Sako M10

Rabbitter

Fellas!

Has anyone got their hands on an M10? The only feedback I can find is on American sites.

regards

Ian

Yep - they are a bit expensive, but so was my ex - and I would rather cuddle up to an M10. :blush:

Yes, shot one a couple of weeks back in .338.

Its nice. However it has the manners of a rollerskating pig on firing....

Shoots just like a Barratt 98B apart from its accurate.

Personally I think its too light for a 338 as it hops allover the place. But I'll bet its a real darlin' in .308.

Loved the stock and also the butterknife style bolt handle. Trigger is superb too.

Barrel changing is apparently slow....as in 10 minutes.

Its ridiculously overpriced....

As its obviously built to take on the AI AXMC , it fails. Its not in the same league, and its 4 grand dearer.

It is however, different and a very nice gun. Definately worth looking at if Sako,s are your thang....

Thanks Baldie. I recall you mentioning on a thread somewhere that you really rated the AXMC, but were interested in shooting the M10.

Your conclusions are disappointing for me. My plan was to buy one in .308 then get a .338 kit for it at a later date. If it doesn't have good manners when shooting .338 LM, then it's not much good to me.

I am a Sako fan, so I was hoping that it compared favourably with the AXMC which is my alternative choice anyway. I read that you are now an official AI Grand Wizard - congratulations. Do you know if any RFD can order an AI in, or do I need to deal with Sporting Services?

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

At the cost of these rifles, you owe it to yourself to look at both. Don't take my word for it.

I am an AI fan , so that is bound to influence me.

However, The sako does shoot like lighter weight guns such as the Barratt....and I don't like that. I've never had that feeling with any AI and trust me, you have to be totally comfortable with a 338 , or it WILL upset you.

Any RFD with an account with Sporting services can get you a gun.

If you are ever up north, near Diggle, you are welcome to try my AI.

If I can add my two 2p worth, I have shot the M10 but only configured in 308 calibre. I was most impressed with it right up until I heard the price. The guys who shot it in 338 said it was superb but as has been mentioned it does kick a bit. In 308 it was fine. The trigger and bolt were up to Sako`s usual high standard. I still don't like the safety in the trigger guard and prefer the AI system. The M10 felt significantly lighter than the AXMC which I am assuming would be why it recoils that much more in 338.

I have also used the AI AX with the multi calibre setup. Now, I am a huge AI fan and own two of them but I was disappointed with the one I tried. It was configured in 308 and just didn't feel right. It was nowhere near as smooth as the M10 and we had a few miss feeds with it. It just didn't feed as smooth as the Sako, as I said, this is just my opinion on the one I shot, it's still a fantastic bit of kit.

The AT308 however was up to expectations and shot without fault producing nice tight groups.

Given the funds I would be happy with either but there is a big price difference but this is nothing new with Sako. My TRG accessories were ridiculously expensive compared to AI.

Hope this helps.

Mat

Rabbitter, I would say that it is worthwhile getting behind a DTA srs in 338 and a AI AXMC. The AI is a bigger lump but that can be an advantage if only shooting prone. The Dta is better for positional shooting and carting around.

There are other 338's but the Ai and DTA are easy to rebarrel with both factory or after market tubes.....which is a consideration with about 1500 round barrel life. That's my thoughts having owned an AW338, still owning an Aw 308 and owning a DTA in both 338 and 308.

They are way over priced in my opinion ( the M10 ) , as nice as Sako TRGs are they are still not quite up to the level of a AI rifle , and thats from owning 3 TRGs and several AIs .

In reguard to the comment of misfeed on the AXMC in 308 , i take it this is the magnum lenght gun , using the adapter block in the magwell , the 1st adapter blocks where not that well designed/made , and where of a nylon/plastic material .

That issue is I think now sorted out , with a redesign that has a steel paw that limits the amount the 308 AW mag can be pushed into the well , so it seats better & dose not overtravel like before , and the material is now aluminium instead of plastic , somethings just require enduser feed back to correct .

So in my opinion , IF you must have a single rifle to run , 308,300,338 , then buy a AXMC magnum rifle & conversion kits , BUT in my opinion, you would be much better served in buying 2 AI rifles , a AXMC in 338 & a AT in 308 , this is 2 rifles , and the price difference between , the 2 options is very small , and having 2 rifles , is MUCH better / versitile etc , and suits the clibres a bit better .

Why because once you add up the cost of barrel , mags , adapter , bolts & firing pin assemblies , the price will be almost the same , maybe a little dearer for the 2 gun option , but not that much .

Go 2 guns is my recommedation , having , used and owning , AW, AWM , AX338 .

Not the answer you wanted .

Later Chris

Archived