thinking about NV?

terryh

Afternoon,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a NV set up, I'm not looking for a dedicated rifle and would actually like whatever it 'is' to be able to swap, along with te associated illuminator, between two very similar rifles, one a 22rf the other a 223, both basically AR configurations.

NV is not my main shooting effort but oppertunities are coming up for some rabbit and fox etc. hence my interest.

Now the Ward D 700 unit that goes onto the occular looks a 'neat' solution and as both rifles have the same scope so any adaptor would swap OK. Alos putting a length of weaver rail onto the forend would allow the illuminator to be swapped.

So views please on this concept?

Also what iluminator or illuminators would work for either cartridge i.e. 22rf out to 70 + yards, 223 out to what 200/250 yards?

Input appreciated?

thanks Terry

Terry, I've gone for be yukon photon xt 6.5x50 as a first step into the world of NV.

What will help people in the know about add on units is what make and model scope you intend to use it on. Some work much better than others.

I am aware that a Drone pro front mounted add on is due to be released imminently that if the dedicated unit is anything to go by will be very good.

On the illumination front the black sun AS illuminators a are what you need. I have the B501 from Clive at the nightvision store. There is a few different sizes which I am sure someone will be able to recommend for your use.

Hi Terry,

I've dropped you an e-mail.

Provided your scopes are compatable then I would suggest the WDV and either the new Black Sun B501 or B502 IR. Run it on full power for long range foxing and low/medium for the .22

Adjustable mount shouldn't be ncessary because the LED is perfectly centred on these so as long as your scope and forend are decent then a simple 25mm QR would suffice.

Cheers

Clive

The WDV 700 is the best performing rear add-on available at the moment.

The upcoming Armasight rear add-on (Remora) still doesn't have any delivery date and will probably be significantly more expensive

Front add-ons are a pain to set up and zero, so moving one from rifle to rifle will be annoying to say the least.

Re illuminators - I'd agree with Clive, although the B20 would be more than enough for rimfire ranges.

Cheers

Bruce

Gents,

Thank you for the responses! Answering the points:

Both the rifles now wear March scopes, the 22rf a 1-10, the 223 a 2.5-25, both focus down to 10m on full power.

The rifles are physically the same, so lining up the illuminator should not be a problem:

Brace1_zpsd351a481.jpg

Re. fwd mount - have not seen one that compares performance vs price that equals the WD 700.

I'm 'told' that the coatings on March's are compatable with NV & IR illumintors.

T

Gents,

Thank you for the responses! Answering the points:

Both the rifles now wear March scopes, the 22rf a 1-10, the 223 a 2.5-25, both focus down to 10m on full power.

The rifles are physically the same, so lining up the illuminator should not be a problem:Brace1_zpsd351a481.jpg

Re. fwd mount - have not seen one that compares performance vs price that equals the WD 700.

I'm 'told' that the coatings on March's are compatable with NV & IR illumintors.

T

I use a March X with my Archer and it's by far the best scope I've used with a NV unit.

Any chance of a reply to my post at 5. above please, Clive? Or from anyone else with relevant experience?

Try before you buy service would be handy (as scottcountry do). I've a good friend looking for something similar, he got a starlight arrow to try off a local game keeper with the view of buying it if he liked it. It was carp and he could of easily been £500 down, it doesn't help that he's had a good go with my drone pro so he expecting a lot for his money....

Any chance of a reply to my post at 5. above please, Clive? Or from anyone else with relevant experience?

Hi there,

Sorry I missed that. Yes it does work well with the Swaros.

Older ones, particularly with adjustable objective are very good.

The best scope we have found for the Ward D Vision 700 at the better quality end of the scale is the Sightron S-TAC.

Cheers

Clive

Try before you buy service would be handy (as scottcountry do). I've a good friend looking for something similar, he got a starlight arrow to try off a local game keeper with the view of buying it if he liked it. It was carp and he could of easily been £500 down, it doesn't help that he's had a good go with my drone pro so he expecting a lot for his money....

ANY online purchase is covered by the distance selling regulations which allow you to return goods (undamaged and in original packaging) up to 14 days after purchase and get a full refund - no reason required.

So as long as you buy online you have a 100% legal "try before you buy"

Cheers

Bruce

ANY online purchase is covered by the distance selling regulations which allow you to return goods (undamaged and in original packaging) up to 14 days after purchase and get a full refund - no reason required.

So as long as you buy online you have a 100% legal "try before you buy"

Cheers

Bruce

Remember though if you so much as put the tiniest scratch on it , damage the packaging etc you are stuck with it , also the retailer does not have to refund you for 30 days.

Hi All,

I can't speak for other retailers, but anyone buying from us can try our products for 14 days and if they want to return it for any reason within that time, there will be absolutely no 'difficulties' in processing a refund.

I can't understand the mindset of companies that get all slopey shouldered when it comes to refunds. :blink: All it costs us as a company is a little bit of time putting the goods back through manufacture and a bit of postage cost sending it to the customer in the first place.

Cheers

Clive

Does anyone now how the d700 compares to the nitesite wolf/eagle?

It's far better and much more user friendly than any of the Nitesh**e products

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers for that ,is it as simple as it looks ? also looking at you tube the quality seems to vary a lot will that be down to the filming and the scope used?

cheers neil

Clive, does the 700 work ok with a leupold vx3?

Hi MJR,

It will work on fixed parallax scopes up to 4.5 - 6x mag depending on the objective size.

Then adjustable objective or side focus that goes down to 50 yards will get you up to about 8x mag.

If the parallax can get down to 35 yards or so, then you can use 20+ mag.

Cheers

Clive

Cheers for that ,is it as simple as it looks ? also looking at you tube the quality seems to vary a lot will that be down to the filming and the scope used?

cheers neil

Hi Neil,

Yep it is that simple. Stick it on the back of your scope and once the focus is set for your eye (which only needs doing once) then the only user control is the on off button.

Recording is very tricky. Even using a very high end DVR we still can't reproduce how good the view through the unit is.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Neil,

Yep it is that simple. Stick it on the back of your scope and once the focus is set for your eye (which only needs doing once) then the only user control is the on off button.

Recording is very tricky. Even using a very high end DVR we still can't reproduce how good the view through the unit is.

Cheers

Clive

Thanks for the info.

cheers Neil.

Archived