Old Warrior

baldie

Finished this a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had time to post it.

Anyway, the brief was to rejuvenate this old AW.

It was to be re barrelled in 6.5 Creedmoor and the old barrel retained [ .308 ]

A Bartlien blank was chosen and duly machined up and fitted.

IMG_3327_zpsetdeyyte.jpg

Forget the exact length, but 24" rings a bell. The muzzle was screwcut in the correct AI 18mm x 1.5 pitch , and the thread covered with an invisible cap.

IMG_3324_zpscwioeuah.jpg

IMG_3323_zpszn4vf5sl.jpg

The customer wanted it painting in H series graphite black. That can't be done and baked at 300 degrees without buggering the bedding. Someone has thrown some sort of paint at the poor thing, without any form of prep, or thought as to how it would look/dry.

Typical of some of the bodgers who claim to be painters these days.

The action was removed from the chassis and the barrelled action painted properly.

It was then re bedded with the correct factory compound and the correct brass spacers.

In other words....done properly.

IMG_3321_zpsg1zsy3re.jpg

The moderator for it is a new Jet-z in matching paint.

The chassis itself has a pair of viper skins with the extra fat grip, and is very nice indeed.

IMG_3325_zpsgofzcijt.jpg

IMG_3326_zps4ubqhnla.jpg

Just an aside.....this is why the creedmoor works so well....these are 140 grain bullets, and will be around 10 thou off the lands. Check out the mag room....

IMG_3322_zps0mogejpg.jpg

Took the gun up to Diggle on a lousy day [ normal Diggle weather ] and zeroed it with 10 rounds. Then the guys were plinking at a tennis ball on the backstop at 400 yards. My friend gave me the come ups from his creedmoor and I then proceeded to hit it 3 shots out of 5.

Great calibre built on an Icon.

I was talking to the owner yesterday , to say he's looking forward to getting it home would be an understatement! Nice work again Dave and with any luck I'll get a shot out of it by Christmas, weather and JP permitting :D

PS I think it's 26"

Archived