A couple from last week

baldie

Don't seem to get chance to post much of late , but here's a couple from last week.

First up is a Tikka 595 that was bought as a Donor and re barrelled with a sassen 1 in 8" blank and chambered in 6mmBr.

IMG_1094_zpso8autgau.jpg

A third eye rail sits atop, and the muzzle it threaded 14mm x 1 and invisible capped.

IMG_1095_zpsfuqhqyts.jpg

Stock is a McMillan in urban cammo.

Paint is Ceracoat Mcmillan grey.

Fully stoned and tuned trigger.

IMG_1096_zpstubw2ela.jpg

Next up is a Gun in 6.5 creedmoor.

The brief was to build a rifle, similar looking to an AW .300.

The action is a Stiller Spectre and the barrel is a fluted HST Sassen in 1 in 8.5"

IMG_1088_zpso0azu1mp.jpg

Muzzle thread is the AI spec 18mm x 1.5 and follows their exact dimensions to allow brakes etc.

Invisible capped and finished in Graphite black ceracoat.

IMG_1086_zpszqbfdqyq.jpg

IMG_1085_zpsx3u6b5o6.jpg

IMG_1084_zpsakc0xh9z.jpg

Trigger is a Timney Calvin Elite.

Don't seem to get chance to post much of late , but here's a couple from last week.

First up is a Tikka 595 that was bought as a Donor and re barrelled with a sassen 1 in 8" blank and chambered in 6mmBr.

IMG_1094_zpso8autgau.jpg

A third eye rail sits atop, and the muzzle it threaded 14mm x 1 and invisible capped.

IMG_1095_zpsfuqhqyts.jpg

Stock is a McMillan in urban cammo.

Paint is Ceracoat Mcmillan grey.

Fully stoned and tuned trigger.

IMG_1096_zpstubw2ela.jpg

Next up is a Gun in 6.5 creedmoor.

The brief was to build a rifle, similar looking to an AW .300.

The action is a Stiller Spectre and the barrel is a fluted HST Sassen in 1 in 8.5"

IMG_1088_zpso0azu1mp.jpg

Muzzle thread is the AI spec 18mm x 1.5 and follows their exact dimensions to allow brakes etc.

Invisible capped and finished in Graphite black ceracoat.

IMG_1086_zpszqbfdqyq.jpg

IMG_1085_zpsx3u6b5o6.jpg

IMG_1084_zpsakc0xh9z.jpg

Trigger is a Timney Calvin Elite.

Hi Dave,

My Tikka is nicer in the flesh and looks even better now it has a scope on top. The loading gear turned up yesterday, so I'll be putting some together and taking her out soon. I just can't decide whether to go with the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 that I've bought, or the Nightforce 8-32x56 that I got from you. Whichever one I choose, the other will go on the Tikka T3 you've also worked on for me. Once the decision is made, I'll post a picture of the pair of them together...cracking!!!

Thanks for all your hard work, it's much appreciated.

Cheers. Paul

is that the tikka my mate was after Dave.its turned out well that's the stock we were talking about too i believe

Hi pork chop. I sourced the Tikka from Countryman at Derby. It was originally a .22-250 and I found the stock at Jacksons Rifles. As it was the only one he had for the 595 action I just had to take it; and with my wifes' input (sad, but true) we decided on the cerakote colour that we thought would work best with it (and would be a change to the black on my other Tikka (T3) which Dave has recently finished), as it was a McMillan stock, then a McMillan colour should be a "no-brainer". And it turned out really well; probably better than we first thought. As Dave had never used this colour before, he was really pleased with how it turned out and all credit to him for making me a magnificent piece of kit, that I'm really looking forward to using.

One happy bunny..... :D

The 6.5 Creedmoor is mine and it is even better in the flesh, so to speak. It really is a top-notch build. So that's two happy bunnies. Thanks Dave.

I'll be shooting it for the first time this Sunday.

You'll have to ensure your trigger finger is well washed, greased with the proverbially and that you crawl on all fours saying Hail Mary on the way to my firing point. Then, and only then, I may let you look at my new toy after I've protected it from the inevitable drool.

You'll have to ensure your trigger finger is well washed, greased with the proverbially and that you crawl on all fours saying Hail Mary on the way to my firing point. Then, and only then, I may let you look at my new toy after I've protected it from the inevitable drool.

Nice builds , what made you want it like a ai ? Probably a silly question

Bradders, George guessed correctly. Long range precision is what I'm interested in with this rifle, and although the old AI thumb hole stock is not everyone's cup of tea, I find it suits me very well.

A while back I shot next to a guy using an AI 300 WinMag, which got a lot of attention from me and other shooters but I didn't like the way the shooter kept rubbing his shoulder. Having then read a few reviews about the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the claims that it is ballistically better than the WinMag, it gave me the idea for this build; a WinMag look-alike but in the smaller cartridge.

Dave has done it beautifully.

Brillo,it's a nice idea.Recoil will be less (felt and actually),thus:

6.5 Creedmore/actually 260 Rem data 1.73 Relative recoil factor

308 for comparison 1.95

300 Win Mag 2.39

The Creedmore should not give away anything in precision terms,or accuracy-as it will be easier to shoot.

But ballistically superior to 300 Win Mag is untenable at long range,unless the particular Creedmore has a considerable accuracy advantage..possible,of course.

With its bets loading-the 230 Berger Hybrid OTM bullet at 2800,the 300 Win Mag will outshoot the 338lapua with 230/300 SMK/Scenars at 50fps of 2850, (but not the 300 Hybrids) at 1000+

The commonly used 190/220g bullets are nowhere near optimal in the 300WM (just as the 308 is at its kicking best with 220s just to keep up with the 6.5x284) and the 338 beats both the lighter bullets in 300WM across the board.

At lesser distances,ther may not be too much in it,and shootability/accuracy come in strongly.

Whatever,it's no fun to get kicked-especially to no great purpose!

Good shooting

gbal

Some interesting inromation there George, especially the bit about getting kicked to no great purpose. I can still see that guys face wince every time he squeezed the trigger and I can still feel my teeth chatter from the muzzle brake blast. :blink:

Most of my long range shooting is and will be at 1000 yards with the occasional 1200 and everything I've read and heard says the Creedmoor will do that job nicely.

Paul not sure what calibre the t3 is but for 100 yard load development the nightforce will work wonders on the 6br.

I run one on mine.

Hi there Scotch_egg.

My Tikka T3 is in .223, but I take your point on board regarding the load development on my 6br; and as I put the Nightforce on my Tikka as I didn't have either the 6br or the Vortex viper scope at the time, I'll look to change them both over and once I've started getting my loading up and running, I'll be out testing it out; hopefully over the Christmas break.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers. Paul

Re 100y testing:

There is a good reason 100y Bench Rest shoters used 36x scopes,and now favour 45x. This kind of excellent performance magnification really does help 'accuracy"-ie extractiong the intrinsic precision of the rifle and ammo,and shooting minimal sized groups(excellent rests,top wind reading skill too).

Unless you've tried it,it may seem minor-well,it probably is in the sense that reducing a good group down a tad to .2 or .3 moa is minor,in the ultimate scheme of practical shooting (but it's nice to know/show).

32x NF is a prettty good help in seeing if the rig has that kind of potential.Of course,if the rig has not got intrinsic precision -"potential" if you like -no scope etc can improve on that performance or relative lack thereof. A very good rest and wind and shooting skill are still needed to extract the more modest potential.

gbal

No , it wears very well. The safety hasn't been painted as its part of the trigger unit. The price I quoted for the job was for the barrelled action and rail.

Stripping out the trigger and painting the safety catch adds to the cost, thats all.

Archived