140 Berger's VLD

I don't have a 6.5 atm but I want to build an LR rig for targets and vramintig at some stage.

Ballistically they seem superior to the A-Max but you i never hear of anyone using the VLDs.

Anyone have any experience with these bullets and how do they match up in comparison?

Cumbrian probably nails it.

The Berger VLD designs have dual reputation for target shooting-they are very accurate,but somewhat sensitive to seating depth (fiddly)...which is why the compromise BC/secant Hybrids-much more tolerant,have gained popularity.

Bergers are also considerably more expensive,which may deter some.....

Very doubtful that the Amax have the in box consistency to rival the Bergers either.

But it is questions about terminal performance-prone to pencil through-that discourages the choice of Berger VLD on live quarry.But not at all for target shooting-generally the best.

There may be better choices,by the time you need them,just as the introduction of Berger's hybrids much reduced the perceived target issues with their VLDs.

gbal

The particular bullet i am referencing is the Hunting VLD (Same spec just thinner jacket) I have read about people having problems with penciling from the target VLD. Most of the situations;considering, were in relation to bigger game such as "whitetail" and "Yotes". I wouldn't be looking to use the rifle on such game as big roe deer or anything else to that scale, most likely Crows, magpies, rabbits and what not. Would expansion be more forgiving in smaller animals or less due to the impact area involved.

The hybrids seem the cream as far as 6.5 rounds go!

But again, it boils down to ethics. Does velocity, placement and quarry type excuse the target pigeon hole make them acceptable rounds for this purpose?...

hunter686, you don't say what cartridge you have in mind. Many (most?) 6.5X47 Lapua users prefer 120-130gn bullets as they suit the cartridge's interrnal ballistics characteristics better than most 140s. The recently introduced 123gn models from Lapua, Hornady, and Sierra provide an outstanding combination of precision and external ballistics in this cartridge, the 260 Rem and 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor trio.The 260 Rem has long been popular with the 140gn Sierra or very similar Nosler Custom Comp at modest velocities for short / mid-range match use on cost and precision grounds, but again the 'new wave' of 123s has made considerable inroads there.

140s and the 142gn Sierra MK are the near norm for the larger case 6.5s, that is 6.5X55, 6.5X55AI, and 6.5-284. They are excellent bullets for any-range slowfire competition shooting, but their cartridges have been largely displaced by the sevens, either the 284, 7mm Shehane or short magnums in disciplines other than Bench Rest. Because many thin-jacket (J4s and suchlike) 6.5mm match bullets suffered in-flight failures (ie exploded) back when 6.5-284 was the long-range match shooter's first choice, thicker jackets and robust construction have become the norm, so all true match types will likely be very poor in the varmint role but especially the heavier models as the two previous posts suggest.

The bullet in question would be the 140gr. I habnr

hunter686, you don't say what cartridge you have in mind. Many (most?) 6.5X47 Lapua users prefer 120-130gn bullets as they suit the cartridge's interrnal ballistics characteristics better than most 140s. The recently introduced 123gn models from Lapua, Hornady, and Sierra provide an outstanding combination of precision and external ballistics in this cartridge, the 260 Rem and 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor trio.The 260 Rem has long been popular with the 140gn Sierra or very similar Nosler Custom Comp at modest velocities for short / mid-range match use on cost and precision grounds, but again the 'new wave' of 123s has made considerable inroads there.

140s and the 142gn Sierra MK are the near norm for the larger case 6.5s, that is 6.5X55, 6.5X55AI, and 6.5-284. They are excellent bullets for any-range slowfire competition shooting, but their cartridges have been largely displaced by the sevens, either the 284, 7mm Shehane or short magnums in disciplines other than Bench Rest. Because many thin-jacket (J4s and suchlike) 6.5mm match bullets suffered in-flight failures (ie exploded) back when 6.5-284 was the long-range match shooter's first choice, thicker jackets and robust construction have become the norm, so all true match types will likely be very poor in the varmint role but especially the heavier models as the two previous posts suggest.

My apologies! The bullet in question is the 140gr VLD.

I haven't settled on a 6.5 platform yet, originally I have settled on the .260 but I'm not apposed to going slightly in the other direction I.e x55 or a x47 will depend on findings and research. I have read your articles on 6.5's Laurie on accurateshooter, some good reading!

I have also considered the 7mm Win/SHEHANE firing the 162s, which on paper is miles ahead of any 6.5 round/bullet combo. But can I justify it? Hmm I don't know..

The particular bullet i am referencing is the Hunting VLD (Same spec just thinner jacket) I have read about people having problems with penciling from the target VLD. Most of the situations;considering, were in relation to bigger game such as "whitetail" and "Yotes". I wouldn't be looking to use the rifle on such game as big roe deer or anything else to that scale, most likely Crows, magpies, rabbits and what not. Would expansion be more forgiving in smaller animals or less due to the impact area involved.

I am referring to the hunting VLD bullets, they are very tough and I have had them pencil through stags in the past. If you want a good target/varmint head then hornady do a certain line of max bullets that will fulfil your dual requirement.

Archived