reason for this.

Upon telling "Lynda" that the moderator was actually built by myself and wasn't purchased she then asked me hold while she consulted her superiors as she said, and i quote "We have never had this before" Upon coming back to the phone Lynda proceeded to tell me that her superiors were "Very unhappy" a the act i had committed and wish to call me in for meeting. She also told me in the mean time i had to give the moderator to my local RFD to check out.

I spoke to Bryan at Glasgow Field Sports to ask his advice on the situation, he suggested that i call Alex Dalgleish "Alex Dalgleish Gun and Rifle Maker" who is a local gun smith who isn't based far from me. I called Alex and he was super helpful with regards to advice and is willing to write a letter of commendation regarding the moderator when it comes to the police interview.

Il keep you posted on how this pans out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a weird one.

My knee-jerk reaction is that the people you're dealing with are stepping a long way out of their lane.

(For example an RFD's opinion is utterly irrelevant, he's just as joe public as you).

Personally, I wouldn't even consider going in for an interview.

If they think an offence has been committed, let them come to you and arrest you. If not, then there's no conversation to be had.

Be interested to hear other reactions.

Wow, that's a weird one.

My knee-jerk reaction is that the people you're dealing with are stepping a long way out of their lane.

(For example an RFD's opinion is utterly irrelevant, he's just as joe public as you).

If they think an offence has been committed, let them come to you and arrest you. If not, then there's no conversation to be had.

Absolutely! Being self employed should i invoice them for loss of earnings? ;)

It would be interesting to know what exactly they thought you'd done wrong, given that you had acquired (by making), and were in possession of, a moderator which you had authority to acquire and possess.

Beyond that, it is hard to see what the FLD has to do with the matter, let alone what they might be 'very unhappy' about - far less why they thought you should surrender the mod to a RFD.

Are you a member of SACS/BASC or similar? If so, I would be inclined to contact them and seek their advice before saying anything significant to the police, let alone going for 'an interview'.

It would be interesting to know what exactly they thought you'd done wrong, given that you had acquired (by making), and were in possession of, a moderator which you had authority to acquire and possess.

Beyond that, it is hard to see what the FLD has to do with the matter, let alone what they might be 'very unhappy' about - far less why they thought you should surrender the mod to a RFD.

Are you a member of SACS/BASC or similar? If so, I would be inclined to contact them and seek their advice before saying anything significant to the police, let alone going for 'an interview'.

I am indeed, i'm currently with BASC. That's a good shout il give the guys a call tomorrow and see what they suggest.

don't put names/makes of moderators on your licence

I didn't, hence the reason they called me for the details as there wasn't any.

I am indeed, i'm currently with BASC. That's a good shout il give the guys a call tomorrow and see what they suggest.

I didn't, hence the reason they called me for the details as there wasn't any.

Oddly, my force(Dundee, rather than you weegies ;)) deliberately left off any details on my moderator. Recorded on my ticket by my RFD fully detailed, make, model, calibre, serial, and Dundee re-issue the ticket with 'FULL BORE SOUND MODERATOR, SERIAL UNKNOWN', and that's it. Dundee seem to have the right idea, 'its just a moderator, you can use it on whatever rifle you like if it fits and is safe'

I have other moderators on my cert already for other rifles. Off the top of my head i have a SAK mod for my .22 and thats all the information it states "SAK". Im not sure indeed where their concern comes from, whether it's a safety issue? or that they think for the fact i can do it I'm going to run my own black market stall out of my flat in east Glasgow.. I couldn't possibly manufacture them fast enough for the ISIS demand....

good evening,perhaps as a moderator is classed as a firearm in the eyes of the law hence the need for it to be added to your fac ,the firearms dept think you have made a fire arm <which in their eyes you have?> and you are not a rfd you may be on sticky ground GOOD LUCK.

good evening,perhaps as a moderator is classed as a firearm in the eyes of the law hence the need for it to be added to your fac ,the firearms dept think you have made a fire arm <which in their eyes you have?> and you are not a rfd you may be on sticky ground GOOD LUCK.

As i already have permission to own the moderator i am not breaking any laws buy owning one! The manufacturing side doesn't come into it. A mod isn't classed at a firearm until it is fitted to the rifle then it is is illegal if you do not have the right to posses.

Same force that are supposidly hassling RFD's to mark ALL loose bullets on ticket, not just expanding.....

Hunter, with respect, I would seriously advise speak with Mike Eveleigh at BASC ASAP.

"don't put names/makes of moderators on your licence" Sorry Kimh, sometimes one does not have that choice,

My ESSEX FEO put the names on my moderators on my ticket upon checking for renewal and asked for serial numbers..

I find the whole issue over moderators a total total waste of time. There is no illegal intent from ticket holders. How many would be criminals are going to apply for a mod before they turn over the nearest Post Office !!!!!

I would call BASC in the morning for some advice, and if you go In to speak to them, see if a representative from BASC will join you during your visit.

Wow, that's a weird one.

2nd that

I wonder, does BASC keep a record and report these type of things to a higher level of government?

The consistency of enforcement of the firearms act is shocking when you compare departments around the country.

My instinct would be to refuse and as other have said put the onus on the police to take the next step, the problem of course is they might come and take everything. Even if this was only for a while the hassle would be terrible, equally I would imagine every dept has its black list of difficult license holders and I do wonder if they get the same level of efficient service as the ones who are not on the 'difficult fac holder radar'

Either way, Im glad Im with Northumbria.

Big Al - to answer your point. BASC are a client of mine, and yes, the Firearms team does note situations where respective regional firearms teams fall below requisite standards and to a higher level.

There are - in my personal experience - superb in bringing both rational common sense to the fore in resolving "issues", and expediting renewal processes.

Whatever the rights and wrongs are please take my advice.

Record every phone call.

Video any meetings you have with them and record as well.

You will be amazed how they change when you are recording them.

They change from being Brownshirts to Mother Teresa

Ok,just off the phone to BASC and spoken with Dr Shedden (Forwarded on by Mike Eveleigh as he only covers England and Wales) He - like the rest of us - isn't sure what to make of the situations and is going to consult their fiirearms unit at headquarters. He also said he would like to be present for the interview and i'v to keep him up to-date as to when the interview will be heald.

Whatever the rights and wrongs are please take my advice.

Record every phone call.

Video any meetings you have with them and record as well.

You will be amazed how they change when you are recording them.

They change from being Brownshirts to Mother Teresa

I shall!

If you had the relevant authority to own the item before hand, manufactured said item, and then informed them, I can't see what you possibly could have done wrong. Your biggest problem seems to be that you have to deal with Glasgow. I'm fed up hearing on forums/Facebook etc. that "Glasgow don't like that/Glasgow don't do it like that etc." A friend in Aberdeen was recently told that he has to make sure he's using his Long Barrel Pistol and Revolver because, "Glasgow don't like them". Police Scotland is a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

Hi......don't know if it's the same north of the border but down here you are not entitled to free legal advice (soilcitor) if interviewed at home, however if you attend at the police station voluntarily you are still entitled to free independent legal advice.

I'm sure if you turn up with a BASC representative and arrange before hand (through the police) for an independent legal advisor to be present for any voluntary chat, then you will be taken very seriously indeed.

Good luck.

Regards, Rob.

Archived