Schmidt & Bender PM 1 ?

Strangely Brown

I may have the opportunity of obtaining a S&B 3-12x50 PM 1 scope.

As yet unseen but I wondered if anybody on this forum has owned one in the past?

My thoughts are that a 30mm tube will not be as bright as the current 34mm offering, but what of the optics???

It will be put on my AR15 for CSR in practical class.

Mick, they're exactly the same as a normal hunting S&B 3-12x50 - just with BDC turrets.

Had one as my first scope. Very nice; but best to think of it as a normal S&B with better turrets.

I don't think tube diam has any effect on light transmission, just on the space avail for turret mechanical movement (ie greater mechanical adjustment range).

It would/will be good to put a PM 1 & 2 side by side to see any difference.

If the same as the hunting scope then it will be more than good enough for CSR.

Thanks for the replys! :)

Ideal for hunting Fig 11's then :)

It should do the job a treat; I believe young Frankie uses an S&B 3-12x50, albeit a PMII.

Fred too, and Brian I think

There's a few more inc Greenie

My new Schmidt should be with me by the end of the month

There were two different commercial versions of the PM 3-12x50. One was an aluminium tube with bdc turret elevation from 100 to 500 yards (i.e. similar spec to the lesser mag PM scopes). The other was a milspec version with a steel tube and elevation to 1000 yards. The milspec version featured the AI style reticle (mildot with ranging stadia). I had the milspec version and also have the PMii 3-12x50. The glass on both PM and PMii versions is excellent; I'd say marginally better light gathering on the PMii version but the PM is an excellent scope too. See relevant pages below from the 1995 SuB sales brochure for the PM range which highlight reticles and other specs.

Schmidt%20and%20Bender%20Sales%20Brochur

There were two different commercial versions of the PM 3-12x50. One was an aluminium tube with bdc turret elevation from 100 to 500 yards (i.e. similar spec to the lesser mag PM scopes). The other was a milspec version with a steel tube and elevation to 1000 yards. The milspec version featured the AI style reticle (mildot with ranging stadia). I had the milspec version and also have the PMii 3-12x50. The glass on both PM and PMii versions is excellent; I'd say marginally better light gathering on the PMii version but the PM is an excellent scope too. See relevant pages below from the 1995 SuB sales brochure for the PM range which highlight reticles and other specs.

Great info - hadn't appreciated the steel / Al difference; my first was mil with AI ret; always wondered why it was shiny compared to the hunting models!

Using the weights in that brochure, just grabbed this out of the cupboard: 20 ounces - so it's a Police Al version - a useful easy way to tell which is which.

post-1450-0-23333900-1452443665_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked it up today! :)

It's an ex Spanish Army one that found it's self redundant after they upgraded to S&B 5-25X50's.

I hope to put it all together tomorrow but won't be able to fully test for about 14 days. Unless of course anybody has a good supply of 5.56mm blanks? :ph34r:

Nice one! Does this Spanish issue version have a bespoke reticle or the standard mildot/AI mildot with stadia?

Archived