Whats the shortest you can get AR straight pull ?

SWShooter

Whats the shortest an AR straightpull can be built legally for the UK , ie with 12" barrel and collapsible stock , can they be built close to the minimum OAL 24"?

I`m thinking one would be good for foxing out of the LR window along with a quad rail for NV and IR mounting .

York Guns had one in around a year ago, the brand escapes me I think it was freedom arms or American Arms or something along those lines.

It was extremely short, it had an ASE Utra Jet-Z permanently fitted to the barrel which made it legal. I nearly bought it, a very, very smart and handy little gun that I would have used for foxing.

York Guns had one in around a year ago, the brand escapes me I think it was freedom arms or American Arms or something along those lines.

It was extremely short, it had an ASE Utra Jet-Z permanently fitted to the barrel which made it legal. I nearly bought it, a very, very smart and handy little gun that I would have used for foxing.

If my sums are right, that would make it about a 6 inch barrel plus the welded Jet-Z in order to stay legal. Just as well there's a moderator!

But as .300 said, can you not legally go shorter if you have a welded moderator or flash hider? Though personally, I think that 12" is plenty short enough for any practical purpose!

Correct

I have some 12 1/2" ones in the for sale section if you want to see what one looks like

as you need to have the Stock/LOP set properly so you can aim it OAL when collapsed isn't quite so relevant tho Nice :)

My Rifle (Not a AR style) is a Bolt gun in a MDT chassis it has a 16.5" barrel and is still legal on OAL of 600mm when you take the Buffer tube off completely even without a MOD(or used a folding stock) so nothing behind the Pistol grip But tho easy to deploy would be difficult to aim and Shoot ....... (maybe easier or not on NVD as i have Wireless goggles so don't need to look directly thro the scope)

17HMR is a 14" barrel and when folded in its AICS is just over the 600mm min without the MOD

This .300 Whisper is hot off the press this morning.

The barrel is 305mm and the rifle with stock removed is roughly 16 3/8" or 670mm

ADDB7DD3-F1B4-4BA8-BC2D-438685C91D57_zps

Nice , so for the UK I guess the shortest feasible length is around 27"-28" with a collapsed stock.

So it does seem the AR is the most realistic way to achieve a carbine/sub-carbine , AUG`s can be had down to the legal limit but as far as I know accuracy and triggers are questionable.

So it does seem the AR is the most realistic way to achieve a carbine/sub-carbine , AUG`s can be had down to the legal limit but as far as I know accuracy and triggers are questionable.

Yes, I would agree with that

What are you trying to achieve?

Yes, I would agree with that

What are you trying to achieve?

Trying to achieve ....

• A foxing rifle that can be easily used out the window of a 4x4 , hence the shorter the better.
  • A rifle that can be upgraded relatively easily ie trigger kits and a big range of other off the shelf accessories+cheap mags
  • Ease of mounting NV and IR illuminator(s) so a quad rail fore end , also the option of iron sights if required.
  • Good choice of factory ammo(5.56/.223)
  • Something that will put up with few knocks when bounced around in the back of a 4x4
  • Something that sticks two fingers up to Mike "Belter" Yardley.

Trying to achieve ....

• A foxing rifle that can be easily used out the window of a 4x4 , hence the shorter the better.
  • A rifle that can be upgraded relatively easily ie trigger kits and a big range of other off the shelf accessories.
  • Ease of mounting NV and IR illuminator(s) so a quad rail fore end , also the option of iron sights if required.
  • Something that will put up with few knocks when bounced around in the back of a 4x4

As i say not an AR but you could do in black and you can remove the Buffer tube as it's not needed to operate unlike an AR

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/30779-finally-got-my-traditional-stalking-rifle/

Trying to achieve ....

• A rifle that can be upgraded relatively easily ie trigger kits and a big range of other off the shelf accessories+cheap mags
  • Good choice of factory ammo(5.56/.223)

Ideal

Here's a pic of the finished article

DSC04320_zps5cz9avi4.jpg

Archived