Out with the toys

David Hancock

Out with the toys this afternoon, sat tucked up in the barn to zero and play as the weather was absolutely foul and the hunt had spent the afternoon ripping across the back field.

The Howa and the Anschutz are wearing new Nightforce SHV with MOAR IL reticles. 5-20x56 on the Howa ,223 and 4-14x56 on the Anschutz .22LR

Pork Chop. I am slowly building myself a snug little nest. Piggies one side for company and to tease foxy, and my end of the barn with ferals in the roof - a few less today !! - 200 yards and a safe arc of fire with old feed troughs as my shooting bench.

No matter how much I love the .223, I still get a thrill from the Weihrauch .177

Had a couple of hw 100's ,one of the best out there.mate used to have a permission with an open barn and we used to get up on the bales and could shoot out to 500/600y but once shot a rat at 20y or so with a 17 fireball.we both miss that place

• 2 weeks later...

SNC - first it gives me accuracy - unlike your spelling of my name !!! - LOL

Why ??

2 - because I can (afford it)

3 - because I enjoy well engineered bombproof kit - have you tried the new Nightforce ???

4 - because it gives me total confidence in every shot

5 - because I love the reticle and get a perverse satisfaction out of the floating IL centre

6 - because I have a functional job to do for my farmers - for the same reason I have an Anschutz and not another brand

7 - because it is beautifully balanced

8 - therefore equals immense fun seeing the bullet impact the target at 120 yards and the capabilities of the scope at dusk

Is it £650 better than the Hawke on the HW100 ?? Aguably not in real life, but I don't give a hoot. I love the set up. :D:D:D

Dear SNC. I know you were, that is why I gave you such a nice reasoned professional reply as befits this forum.

I do have another opinion of you but I am not going to dignify your last post with a reply.

I'll leave your intemperate spiteful comment to the Moderators.

• 3 months later...

Thank you Gaz.

I was stuck between going for a HW66 Jagd-Match which I had in .17HMR, the HW66 Production (What is that you will say ?) and the Anschutz.

I did look at the Lithgow and the snake fluted CZ.

The new Finnfire is darned expensive compared to the original one I should never have sold.

I'm kack handed so took a Dremel to the rollover cheekpiece and chamfered the thumbhole. 15 minutes work, saved £90 and no one would know.

It loves Eley Subs - MOA all the shots you want at 75 metres and Ely Tenex - tighter group and louder. Does not like CCis.

The A-Tec CMM4 is a nicely finished piece of kit too.

The one comment I would have is that the new bolt is a fiddle compared to the old one which was much simpler to remove from / aligned / return into the action.

Archived