Savage 12 FTR in .308

Hi All

I was thinking of getting another .308 for club FClass comps from 600-1000yds. I just wandered if anyone had some feedback on the Savage 12 FTR?

Also, any info on a good workable load for those distances.

Many Thanks

Gary

Interestingly, at the recent F Class Nationals in the USA, there were 56 shooters in the FTR/308 class. 19 used the 185gn Berger - the rest used 200 - 215gn bullets. There is definitely a trend.....

I already have an FTR .308 and are happily using the Berger 185gr Juggernauts. They seem to work nicely in my rifle

Vince,indeed;and as I've suggested elsewhere,here is some ofthe reasoning perhaps,behind this trend....

To just equal the 142g BC .565 bullet @2950 in 6.5 (x284)- one time benchmark cartridge- a 308 calibre needs a 220 bullet (BC.627) 2650.

Increase velocity a bit,and you can use a pro rata lighter bullet (BC too,as long as compensation occurs ).

While that keeps 30 cal "competitive' in Open competition ballistically (but not in all wind beating strategies), it's not surprising that closed class 308 win shooters have seen the advantages too,and are adopting the heavier bullets....in a nutshell,ballistically they have advantages over the lighter 30 cal bullets-which is all that is needed in closed 308w cal competitions-you (only !)) have to beat other 308w

shooters,not all comers including the current hot cartridges in 7,6.5,6 etc.

And you can continue to do so for a bit longer with the same barrel ,if not shoulder -as you will still have to keep within weight limits and absorb more recoil. :-)

gbal

Bullet-dodger - just read your 'bottom-line' - how does the 6.5-284 work with a 26 inch barrel? What powder and bullets are you using? Any m/v readings?

Hi

I was using N560 54.5gr and chrono at just over 3050fps. Going to try some N165 to see is I can save some barrel life!!!!!

Bullet-dodger - just read your 'bottom-line' - how does the 6.5-284 work with a 26 inch barrel? What powder and bullets are you using? Any m/v readings?

Hi

I was using N560 54.5gr and chrono at just over 3050fps. Going to try some N165 to see is I can save some barrel life!!!!!

Hi

Sorry, forgot to mention, the above with Lapua Scenar L 136gr, Lapua cases, CCI primers

I have a savage FTR and ive found the 155 Palma (2156) SMK with 46gn of RS50 works well, Im getting 3050 fps and good accuracy at 1000yds, for the money they take some beating

Edit, Ive found The sierra 2156 is a bit fussy regarding jump and i'm loading to 70 thou off the lands, but I do intend to experiment some more

I have a savage FTR and ive found the 155 Palma (2156) SMK with 46gn of RS50 works well, Im getting 3050 fps and good accuracy at 1000yds, for the money they take some beating

Edit, Ive found The sierra 2156 is a bit fussy regarding jump and i'm loading to 70 thou off the lands, but I do intend to experiment some more

70 thou is quite some jump! and its funny, if you put your data into Quickload, it only comes up as 2779fps!

Sorry, just double checked my data, my mistake it's 47.5 grn of rs50 for 3050 fps thats with Palma cases and federal match primers,

Archived