Parker Hale target rifles

aam

Parker Hale target rifles seem to have a renewed interest here in Australia. No sooner are they advertised that they get snapped up in less than 24Hrs.

I must admit I have a soft spot for them. When I tried my hand at Fullbore 30yrs ago just to see what target shooting was all about, the rifle given to me to use was a PH 1200 TX :)

Are PH target rifles still being used your way? or have they all been squirreled away as collectables.

Parker Hale target rifles seem to have a renewed interest here in Australia. No sooner are they advertised that they get snapped up in less than 24Hrs.

I must admit I have a soft spot for them. When I tried my hand at Fullbore 30yrs ago just to see what target shooting was all about, the rifle given to me to use was a PH 1200 TX :)

Are PH target rifles still being used your way? or have they all been squirreled away as collectables.

The sad truth is they are no longer considered "competitive" amongest most TR shooters, although the 1200TX is probably the exception. P-H's No.4 conversions usually end up at auction being assett stripped for their sights and stocks.

There is however a classification for them to be shot along with other rifles of that period in the NRA (UK) class of Transitional Rifle, which the Historical Breech Loading Smallarms Association (HBSA) will have a classification ruling for. As we speak it's waiting to be accepted by the HBSA council.

Here is the draft for it:

"Conversions of the Lee Enfield No.4, P14 and P17 rifle by G.E. Fultons & Son, Herbert Whitaker (Whitaker Special), G.L. & I.J. Hart. Parker Hale T4. RSAF Enfield Lock Envoy and L39A1. Carl Gustav Model 63, Kongsberg M67, Shultz and Larsen M58 & M68."

I had a 1200TX which I recently sold in absolutely mint condition. I got a good price for it.

I have another one from a University shooting club that is completely shot out which I am rebarrelling.

They are excellent shooters up to 600 yards but (I'm told) they are not good enough for really long shots.

Anyway, the price of them is on the up and I'm glad I still have one.

Parker Hale TX1200 running a homeload of 155 Amax / 155 Bergers.....

being shot at 1017yds - not a boast - first round in chest area on figure11 then the next 10 in head area!!!

not bad for a old girl ;):D

1017yds.jpg

1017ydssteelchallenge.jpg

Shooting at WMS Steel challenge - great day and venue it was too...

DSCF3884.jpg

Locally we had 5 of us using 7 TX1200s and they all shot very well at range too!!! ;) ;)

Used mine for hunting too!!! ;)

Most old target rifles will be in good shape , with the exception of the barrel , most will be shot out and will need re-barreling , thats the case for my own TX1200 , the barrel is toast .

Just something to factor in when lookiing at the old PHs , especially the target versions , they get shoot alot more than say the hunting versions etc .

Agreed with these guys

They can be incredibly accurate!

Had a PH M84

what a rifle !!

Most accurate rifle ive ever fired bar none(I'm including the may custom rifles ive tried & owned )

Sold it & still regret it!

Agreed with these guys

They can be incredibly accurate!

Had a PH M84

what a rifle !!

Most accurate rifle ive ever fired bar none(I'm including the may custom rifles ive tried & owned )

Sold it & still regret it!

Know the feeling mate :(

Hope your keeping well ;)

Archived