22lr target upgrade time?

527vamint

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that Anschutz is an ISSF standard model and is single feed only. I looked at one in the shop when I picked up my Feinwerkbau 2700 and that was definitely a single shot action.

Yes I could be wrong , there are many different models, it's mind boggling. I did look through a 2013 trade catalogue today,but I forgot the exact model I was after.

Just out of interest, does your competition require a magazine? Is there a speed element?

I ask because if you want the absolute pinnacle in small bore accuracy then the ISSF rifles are the way to go. .22 is mostly about the ammo and the main reason ISSF rifles are single shot is because even the best designed magazine can deform the bullets as they are fed and chambered which adds some variance.

You can swap sights as well.

Mine with its normal diopter sights

my2700.jpg

And with a scope when I felt like having some fun at 100m

2700scoped.jpg

There's nothing quite like a 50 gramme trigger.

The main comp doesn't require a mag or scope and also isn't timed. The made up comps run each week are usually timed and 10shot.The Club has a couple of anschutz's, an older 54 model and a newer version,both with the iron sights,both are single feed. I could just use those, I would rather have my own,Im sure I will find exactly what I'm looking for eventually.

Your rifle looks very futuristic and a bit of of my price bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

I've progressed thru' the 10/22, to CZ to the MPR and have found it to be an exceptionally accurate rifle. Our local club also runs a 'no-single shots - for score - 22RF comp' at 105 yards so the MPR with the 10 round mags fits. Triggers as good as you can get - period! But the current price is about £500 too much. Look on the Snipers hide 22RF section to see what people are getting accuracy wise, multi group, at 50,100, & 200 yards

If I was wanting to put together an accurate 22RF magazine fed now I would buy a donor CZ (remembering the Walther KKM target rifle was based on this action), a 3 groove (or if I could 2 groove?) Benchmade barrel and bed it into the Boyds stock. Trigger, main spring, bolt handle etc. as trimmings. Single biggest obstacle is a 22RF Smith in the UK.

T

Terry,

That's the way I'm going - have a CZ455 (which is allegedly switch-barrel) in a Boyds stock with the standard barrel at present. I have one of Baldie's one-piece rails on it and a breathed-on trigger (just used a spring kit on it, but have a Timney unit on another rifle that I could swap). I am hoping that at some point in the future, someone will start making superior CZ455 barrels and it will be perfect.

Only other thing is scopes - I unthinkingly put my Leupold Mk4 LR/T 6.5-20 on it, but the parallax focus becomes "iffy" at less than 50m - may have to start looking at an airgun type scope, I guess.

Brian,

Only other thing is scopes - I unthinkingly put my Leupold Mk4 LR/T 6.5-20 on it, but the parallax focus becomes "iffy" at less than 50m - may have to start looking at an airgun type scope, I guess.

You could add one of the Leupy focus reducing 'things' in the objective lens - but all they were was a lens cover with a slightly reduced diameter, just gave greater depth of field.

T

As resident magazine geek (I run http://riflemags.co.uk) let me allay your magazine worries:

• The Anschutz MPR and Biathlon will handle the Anschutz 5 and 10 round standard steel magazines (as per their hunting line). You can also use the Biathlon magazines which feature a red base grip for easy changes.
  • The Finnfire Mk I (Sako P94s) uses a proprietary straight 10 round aluminium magazine, they are still manufactured but feed issues on round 10 is common (a straight mag design with little interior wiggle room isn't the best for rimfire )
  • The Finnfire MkII (a tweaked Quad) uses aluminium Quad magazines which come in 5 and 10, they are a bit roomier and 'usually' handle all 10 OK
  • CZ 452 and 455 - no issues, will designed extremely reliable curved polymer magazines in 5, 10 and now 25 round versions.

I've also been musing about a nicely stocked LSR rifle, if money was no limit I would be sorely tempted by the Anschutz Biathlon rifle with the rapid cycling Fortner action. At 3.7kg though that doesn't leave much room for scopes. Plus nearly £2k new! I'd be well chuffed to find a second hand one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just lucked into an old Finnfire sporter - absolute mint condition for £500.

Shoots a dream but I will be working on the trigger to lower the pull weight.

I'm getting rid of my two Anschutz rifles, one of which is a sporter that I rebarrelled with 16" cut from the middle of an Anschutz 54 barrel, the other is one of the 14" barreled sporters

Terry,

That's the way I'm going - have a CZ455 (which is allegedly switch-barrel) in a Boyds stock with the standard barrel at present. I have one of Baldie's one-piece rails on it and a breathed-on trigger (just used a spring kit on it, but have a Timney unit on another rifle that I could swap). I am hoping that at some point in the future, someone will start making superior CZ455 barrels and it will be perfect.

Lilja makes very good SS barrels for CZ 455

I mounted a Leopold on my rifle which has a minimum focus of 50m. Fitting a butler creek and drilling a 5mm hole dead centre of it makes the scope work down to 10m. Eye position is affected but once you find the right position, optic quality is the same.

Better still you can make up a key to undo the lock ring in the front objective lens assembly,,,,it has two slots in it,,,,loosen off then screw the lens carrier either out or in to move the parallax{focus} range wherever you want it

.In my old field target days this would would adjust quite nicely over the 10 to 60 yard range and for rimfire you could take this to an increased range say 25 to 100 perhaps.Talk to some field target boys they may be able to help with this,,,,,,,O

Sounds like madness to me, spending good money on a perceived improvement put into your head good marketing and a need to constantly improve cz don't carry the weight of the anschuts but they shoot just as well at 25 yards mine puts 10 through the same hole off a bag there's not much room for improvement.....

Good morning Kenny,

Concur with your comment re. differences @ 25 yards and agree that you probably do not 'need' to change anything on a CZ (caveat: perhaps the trigger could do with a fix = simple and inexpensive). If we looked at things honestly then 95% of folks do not 'need' any form of custom rifle - but the nice thing is we can if we want.

So it is really down to what you want to 'get' from your rifle (and you have to be honest with yourself on this!) Personnel example, I shoot an Annie MPR and was considering changing the barrel for a 2 groove Benchmade from March Scopes, but I sat down and thought about it, the rifle shoots better then me, if I tested/purchased a batch of the right ammo for the gun it would be a better return, so I did no go down that route. Also not being able to find a gunsmith to do the work also nipped it in the bud :(

So what do you want to (honestly) achieve? Does the rifles do all you want? Do you like to tinker etc. This then drives what folks do, like any hobby or interest i.e. A Porsche cannot do anything legally on a Briitish road that a Kia cannot achieve - but the Porsche is 'sexy' (and chicks dig them :) )

Terry

Kenny - I agree with Terry and you on the 25m differences between the CZ/Anschutz. Mind you, there are a lot of comps taking place with .22 rf at longer distances these days. For me - I am sure an Anschutz is more accurate than a CZ, but in my hands? - Nah, I doubt I could tell the difference!!

I wanted a .22rf which was similar in form and "feel" to my .308. so that I could get in some cheap and quiet positional practice (I seem to spend too much time at the range on my belly with the rifle on a bipod). I chose the CZ because I could get a stock that suited my needs for it, and as I said above, for me, its more than accurate enough. The fact that I can get an aftermarket match grade barrel for it is a bit of a bonus, which I might investigate if I ever get to the point that I think I am being hampered by the rifle's current capability.

Am I mad? - undoubtedly - my mrs tells me so all the time!! Am I being led on by marketing? - possibly, but only to the extent I am getting what I want to achieve out of my pastime. I do not spend money I cannot afford on it.

Now if only I can find enough time to get in a decent amount of practice......

Archived