Exciting news

njc110381

Sorry guys but I've just got to have a little brag about this! As some of you may know already I got my rimfires opened about two months ago, which with less than six months experience (granted 11/07) was regarded as good going. Well the other day I realised that I was told I could have the .223 and 6.5x55 opened too when I got five written permissions, so went out on a favour run to some of my farmer people. With another three permissions signed off they were off to my FEO with a begging note, and now the FAC is back and open!

How great is that. Just a tad over seven months and I have all my rifles under open conditions. They've got a few minor details wrong (it's traditional you know) so it will have to go back, but never mind. I can't believe I'm allowed out on ground of my choice with my 6.5x55 so soon. I guess all my hard work has paid off, and is a good example to any beginner that if you put enough time and effort in you'll often get what you want.

Congratulations NJC. I am pleased to hear that you have an open ticket. I can remember when they were the norm. However, the requirement to get five written permissions to achieve the open ticket is a new one on me as permission is not required to be in writing. Seems like another wee rule your FEO has made up. That said though, it's good that you have your open ticket. Good luck to you and good hunting.

David.

Guest varmartin

I am very pleaded for you now that your restrictions have been lifted.

Now is the time to sit back and reflect, think about what a huge responsibility you have been granted .

The world is your oyster , you are in control of it and all those around you....safety is paramount.

Have fun too.. ;)

Thats good news :) , just a little advice just because you have an open dosent mean you have to be less cautious, seen a few guys down my kneck of the woods who have been granted an open and they think its a rite to roam :mad: ,

Where as before who would have known the ground well , now do a little home work on back stops ,footpaths and boundries.

I know this sounds negative but its just a word to the wise , now get out there and fill your boots Good Shooting Buddy ;)

Cograts on the open ticket,what is the actual wording on your cert to say that your ticket is open.....I only ask this because when i got my first cert i rang up the Firearms Dept to ask about an open ticket and they told me i had been granted one on my first application.....When i re-newed my cert recently i asked the FLO about it and he said that it is unusual to get an open ticket on your first application and that the restriction is normally lifted upon your first renewal.

I dont know if this varies from police force to another but its just what my FLO told me....There seem to be a lot of confusion about this even amongst the Flo's so i was just wondering how it was actually worded on your ticket.....

Regards Andy

Guest rogern

Heed the wise words in the posts.

Just remember tho, now the oweness is on you to deem the land safe & suitable for that calibre of firearm.

Enjoy the freedom with care

Thanks for the thoughtful replies chaps, there are some very good points there.

Andy, the wording is fairly simple. After all the talk of quarry species for each calibre it says "and for zeroing on RANGES or LAND over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot"

Why the caps lock I don't know, but that's how it's written?

The safety aspect some of you have pointed out is a little strange to me. You mean that some people will actually just shoot where they fancy it once open? That's pretty stupid!

I don't see that the safety aspect has changed that much. Whether cleared or not it's me and only me who decides if it's safe to fire. I know I have to choose the calibre myself now, but all guns need a backstop. My first permission that the police cleared for the 6.5x55 is slightly strange to me. It has a motorway on one end, a busy B road on the other and a lane to one side. Its flat as a bowling green too and only 170 acres. I've never fired my 6.5 there, and doubt I ever will unless I give it some serious thought and use a tall high seat! There are Deer there, so I got it cleared to prove my need for them on my ticket. So far I've only used the HMR there, and that was only in a couple of carefully picked areas.

I'm really pleased. Now I have more land to shoot Deer and Fox over, as they didn't really want the police poking about to clear it. It looks bad to the neighbours you know :lol:

Thanks for the thoughtful replies chaps, there are some very good points there.

Andy, the wording is fairly simple. After all the talk of quarry species for each calibre it says "and for zeroing on RANGES or LAND over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot"

Why the caps lock I don't know, but that's how it's written?

The safety aspect some of you have pointed out is a little strange to me. You mean that some people will actually just shoot where they fancy it once open? That's pretty stupid!

I don't see that the safety aspect has changed that much. Whether cleared or not it's me and only me who decides if it's safe to fire. I know I have to choose the calibre myself now, but all guns need a backstop. My first permission that the police cleared for the 6.5x55 is slightly strange to me. It has a motorway on one end, a busy B road on the other and a lane to one side. Its flat as a bowling green too and only 170 acres. I've never fired my 6.5 there, and doubt I ever will unless I give it some serious thought and use a tall high seat! There are Deer there, so I got it cleared to prove my need for them on my ticket. So far I've only used the HMR there, and that was only in a couple of carefully picked areas.

I'm really pleased. Now I have more land to shoot Deer and Fox over, as they didn't really want the police poking about to clear it. It looks bad to the neighbours you know :lol:

Thats what was on my certificate from day one i couldnt believe it when i was issued an open cert from day one.....

• 3 weeks later...

well the warwickshire firearms office are a very help full lot of people my rimfires and 223.rem are on a open ticket but they only grant a open ticket at first or second renewnal depending on ammo usage so have to wait for next year for the 308 to be open. a one for one variation was done with a phone call and letter enclosed with the old cert and transfere details.

Archived