.172 barrel

gunner

Evening all , just been looking at 17 caliber barrels or lack of them , i knew krieger & bartlein didn't manufacture these , even Pac nor dont ! I thougt they did , i knew border did although there the button rifled archer , whats people using manufacturer wise ? Shilin rings a bell ? Taa .

Evening all , just been looking at 17 caliber barrels or lack of them , i knew krieger & bartlein didn't manufacture these , even Pac nor dont ! I thougt they did , i knew border did although there the button rifled archer , whats people using manufacturer wise ? Shilin rings a bell ? Taa .

mines a lw with a 1in9 twist.

dave

Knew i can count on you guys ;)

hi gunner my 17rem is a pacnor super match barrel dave.

Yeees sweet , 3 groove 9 twist , looking good . This is going to end up being a costly build i recon , stupid thing is its the smallest caliber :lol:

Perfect , have you broken up yet ? I could ring tomorrow ? Cheers

Hi gunner. My last .17 Rem had a L/W barrel i found it one of the easiest barrels to clean i have ever had in any caliber. I have a Pac nor on my fireball, thats a 10 twist it shoots 20,25s and 30s very accurately. But am trying a Border/ Sassen on my latest build, it will probly arrive to late to let you know how it performs. Must say tho i have only heard good things about them.

Hi gunner. My last .17 Rem had a L/W barrel i found it one of the easiest barrels to clean i have ever had in any caliber. I have a Pac nor on my fireball, thats a 10 twist it shoots 20,25s and 30s very accurately. But am trying a Border/ Sassen on my latest build, it will probly arrive to late to let you know how it performs. Must say tho i have only heard good things about them.

Im sure itl be one sweet shooter , if its the one brockNnorris is doing - he has a very good reputation , think he does special nato stuff we not allowed to talk about . Best of luck with it , keep us posted on the progress :)

Al , this is replacing my beautiful annie hmr , speck below . Im so excited already . Caliber 17 squirrel - dont laugh ! This is going to be a quirky little project .

CZ 527 hornet action striped & repainted in matt black probably by dave , bolt knob fetteled somehow (smallish tactical bolt knob) , there not the prettiest action - but solid

peformers . Barrel profile will probably be a straight taper and fluted - either shot or vapour blasted . 17" long 9 twist .

Boyds barracuda , with a few custom options ( Royal laminate ) - lovely colour and contrast . High gloss finished , but this last option im not sure it can come on the barracuda - its a lazer etched 'squirrel in crosshairs ' FKN fantastic i thought :lol: just have to work out who /how to get thru !

Moderator wise i not sure whats the best 17 specific ? And compact ? Will have a look at reviews .

Reamer wise im not sure dasherman has but even if not ill go to scorpion and purchase one , which could be loaned out to smiths such as yourself wanting to chamber this tiny reloadable beauty ;) itl be sometime next year probably march finish ! Cant wait - atb .

hi gunner if and when you get a barrel, I would go for a 1 in 9 twist I assume you will be using 25 gr bullets the 1 in 10 twist will not stabilize some bullets e,g 25gr vmax hope your build is is a good un I pesonaly use 25 gr bergers they are great dave

hi gunner if and when you get a barrel, I would go for a 1 in 9 twist I assume you will be using 25 gr bullets the 1 in 10 twist will not stabilize some bullets e,g 25gr vmax hope your build is is a good un I pesonaly use 25 gr bergers they are great dave

Thanks dave , i thought 9 twist , but ill probably end up using 20 grainers as it to replace a hmr and need it to shoot to a max 200 anything more thtl be .20p area , so if i switch to 25s should be good with 9t . BTW Do the bergers expand anything like the Vmax ? Maximum carnage wanted :lol: . Iv missed shooting a 17 cal rimfire size handy rifle , often out the van window as i drive in / out of 2 farms my annie accounted for many magpie sometimes in 2s and 3s - great shooting . Atb

Mines a LW 1-9" stainless. Doesnt hardly foul and very accurate.

Glad you got a good one , is it .17 ? What pills do you find best for expantion ? my first custom barrel was LW and i could never get it clean , accuracy was regularly eratic - i never got to the bottom of it . Plus my smith wont touch them . Iv got a krieger on my .20p and pac-nor on the 6br , ill probably get pac-nor for the 17 as i think thats what my smith has mostly . Atb

hi gunner id still go for a 1 in 9, then you you can use either weight bullets, I tried 25 gr vmax years ago but they had problems with the quality of them, so I switched to bergers they perform brilliant they expand fantastic ive took fox out at 300 yds no problem, when I was in the usa I was talking to a shooter who uses a 17rem he uses it on all stuff within reason, and shoots a lot of coyotes its his favourite calibre he put me onto bergers ive took crows and magpie jays rabbits out at 400 yds no problem, im not saying vmax are no good I think the bergers perform better. im not a long range shooter by any means. ill take fox at 50 yds if I can. I like calling them in but the 17 will perform great at other distances to, thats what you have to decide. as long as it is a safe shot, over the last number of years ive taken more fox with my 17 than my 22.250 any way good luck gunner and have a merry xmas keep in touch with your build cheers dave.

Dave t , are you aware Berger has stopped production on there 20 25 & 30 grain match FB varmint ? This post date was November 2012 mind , so may be ok now ? Cheers

Glad you got a good one , is it .17 ? What pills do you find best for expantion ? my first custom barrel was LW and i could never get it clean , accuracy was regularly eratic - i never got to the bottom of it . Plus my smith wont touch them . Iv got a krieger on my .20p and pac-nor on the 6br , ill probably get pac-nor for the 17 as i think thats what my smith has mostly . Atb

Mine is a 17 Rem. Good from day 1. Have only used 25g grain bullets so far. Hornady 25 HP and Berger 25 match varmint.

Bergers are my favourite. More expansion.

hi gunner, yep I did know about the bergers, but I have enough bergers to last me till I pop my clogs, my bergers are 25gr match v as toby said the expansion is awesome I bought a job lot of them while in the usa loads of them oh and while we are on the subject, a little tip which my friend in the usa showed me , was when cleaning your 17, use a 22cf bore guide and 1-1/8 22cf patches, with of course a good 17 rod and jag and never use a copper bronze brush the 17 patches are to small. dave.ps we should get a 17 calibre section on the forum .

Good to know about bore guide , yeah allot of talk about 17 atm - half of its from me lol , hope im not boring people with it :lol: really miss my hmr , but once iv got a small lightish quiet 17 again ill be happy ... 17 section ? sounds good

post-12796-0-17890600-1450697540_thumb.jpghi gunner yeah great topic give us a pm when you get your build done and I,ll send you some bergers to try have a great Christmas mate all the best dave. ps ive added a pic of my 17 sako vixen,

Archived