'OP' here, thanks all. I intend to home load, if that helps, and restrict my choice to either .260 or 6.5x55. Having said that, I have yet to start loading my own so at present know little about it!

A couple of further questions . . .

1) I have read that the Swede is more flexible in terms of bullet weight and design, seating depth etc, so that's one point in its favour. Would this suggest it's possible to get a flatter shooting platform using the Swede? It's more-roomy case holding more powder and tolerating larger variations in seating depth etc.

2) However aside from issues like flat trajectory etc, effecting accuracy at long range, would it be the case that shorter case of the .260 materially enhances accuracy in terms of constancy, owing to better powder burn characteristics in short action cases? I'm thinking here of how the '30 ought 6' fell from favour with target shooters following the advent of the .308, which was found to be a more consistent round than the more flexible (in terms of bullet weight etc) .30/06?

3) Also what about barrel life; someone earlier mentioned (if I understood correctly) that the .260 operates at higher chamber pressures than the Swede, for a given muzzle velocity. Is this good or bad? Does throat erosion increase with pressure, or only with velocity? Excuse my ignorance here please!

Archived